intercooler

buying out of state tax questions

FFL fees at most places now are $60 + tax + NICS.

Find a different Shop. You are being taken with a pole up your butt.

Brick Armory, $35 transfers for forum members. + nics

TJ Sporting Arms $25 + nics

Pk90, Vinny are all in the same range.

As far as Tax.... YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DECLARE ANY UNTAXED OUT OF STATE PURCHASES ON YOUR NJ INCOME TAX!

Some shops will demand you pay the tax right there on the gun, however it is your right to pay for the tax at the end of the year on your income taxes. Not paying taxes on untaxed out of state purchases is ILLEGAL.

Most shops here will have you pay transfer fee, plus nics and tax on the transfer fee, not the price of the gun.

Having said that, you may save $10 by buying online, however by doing that you are not doing anything to help the local vendors and those that keep your right to gun ownership alive.

If something is a collectible, or tough to find, it is a different story, but try going local first.

but do a price request on the forum and see what the forum vendors can do

Definitely, and as Maks said you should try and support local dealers if possible. I was pleasantly surprised with what prices I received after submitting a price request... Give it a shot!

Also, if you are visiting a local gun store, and the tag is more expensive.... why not ask for a price match?

They will negotiate... if not, you didnt lose anything.

Btw, when you go buy a car... do you pay sticker price? Same thing for a Gun. Buying a gun is not buying a tv at Best Buy. You can negotiate...

Heck... I even knocked off $300 off of the tag on my Vepr at CABELAS!

Also, if you are visiting a local gun store, and the tag is more expensive.... why not ask for a price match?

Lose, not Loose ;)

Anyway, that's what I did @ Lou's Gun Shop for the PX4 Storm. TJ's and Vinny's were saying about $550-560 OTD. PX4Storm said he got it there for about $600 OTD but the gun shop guy said that probably wasn't right. Still, I beat him up on the price and got him down to $593 & change.

Lose, not Loose ;)

Anyway, that's what I did @ Lou's Gun Shop for the PX4 Storm. TJ's and Vinny's were saying about $550-560 OTD. PX4Storm said he got it there for about $600 OTD but the gun shop guy said that probably wasn't right. Still, I beat him up on the price and got him down to $593 & change.

So why didnt you buy it from Tony's or Vinny's? they support the forum. =)

+1 on supporting local shops.

I didn't know about the forum when I bought my gun and didn't know I could haggle (or didn't really want to, because I wanted to support the local store)

my second firearm I bought from a forum member. any future purchases will be either from forum members or local shops/shops that support the forum. In defense of Lou's (or Chris that works there) he didn't even know about the forum until I told him about it during a recent visit. That only speaks to our need to get the word out about the forum.

Find a different Shop. You are being taken with a pole up your butt.

Brick Armory, $35 transfers for forum members. + nics

TJ Sporting Arms $25 + nics

Pk90, Vinny are all in the same range.

As far as Tax.... YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DECLARE ANY UNTAXED OUT OF STATE PURCHASES ON YOUR NJ INCOME TAX!

Some shops will demand you pay the tax right there on the gun, however it is your right to pay for the tax at the end of the year on your income taxes. Not paying taxes on untaxed out of state purchases is ILLEGAL.

Most shops here will have you pay transfer fee, plus nics and tax on the transfer fee, not the price of the gun.

Having said that, you may save $10 by buying online, however by doing that you are not doing anything to help the local vendors and those that keep your right to gun ownership alive.

If something is a collectible, or tough to find, it is a different story, but try going local first.

Maksim is correct about the tax. However, technically, it's not an income tax but a "use tax." You're supposed to self-assess and report use tax on your annual NJ Gross Income Tax (income tax) return. Use tax is due on all purchases that would otherwise be subject to sales tax, but on which no sales tax was paid. This would include stuff you buy via the internet from Amazon, Cabela's, Midway, etc., and that big screen TV set you bought in Delaware. (Most people don't realize this.)

Note that most clothing purchases in NJ are not subject to sales tax, so no use tax would be due. Also of interest, gun safes ("firearm vaults") are not subject to sales or use tax in NJ.

What is the New Jersey sales tax rate?

The State of New Jersey’s sales and use tax rate is seven percent (7%). However, there are exceptions to this statewide rate. In Urban Enterprise Zones, UEZ-impacted business districts, and in Salem County, sales tax may be charged at 3.5% (50% of the regular rate) on certain items. In addition, local sales taxes are imposed on sales of certain items sold in Atlantic City and Cape May County.

ETA:

The Urban Enterprise Zone Program (UEZ) was enacted in 1983. It authorized the designation of ten zones by the New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone Authority: Camden, Newark, Bridgeton, Trenton, Plainfield, Elizabeth, Jersey City, Kearny, Orange and Millville/Vineland (joint zone).

In 1994 the legislation was amended and ten more zones were added to this successful economic development program. Of the ten new zones, six were predetermined: Paterson, Passaic, Perth Amboy, Phillipsburg, Lakewood, Asbury Park/Long Branch (joint zone). The four remaining zones were selected on a competitive basis. They are Carteret, Pleasantville, Union City and Mount Holly.

The legislation was amended in 1996 to include seven additional zones. They were all predetermined and include East Orange, Guttenberg, Hillside, Irvington, North Bergen, Pemberton and West New York. The legislation was amended again in 2002 to include 3 more zones. They include Bayonne City, Roselle Borough, and a joint zone consisting of North Wildwood City, Wildwood City, Wildwood Crest Borough, and West Wildwood Borough. Legislation was amended again in 2004 to include Gloucester City and New Brunswick, creating a total of 32 zones in 37 municipalities.