Scrap

Mossberg 590 or Benelli Supernova?

Not to get into a circular discussion on the (dis)advantages of one safety over another (yet again), but for me, the safety on an HD only shotgun is completely irrelevant. My gun is kept hidden but within easy reach, tube loaded, chamber empty, and safety off. Pick it up, rack and go.

Welp, I am very well schooled with rifles that have some sort of solid buttstock and the close combat "butt strike." I am not a pistol grip, collapsible stock, pinned skeleton stock kind of guy. I fully expect the training to kick in if a person gets a hand on the barrel somehow. Butt strike with the safety off is not what I'd like to do.

You aren't really even supposed to look at your sights when shooting clays... you are supposed to watch the birdy and develop a feel/skill for leading by just sighting down the barrel. This is completely different than other forms of shooting that typically say you watch the front sight.

I'd love to get the opportunity to shoot at LVS with a 590A1 w/ ghost rings. We can talk about it all day, but until its compared side by side its just theory. I've held both shotguns but its completely different shooting a moving target with one. Does the 590A1 have a choke-able barrel?

I have the super nova tactical 18" with pistol grip and ghost ring sights and really enjoy playing around with it. I picked mine up barely used at a substantial discount but thats probably the only way i would have purchased one for the occasional use it gets. It will chamber 3 1/2" shells which are absolutely unreal to shoot as you need to brace yourself and make sure both your hands are holding on tight! The sights are really nice for precision shooting. I recently shot some slugs at 100 yards against a 10" square with a good hit ratio. I've handled (not never owned) a 500 and the quality of the benelli is definitely above it but both are very utilitarian machines that will do the same job. The premium you pay for the Benelli is for more modernized clean-sheet engineering and styling. The ergos are very good and the safety is at your fingertip just forward of the trigger making the swipe down from a rest to engaging the trigger a fluid movement. One downside is that benelli replacement barrels are stupid expensive if you want to swap to a longer hunting or clays barrel. The receiver is made of a combination of plastic and metal but does not look or feel cheap and is not considered structurally inferior because its not solid steel. The receiver has a metal internal structure with a plastic overmold for a weather resistant exterior. Unless there is a clear cut issue with the materials, i think those arguments are silly in a world where plastic is so prevalent in firearms.

To answer your question.

Neither, an 870 is all you'll ever need. Hands down.

How's that Lil' Scrappy!

So not only are you such an ignorant person that insists on the whole Lil Scrappy thing after I personally asked you to cut that out, you are not intelligent enough to use basic reading comprehension? An 870 was not one of the choices of this exercise... Please re-read the question and , actually, no need to provide another answer, you've already failed.

Please refrain from replying to anything I say and I will ignore your stuff, and we can peacefully coexist

Whatever dude. Wasn't an issue when you were trying to sell me your junk.

And yeah, I'd still recommend an 870!

870 for the win!!!!

You aren't really even supposed to look at your sights when shooting clays... you are supposed to watch the birdy and develop a feel/skill for leading by just sighting down the barrel. This is completely different than other forms of shooting that typically say you watch the front sight.

I'd love to get the opportunity to shoot at LVS with a 590A1 w/ ghost rings. We can talk about it all day, but until its compared side by side its just theory. I've held both shotguns but its completely different shooting a moving target with one. Does the 590A1 have a choke-able barrel?

JD,

I have a 590A1 with the Ghost Ring Sights. Haven't tried it for Skeet/trap yet, but you are more than welcome to try it. Maybe next time at Dix.

One thing I have found recently is that although the Mossberg 500 is the one used by the military, you would at least have to change the safety to an aluminum switch for it to be "Mil-spec." It comes with a plastic safety switch.

Also, you can buy after market safety switches intended for use with a pistol grip, but I really think that if a pistol grip is what you want you need the 870' style safety.

I believe the military uses the 590A1 which has metal safety and trigger parts already.

One thing I have found recently is that although the Mossberg 500 is the one used by the military, you would at least have to change the safety to an aluminum switch for it to be "Mil-spec." It comes with a plastic safety switch.

Also, you can buy after market safety switches intended for use with a pistol grip, but I really think that if a pistol grip is what you want you need the 870' style safety.

I believe the military uses the 590A1 which has metal safety and trigger parts already.

Yes, after looking through it a bit more I believe what you say is correct. However you couldn't find the answer on the Mossberg website. As far as they like to tell it, it is the 500

I've owned a Mossberg 500 and currently own a 590.

The reasons I prefer the mossberg line is:

Quick to field strip and clean, can eject the shells without having to rack it, the safety location (and yes, i have a stock adapter for the M4 stock and grip), Better aftermarket, Can affix a bayonet, Adding ghost ring sights or scope rings can be done without modification, and is the better bang for the buck IMHO.

I havent handled the benelli (and since the 870 wasn't asked for, I wont go into detail about it... :deadhorse: