fliks

Lou's Gun Shop in Raritan

This is the place where I bought my first gun, the PX4 Storm 9mm. I looked around at different places and this one was definitely the most convenient for me and they gave me a good deal on the gun. Another forum member just bought the same gun there and haggled it down a bit more, but I still feel I got a good deal. Chris, the guy who is usually there, is very knowledgeable about firearms and applicable NJ laws. He's especially into ARs, so if you want to look into that, it's a good place to look. They have a surprisingly good selection, considering the place is half of a two-family home, with the first floor converted into a gun shop. They have lots of sporting shotguns if you're into that and some old military collectibles also. All around, a great experience.

Lou's Gun Shop

91 West Somerset Street,

Raritan, NJ 08869.

Phone : (908) 725-5251,

Fax : (908) 725-5232.

I bought my PX4 Storm from them as well.... and beat up Chris on the price a bit :)

Definitely a good guy to buy from. And yes, they do have the $60 FFL fees now too.

I took a look at their inventory while waiting on the NICS check - they have a lot of collectable guns. I even saw an old slab-sided AR15 with the triangle "vietnam" handguard. It was sexy.

I checked out this shop last Friday and seems to be a pretty cool place. I was chatting with Mike and Chris about the Beretta's, and both seem to be really cool guys and very knowledgeable in the products they carry. What I liked was that these guys take the time to talk to you, unlike some other shops that are not as friendly. Mike mentioned that he used to work for Beretta, so he knows their products really well. If you didn't know the place was a gun shop, you would drive right past and think it was house. Not a huge selection of pistols, but whatever they do carry seems to be good quality stuff (Beretta, Sig, etc). I definitely recommend checking out this shop for anyone looking for a firearm.

I can agree with everything NJdiver previously stated.

I have never been there before either and went last week. First of all, I was like "a gun shop in Raritan, what!?"

All I have to say is Mike and Chris were, without a doubt, the two nicest gun shop employees I have ever had an experience with. We all know that feeling of walking into a gun store and just wanting to check out a couple things and talk about guns when most of the time the employees are not talkative, rude, and have that "I am better than you" ego-trip. This is NOTHING like that. We quickly introduced ourselves and started talking...talked more..and ended up talking the whole 45mins I was there.

These guys are down to earth and are there to answer questions and talk about guns [and women]. I definitely plan on giving them any of my future business.

I have purchased my 92FS from Chris and Mike, i named the price and Mike gave it to me on that. They have a good selection i had problems with my Beretta Mags i called Mike he asked me to come down and he replaced it for me in no time, without any paperwork or anything.

Good shop and good collection.

I recommend them to all my friends.

This really is a great shop! I went in there with my brother, who is new to firearms, to take a look at the berettas (92fs & px4) and they treated him with respect and took the time to explain *everything*. He wasn't intimidated at all!

Prices, while a bit on the high side, are no where near the highway robbery that goes on the next town over @ Efingers. Like others mentioned too, you can work with Mike and Chris to get yourself a pretty good deal in the end.

I'll recommend this shop to anyone!

Good to Know... Thanks folks, I will be planning to drop by sometime this month since I am on a waiting period (30day purchase).

How do you think the overall costs would run between buying from Lou's with sales tax and all versus Cabela's with the shipping and transfer fees?

Well the cost for any fees, taxes and price of the item on the local side against the cost of product and shipping fee. Rule of thumb when comparing items - No Tax and free shipping is always a no brainer to buy when the cost is at level at the local side. If Tax OR shipping is added then it narrows down how fast you need the item.

Basically, Take s step back and let the Dopamine subside... (WooooooSSsssAaaaaaa)...... to determine if you want to spend the extra cost.

Good Afternoon,

I consider Lou's my go to Shop. Mike and Chris are extremely knowledgeable, personal, and helpful. Both guys are more than willing to show you any gun in the store. If you have something you need special ordered they can get it quick.

Lou's prices are fair and certainly negotiable. One thing for sure if there is an issue with a firearm purchased at Lou's these guys get it fixed. What I really like is the atmosphere its a good place to shoot the sh*t about guns.

Transfers are $60.00.

Ammo always available.

