Ray Ray

6.8 SPC or 7.62x39mm?

I've been wanting a rifle in these two calibers and was thinking of these.

http://ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

and

http://ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

I'm going to Cabela's next Tuesday and I hope they don't have either, cause then I'll be in trouble!

I think the 6.8 will stay around but for ammo costs and availability I'd get the 7.62x39 between the two. Not starting a caliber war but my Mini 14 is a 223. I don't think the 7.62x39 or 6.8 is a magic round compared to the 223/5.56 which has worked for me for over 40 years.

You can buy 1000 rounds of non-corrosive 7.63x39 for $200. 6.8 ammo is several times that cost. There is also a kerfuffle about which version of 6.8SPC. There are two slightly different chamberings for it, and I don't think either is really compatible with the other.

I would go with 7.62x39 in a landslide. Also, there are a ton of cool milsurp rifles chambered in it, AKs, SKS', etc.

If you get the Mini-30, take a look at the HBAR accurizer. It supposedly does wonders for accuracy on these Mini-14 and Mini-30 rifles.

http://www.har-bar.com/

And 7.62x39 in any rifle is a ton more fun than any AR poodle shooter in 223.

Cabela's, please don't have one in stock! The misses would kill me.

Ray,

Start out with an SKS. It is the easiest to use and one of the most fun rifles ever invented. A nice one would set you back about $250. A, new unfired one $300. And it comes with an integrated folding bayonet, Mr Zombie Killer.

:)

And it can be turned into a "Tacticool" rifle easily and cheaply.

I always wanted one of those Ruger's. It's a shame the Ruger XGI never got off the ground. I wanted one in .308 or .243 when

they were first advertised in the mid-80's but it failed to even get out of the gate.

7.62x39 is certainly cheaper, but most of the ammo is cheap. If you're plinking and taking target practice, that's okay.

There are some good premium loads out there for the 6.8SPC with decent bullets for varmints or larger game. Move up to

Boxer brass 7.62 that you can reload and the price is more than throwaway cases. Of course, you could always handload

either round to keep costs down.

Yeah, get an SKS. Just dont tacticool it out. Changing the configuration will require you to abide by 922® laws because it wont be c&r anymore, plus its stupid looking :roll: atlantic firearms has cheap yugos which are IMHO the best. Im at work so this is all I could find in regards to that law and how it applies to the SKSs http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 01574.html

AIM surplus has dirt cheap non corrosive 7.62x39 right now, I think 179 per K

Heres a good quote from that link:

According to this: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

replacing your stock with a non-folding stock would be okay.

No, it wouldn't. Read lower. The 59/66 falls under C&R regulations, which mean that ANY modification voids the C&R status. Since it is a non-sporting firearm due to the grenade launcher, night sights, and bayonet, the only thing that makes it legal with those items attaches is that C&R status. If you change a thing, you void that status, and you now have a firearm that is illegal because it is an imported non-sporting weapon. Then those three things need to go in order to make it "sporting."

What happens if I modify a C&R SKS Carbine?

It appears that just about any modification you can think of causes a C&R rifle to lose its C&R status: Replacing a wooden stock with a synthetic one, adding a muzzle break, removing the bayonet, etc.

Look at it this way: SKS Carbines would normally be prohibited from importation due to its

Yeah, get an SKS. Just dont tacticool it out. Changing the configuration will require you to abide by 922® laws because it wont be c&r anymore, plus its stupid looking :roll: atlantic firearms has cheap yugos which are IMHO the best. Im at work so this is all I could find in regards to that law and how it applies to the SKSs http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 01574.html

AIM surplus has dirt cheap non corrosive 7.62x39 right now, I think 179 per K

Heres a good quote from that link:

According to this: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

replacing your stock with a non-folding stock would be okay.

No, it wouldn't. Read lower. The 59/66 falls under C&R regulations, which mean that ANY modification voids the C&R status. Since it is a non-sporting firearm due to the grenade launcher, night sights, and bayonet, the only thing that makes it legal with those items attaches is that C&R status. If you change a thing, you void that status, and you now have a firearm that is illegal because it is an imported non-sporting weapon. Then those three things need to go in order to make it "sporting."

What happens if I modify a C&R SKS Carbine?

It appears that just about any modification you can think of causes a C&R rifle to lose its C&R status: Replacing a wooden stock with a synthetic one, adding a muzzle break, removing the bayonet, etc.

