s8n

Magpul PRS stock

No, it's not. All you do is call unwanted attention to the issue. It's like PK90 said - If you have to ask, don't buy one.

Aside from the fact that the AWB laws make no sense, the problem, specifically, with the stock issue is that there is no definition of what a "collapsible or telescoping" stock is. I agree wholeheartedly with those on here that use the buffer tube as a "yardstick", but, again, there is no basis in law. While the PRS stock does not telescope in the truest sense of the word, it could be construed to be collapsible - albeit only an inch, but collapsible nonetheless. Yes it is ridiculous, but that is the state in which we live. Personally, I'd be pretty comfortable with the PRS stock because I think it is easily defensible, but again, that is that pesky logic talking again. Just stop calling anyone but your personal attorney. You call the local or state police, or the AG's office and you're liable to get 3 or 4 different answers to the same question and all of them are worth what you paid for them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I meant ask everyone here. I'd never voluntarily call the authorities (for any reason, really), but especially to let them know what I was putting on my gun. I'd prefer they didn't even know I had a gun.

I was originally just poking around looking for anything about the PRS without really being concerned about its potential legality until I found this thread. Since I joined up a couple days before my search for info on the PRS, I figured I might as well ask because I hadn't considered it an issue until I read the first question in the thread.

Thanks for all of the responses, though.

I'll pick one up, but after further (not much) inspection, I doesn't look very compatible with the Magpul ASAP. I just installed the ASAP and I like it, so I suppose I'll have to look for another stock, ha... oh...

I rifle that would use an ASAP is kind of a different role than a rifle that would use a PRS....

Perhaps, but in New Jersey, a fixed stock is a fixed stock. Why suffer with one you don't like as much?

And both rifles in question are still ARs.

I meant ask everyone here. I'd never voluntarily call the authorities (for any reason, really), but especially to let them know what I was putting on my gun. I'd prefer they didn't even know I had a gun.

I was originally just poking around looking for anything about the PRS without really being concerned about its potential legality until I found this thread. Since I joined up a couple days before my search for info on the PRS, I figured I might as well ask because I hadn't considered it an issue until I read the first question in the thread.

Thanks for all of the responses, though.

I'll pick one up, but after further (not much) inspection, I doesn't look very compatible with the Magpul ASAP. I just installed the ASAP and I like it, so I suppose I'll have to look for another stock, ha... oh...

Great choice! I just put an ASAP on my new AR build. I'm using it with a pinned MOE stock to the length that I like. Both components work well together. Look into the MOE, its way less expensive and designed for a light carbine/middy, as opposed to a PRS which goes for the battlerifle/designated marksman role, IMO of course. Just be sure to have it shipped to someone who does not own an AR, and do the pinning process there before taking possession of it or home near your AR parts. So silly I know, but its the right way to do it... :icon_rolleyes:

Iron, not tracking your response to my post. ASAP's are for single and 2 point slings. Not really what I would run on a precision rifle setup (one I would have a PRS on). I usually run a TIS quick cuff sling for that application. As Dan noted and I alluded to, they are different rifles for different roles.

Shane, I know what you're saying about the PRS and a single-point sling set up and I totally agree. I was trying to find a good non-collapsing stock, though, and I was somewhat willing to mismatch my rifle/stock setup. I hadn't considered any alternatives until... the MOE.

Dan, good call on the MOE. It's cheap enough so that I won't cry when it gets pinned.

I thought about pinning my CTR, but I really just couldn't bring myself to do it. The PRS seemed like a good (albeit expensive and slightly mismatched) alternative. I'm not sure why I passed over the MOE.

Great choice! I just put an ASAP on my new AR build. I'm using it with a pinned MOE stock to the length that I like. Both components work well together. Look into the MOE, its way less expensive and designed for a light carbine/middy, as opposed to a PRS which goes for the battlerifle/designated marksman role, IMO of course. Just be sure to have it shipped to someone who does not own an AR, and do the pinning process there before taking possession of it or home near your AR parts. So silly I know, but its the right way to do it... :icon_rolleyes:

Nice! What kind of sling are you using? I picked up the Magpul MS2. It's my first single-point sling. I love the concept.

As for a "light carbine"... mine weighs a ton (for an AR). I have the Ruger SR 556 and from what everyone tells me, it's heavy, though I can't say I can really tell. My only experience with a rifle is the SA M1a Socom II. Compared to my M1a, the Ruger isn't heavy.

I have wrestled with my MS2 and in the end I dont think I really like it that much :( Part of that is the horkin fiber chunk size of the one hook/clip and the stupid small clip point on both my scars which means I can only run in single point mode which Im not really a fan of. There is a new sling player in town. I think its called the Husky. Im going to give it a try with HK style hooks.

I have wrestled with my MS2 and in the end I dont think I really like it that much :( Part of that is the horkin fiber chunk size of the one hook/clip and the stupid small clip point on both my scars which means I can only run in single point mode which Im not really a fan of. There is a new sling player in town. I think its called the Husky. Im going to give it a try with HK style hooks.

This it? http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/11/29/huskey-amentum-slider-sling/

Seems like a pretty good sling. I might pick it up to compare the two. I haven't had any problems with my MS2, but then again, I've only had it for two days.

The Magpul RSA came in the mail first, and when I saw it, I thought it seemed unnecessarily large. Then the sling came and I saw why the RSA was so big. Giant hook/clip.

Nice! What kind of sling are you using? I picked up the Magpul MS2. It's my first single-point sling. I love the concept.

As for a "light carbine"... mine weighs a ton (for an AR). I have the Ruger SR 556 and from what everyone tells me, it's heavy, though I can't say I can really tell. My only experience with a rifle is the SA M1a Socom II. Compared to my M1a, the Ruger isn't heavy.

I just ordered a Wilderness single point sling along with the optional HK hook to use with the ASAP.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=151&pg=1

Cheap enough, and you can get a rail adapter later on if you want to make it a 2 point sling from my understanding. I'll write what I think about it here once I get it from the bringer of toys (aka UPS).

The PRS seemed like a good (albeit expensive and slightly mismatched) alternative. I'm not sure why I passed over the MOE.

let me be the first to tell you.. it is not.. the PRS is a stock system for a specific type of shooting.. could you put a PRS on a 14in SBR entry gun.. sure.. but it would make no sense since it is cumbersome and awkward... it is right at home on a long range shooter.. but would be very out of place on a "run and gun" type gun IMO..