65pony

.357 Suggestions

Been looking to purchase a .357 and have narrowed down to two, S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 any suggestions out there as to which stands out as a better choice, know that it depends on individual but would like to hear pro's and con's before making purchase.

If you are buying new, go with the Ruger GP100. It's built like a tank and Ruger's customer service every bit as good as S&W. If you want a pricey/fancy 357, then the S&W Performance Center guns are really nice.

If you are buying something older (i.e. from the 80's or earlier), which would be my recommendation since I feel they are MUCH better made, get the Smith&Wesson. I am not a fan of new S&W revolvers. Too many MIM parts for me and I have problems with the internal lock. If you have questions about these things, please use the search function here or Google. There are a lot of threads on this forum and others about MIM and internal locks on Smith wheel guns.

Keats can you make it to BA on a Tue night?

Good idea Joe.

Keats, I have a S&W Model 28 from 1970. It is an N frame and is built to withstand anything you put through it. If you can make it to BA on Tuesday, I'll bring it.

I will bring the 686 Pro. Someone has to have a GP100 for comparison.

Wolfy, a 686 PRO vs GP100 isn't really a fair comparison either. There is a world of difference between your gun and a plain jane 686. Maybe BA has a regular 686n on their rental board.

This is kinda like the 500 vs 870 debate. There are many different Smiths out there to choose from, and only a few models of the GP100 to look at. Gotsta shoot boff of dem to decide fo yoself.

I will bring the 686 Pro. Someone has to have a GP100 for comparison.

I do, and it's available for sale or trade. It's posted here. I am selling it because on lunker's advice I bought a old S&W!

I like the GP100, built like a tank, but don't need 2 revolvers.