Look at it this way: SKS Carbines would normally be prohibited from importation due to its

AIM just got a batch of Romanian SKS's for around $300. They had some Albanians yesterday, but they sold out in about an hour. Don't know enough about the Romanian version to know how it compares to the other ones. One thing that always bugged me about the Yugo's was the non-chrome lined barrel. I know it's not that big a deal, but I everything else I own has a chrome lined barrel. I've personally been drawn to the Russian ones... or one of the Norinco paratroopers... they seem a little pricier tho.

Ray, Tony just got a Ruger Mini 14 in, But its 223. If it were between the ones you posted I would go with the 7.62 model. I have always loved the look of the Ruger Mini 14. I would love to add one to the stable some day.

SKS, no way. My dad has one it is j-u-n-k! Sometimes when you released the bolt, it would go off. No thanks on one of them.

Yeah, 7.62x39 for the win!

I'll save the 6.8 for a piston AR.

RayRay...

I wouldn't base your opinion of all SKS' on the crappy one your dad has. Maybe some time you'll get to shoot a nice one at the range and change your mind. The SKS was the AK, before the AK was invented. There is a reason all the Commie Bloc countries used it. Utterly reliable.

RayRay...

I wouldn't base your opinion of all SKS' on the crappy one your dad has. Maybe some time you'll get to shoot a nice one at the range and change your mind. The SKS was the AK, before the AK was invented. There is a reason all the Commie Bloc countries used it. Utterly reliable.

True, but I'd still rather snatch up a Ruger.

SKS, no way. My dad has one it is j-u-n-k! Sometimes when you released the bolt, it would go off. No thanks on one of them.

Clean the firing pin channel. His firing pin is stickin foward due to lack of cleaning or corrosion or whatever and slam firing. It is the same "junky" firing pin design that the AK, garand, and M14/M1A has :facepalm: Remove the bolt from the carrier and shake it front to back, it should rattle freely.

The SKS are EXTREMELY well built. My yugo is like a tank.

Clean the firing pin channel. His firing pin is stickin foward due to lack of cleaning or corrosion or whatever and slam firing. It is the same "junky" firing pin design that the AK, garand, and M14/M1A has :facepalm: Remove the bolt from the carrier and shake it front to back, it should rattle freely.

Yeah, that what's it called. Slam fire. Took it to a gunsmith and same thing. Sorry, it's junk. As a matter of fact, he had 2 (one Chinese and one Yugo?) and they both were junk.

RayRay...

chris, strike the last part....

All the Comm Bloc countries used it..... BECAUSE THEY HAD TO!

Central planning baby.

But I cant speak to the reliability of them. hehe. I have seen some very nice examples though.

Yeah, that what's it called. Slam fire. Took it to a gunsmith and same thing. Sorry, it's junk. As a matter of fact, he had 2 (one Chinese and one Yugo?) and they both were junk.

Ray, come shoot mine some time. You will love it. I've fired 4k rounds (maybe even 5k) and not had one hiccup. Its pretty accurate for what it is, too. Noticably more accurate than AKs because its tighter, heavier and milled, and uses a short stroke gas system

I have nothing good to say about SKS's, and I'll keep it at that. Not gonna change my mind on this one Glenn. Even though I came around on the Russian pistol and the 7.62x25. :dance:

I bought a SKS close to 17 years ago and it has never malfunctioned or had a FTF or FTE. A little too short for me, but fun as hell to shoot. (My 11 y/o sons loves to shoot it, but not as much as an AR.) I wrestle with changing the stock and adding a scope, etc., etc., and still haven't done a thing to it. All of my parts, having matching serial numbers and the wood is outstanding so I can't complain. YMMV.

I have been considering do a bigger bore AR upper in either 6.8 or x39. The 6.8 is just too $$$ even though the ballistics are better. But under 200 yards, the x39 is more then adequate. My only negative about the x39 is trying to find some 15 and 5 round magazines for it (hunting and culling zombies). There might be some out there now, but when I was looking I couldn't get any satisfaction.

I would love to build a nice hunting AR for white tails in x39 using Nosler 125g BT's. Plus the x39 punches thru windshields much better for those zombie cab drivers that defy neighbor check points. :dance:

500 rounds of 7.62x39 - $109.99 at Cope's

Can't even find any bulk 6.8 SPC, best I can find for 500 rounds would be 500 rounds for $510 at ATG

This is a no brainer. Mini-30. Though, Not sure why not just get an SKS at that point. I would rather have an SKS over a Mini 30 any day. SKS has a six-decade history, far more spare parts available, dead nuts communist reliable, and is half the price of the Ruger.

Oh, and not to mention, your money doesn't go to a company who sided with the Clinton Admin and said "no honest man needs a magazine over 10 rounds" Yeah sure now they make an AR and 17 round magazine pistols, now that it is easy and popular to do so. But when the chips were down, we saw their true colors.