flemingbone

Mini 14/Ranch rifle - Where to buy?

I have been eyeballing and just decided it is time to get myself a Ranch rifle in .223 (specifically, the newer 580 series - not the old pencil barrelled Mini 14).

Any suggestions on who might carry them at a decent price? Tanner's in Jamison PA (not far over the border) has a very nice used one at a good price, but it has a threaded barrel w/a flash hider. Unless I'm miscounting evil features, I think that is verbotten.

Jebus, you need to be HAL9000 to understand our friggin laws.

In any event, any suggestions? (besides "Buy an AR!" ;))

Verboten! Yes!

Try the gun show this weekend?

I am sure someone will chime in soon, but since the Mini-14 does not have a pistol grip, what would be the other "evil" feature to put it over the top? I guess I am thinking that perhaps it would be OK in Jersey. It is my understanding that flash hiders are not outlawed in and of themselves, but rather in conjunction with other features.

Of course the OP should wait to hear from someone with better knowledge of these laws than me.

From my (limited) experienece, the PA gun stores and ranges within ~20 miles of the New Jersistan border seem pretty knowledgeable about our laws (and stock accordingly). There's a great guy at Tanner's who is from my neck of PRNJ and at this point I think he knows more about the laws than my local shops do. Maybe you gain some clarity when comparing a free state to an oppressive one daily, I dunno.

Anyway thanks to the above poster about TJ's - will give them a holler.

Convenience prevailed, unit acquired. Sportsman's Rendezvous in Flemington. Retail price, but NIB. There's something to be said for 'never been handled.' Also came with Ruger scope rings (assuming that is SOP though).

Thanks all for suggestions & opinions. Now if only someone made a 15-rd mag for the bugger...

Thanks for the congrats. Took it to the range yesterday-- It is a f***** blast to shoot. I am so freaking happy with it.

Put about 150 rds through it, mostly 55gr American Eagle Tactical, but it also ate Russian Wolf ammo happily (don't want to make that a habit with the stories I hear about what the steel case does to the extractor, and problems from the polymer coating ).

With iron sights, pretty hasty adjustments, and my crappy eyesight, I was still getting 4" groups at 100yds. Last 5 rounds of the day were 3.5". Even when it got hot there was very little stringing (which is all I ever heard about Minis before). And I'm not exactly the world's greatest shot to begin with--one of the RSO's sat down and pulled off a 3" group in about 12 seconds. He called it Minute Of Racoon, and in the right hands I'd agree. Once it's broken in more and I can play with some heavier rounds, I think I'll be v. happy with the accuracy. Undecided about optics.

Haven't tried any yet, but I learned it will eat 5.56 all day. The manual says it's OK, but all the literature clearly says it's a .223 rifle. Lots of info online from guys who have been shooting 5.56 with no problems so I'll be looking for milsurp or other bulk choices soon (btw, target model is strictly .223)

Sportsman's Rendezvous has a few in stock. I think there were 2 or 3 Ranch synthetic, one Tactical (also synthetic. obviously), and a Walnut/Stainless that was marked down to $699. Mine came out of a fresh factory box, had never even been on the rack (no nacho grease or chocolatey fingerprints). My only concern of the day: they swore that it would only take .223. I knew going in it likes 5.56 too, but I guess I can't expect them to know every detail about every gun they sell, especially in a state that only allows shotgun, muzzleloaders, and bow for deer hunting.

The only bummer: came with a single 5rd mag. Factory mags are not that cheap ($25-35). Apparently everything else is crap, and should be avoided (any experience out there on this?).

Thanks fellers! Sorry for the long post, but you can tell I'm pretty excited. Glad somebody asked for more pics...these will remind me to keep it as new : )

PS: the muzzle flash can be seen from outer space. I learned that as long as it's pinned or welded, a flash hider is Jersey kosher on a Mini, so I would go that way if it was a choice.

Very Cool. I'm jealous.:) I would love a Mini 14. Just stinks that 15 round mags are hard to get. The new stock looks awesome.

I'm not sure a 15 round magazine actually exists for the Mini-14. You can buy the Ruger-made 10 round magazines at Sportsmen's Rendevous, but they aren't cheap (there or anywhere else).

Thanks for the compliments. Sadly, the Mini is in CT being looked at by Ruger. I found some fouling where the barrel meets the receiver -- on the outside of the barrel. Needless to say, Ruger was a little alarmed at this. I also had an unusual amount of feed failures (even with factory mags and quality ammo), and the action does not seem to be wearing in as well as it should. I will say this: their customer service so far has been excellent.

Accuracy actually got worse - went from about 3.5" at 100 yds with irons to about 4-5" with a Leopold Riflman. Not sure if that is related to the new stock (which is not bedded), or if the other issues are affecting precision/accuracy.

I hear tales of Ruger aggressively rehabbing guns sent it, I just hope they don't change too much...I think I got one of the really nice factory triggers.

Even with the issues...I MISS MY MINI!