BOSCOB

A friend of mine bought his S&W Model 29 there. He paid a bit too much, because he hadn't done his homework and didn't haggle the price. But, that's his fault, not theirs.

I thought it was a very nice shop, the one time that I visited (it's a little far to be convenient for me). As a milsurp collector, I was both impressed by his offerings (an Arisaka paratropper model, for example) and a little put off by his prices. The condition of the milsurps didn't seem to justify the prices he was asking, especially on the Mosin-Nagants and Chinese SKS's.

As an 03FFL, I can buy from distributors, so I don't really shop retail for milsurps anyway. (And, yes, I have the guns coming from out of state transferred through a NJ 01FFL.) So, his pricing isn't really a concern for me; I was just a little surprised that his prices were so high relative to the condition of the guns.

However, Lou's pricing certainly wasn't any worse than the disreputable thieves at SARCO (can you tell I've had a bad experience - or two - at SARCO?). And, at least I didn't get the feeling that the salesmen were lying to me or trying to misrepresent their products. They just had slightly high prices.

All in all, based on my limited experience, I'd recommend Lou's. They seem like straight-shooters and honest brokers. And, they have a really good selection of shooting supplies, including one-piece cleaning rods, which can be kind of hard to find elsewhere.

Nice shop, nice people. Thumbs up!

I heard they tried to buy Ray's, but their offer was turned down as not high enough, and then the car dealer next door got it for about the same amount. The dealer didn't do anything with the property anyway!

I think the dealer now uses Ray's as an overflow parking lot for their cars :/

A friend of mine bought his S&W Model 29 there. He paid a bit too much, because he hadn't done his homework and didn't haggle the price. But, that's his fault, not theirs.

I thought it was a very nice shop, the one time that I visited (it's a little far to be convenient for me). As a milsurp collector, I was both impressed by his offerings (an Arisaka paratropper model, for example) and a little put off by his prices. The condition of the milsurps didn't seem to justify the prices he was asking, especially on the Mosin-Nagants and Chinese SKS's.

As an 03FFL, I can buy from distributors, so I don't really shop retail for milsurps anyway. (And, yes, I have the guns coming from out of state transferred through a NJ 01FFL.) So, his pricing isn't really a concern for me; I was just a little surprised that his prices were so high relative to the condition of the guns.

However, Lou's pricing certainly wasn't any worse than the disreputable thieves at SARCO (can you tell I've had a bad experience - or two - at SARCO?). And, at least I didn't get the feeling that the salesmen were lying to me or trying to misrepresent their products. They just had slightly high prices.

All in all, based on my limited experience, I'd recommend Lou's. They seem like straight-shooters and honest brokers. And, they have a really good selection of shooting supplies, including one-piece cleaning rods, which can be kind of hard to find elsewhere.

Nice shop, nice people. Thumbs up!

Nice to see a fellow FFL Type 03. :)

I know it's an old thread, but I use Lou's constantly and felt like posting in the thread.

Just for an update, Still the same owner. Mike is no longer there due to health issues, Chris is now the full timer, along with Marshall.

Both extremely informed about what they sell. They now also carry most ammuniton, which while Mike was there they weren't exactly big on. Pistol selection has grown signifigantly over the past year as well as they now carry more AR's and more accessories. Optics, Lasers, AR parts and accessories etc.

Who know's, maybe they'll become a vendor here as well... :keeporder:

Sorry to hear about Mike, he sold me my CX4 storm. Guy cracked me up, absolutely no filter on what came out of his mouth...

Yea your not lying about that haha.. he was definitely good for telling it like it is..

+1 on Lou's Gun shop. Got my AR from Chris and I continue to go back every now and then to pick up misc items and sometimes ammo. Guys are very friendly and knowledgeable and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is buying a gun for the first time. They have a lot of patience and will explain anything you need to know. Chris went as far as showing me how to field strip my AR15 when I picked it up.

+1 on Lou's Gun shop. Got my AR from Chris and I continue to go back every now and then to pick up misc items and sometimes ammo. Guys are very friendly and knowledgeable and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is buying a gun for the first time. They have a lot of patience and will explain anything you need to know. Chris went as far as showing me how to field strip my AR15 when I picked it up.

Yeah I think he field strips everything first. Did it with my beretta too.

How is the ammo pricing?