bbk

School me on AKs

Let's not turn this into a thread about legalities.

While I'm sure we all appreciate the info you've shared on the Saigas and AKs in general, some legal discussion may unfortunately be warranted.

There is quite a bit of uncertainty when it comes to AKs in NJ. For example, the FFL I use most often will not touch anything AK related. When I asked him why he said that the NJSP won't give him a letter saying they're legal, so he won't sell them. He'll sell you ARs all day long, but you mention an AK and he gets all huffy.

I've also been told by a forum member on here that he once called up a NJ FFL (not the guy I use) about a Saiga he had for sale on gunbroker. When the member told the FFL that he was in NJ, the FFL told him that if he had inquired about it while in his shop he would have had one of his employees keep him busy while he called the cops because "he should know better than to ask about that gun in NJ".

So, if the FFLs can't agree on whether or not AKs (and by AK I mean Saiga, WASR, PAP etc.) are good to go in NJ, it's not hard to understand why so many of these threads turn into "is it legal" threads.

I'm of the opinion that there are enough of them for sale in NJ by well respected FFLs and in the hands of NJ gun owners, that Saigas and the like are legal, which is why I own one. But I'll be the first to admit that I find the whole "type" wording to be very confusing.

I agree completely that it IS in fact necessary to discuss legality.. as that is a HUGE factor when it comes to purchase.. lol

as far as converting a Saiga.. if you are good with simple hand tools and even slightly mechanical you should be good to go.. as I have said time and time again I converted mine and it was one of the first firearms I ever personally owned..

But, I do have a question (not regarding legalities :)).

Do the SGM magazines for Saigas require bullet guides?

Surefire mags that are SAIGA SPECIFIC do NOT require a bullet guide.. they are modeled after the original Saiga magazines.. they are what I use on my weapon and have never had a feeding issue with them.. the early batches of them fell apart and were shitty.. but the newer ones are great.. zero malfunction..

installing a bullet guide on a Saiga while living in NJ is kind of useless.. if given the ability to accept larger than 15 round magazines I would go ahead and install one.. but as of now.. no point.. imo at least..

Surefire mags that are SAIGA SPECIFIC do NOT require a bullet guide.. they are modeled after the original Saiga magazines.. they are what I use on my weapon and have never had a feeding issue with them.. the early batches of them fell apart and were shitty.. but the newer ones are great.. zero malfunction..

installing a bullet guide on a Saiga while living in NJ is kind of useless.. if given the ability to accept larger than 15 round magazines I would go ahead and install one.. but as of now.. no point.. imo at least..

How about commonality of magazines with other non-Saiga AKs? I have a VEPR and bought two Saiga mags for it and am planning on filing them to work in the VEPR. If I ever do the Saiga mod, it would be nice to have mags that fit both guns.

How about commonality of magazines with other non-Saiga AKs? I have a VEPR and bought two Saiga mags for it and am planning on filing them to work in the VEPR. If I ever do the Saiga mod, it would be nice to have mags that fit both guns.

having the mags fit both guns IS a good point and something I had not considered.. I am very used to what I DO personally so the thought of moving magazines between AK pattern guns is not something I considered since I don't do it.. will what you stated work?

I've also been told by a forum member on here that he once called up a NJ FFL (not the guy I use) about a Saiga he had for sale on gunbroker. When the member told the FFL that he was in NJ, the FFL told him that if he had inquired about it while in his shop he would have had one of his employees keep him busy while he called the cops because "he should know better than to ask about that gun in NJ".

Can you post the name of said FFL? If what you said is true, this person ought to be boycotted. Any person who tries to make a criminal out of an honest citizen for simply asking a genuine question, is pure scum.

We need a pro-gun community in NJ willing to help each other with understanding the current laws, and working together to change them for the better. Not scumbags who will call the cops on someone who is doing absolutely nothing illegal at all (last I checked, it's not illegal to ask if something is illegal....) and potentially land them falsely arrested and harassed for absolutely no reason at all.

As far as bullet guide goes, it all depends on you. You'd be fine using Surefire 10/15s and factory Saiga 10's without a bullet guide.

I prefer metal magazines, so I installed a bullet guide and have about a dozen cut down 15 round metal magazines.

All depends what you'd rather do.

Can you post the name of said FFL? If what you said is true, this person ought to be boycotted. Any person who tries to make a criminal out of an honest citizen for simply asking a genuine question, is pure scum.

I agree - complete douchebag. I was told about this incident over a year ago, and I'm not 100% sure of the FFL. I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but would feel like an ass if I posted the wrong FFL.

I agree - complete douchebag. I was told about this incident over a year ago, and I'm not 100% sure of the FFL. I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but would feel like an a** if I posted the wrong FFL.

Yeah, I understand.

The Clayco is a preban arm make in the early 80's, the company would become Norinco. I bought it in 1989.

The inrange arms were built in the early 2k during the Federal AWB. This is them.

DSC_0181.jpg

no that's an AK! It looks nothing like a Saiga, it looks like an AK!

what ffl in nj would do a transfer on a sar? I was looking at one on GB and I think that this is relevant to this thread. In my research, the SAR looks to be the best version that is legally available to NJ residents.

so who has tranfered one ?

as far as I know paul at arms and ammo will transfer ANY legal firearms.. and is a good reputable guy..

My personal interpretation of the law is completely different and I will not debate it here. What I stated is fact as the law does not indicate manufacturer or model but only uses the word "type". Six simple words without any explanation. What you have done is read into those words and formed an opinion of what they mean. That's all well and good but it does not make it fact. Until the Attorney General elaborates on those six words giving a clear definition. I will not accept the thought that an rifle is illegal simply because it is stamped AK47. As the law does not state that..in plain black and white..

Let's take this one step further. Nowhere in any New jersey firearm law does it state that an arm stamped with AK47, AK74, AKM, AKS, etc is illegal. And to those that keep saying that it is....

PLEASE STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.

FFDP82, my old Clayco was stamped AKS and my Inrange arms are built on Global Trades receivers, both of which are stamped AK74.

you SAY that but you are merely interpreting the law as YOU read it, just as I am..

the law SPECIFICALLY says..

"Assault firearms" means:

1. The following firearms:

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

the law SPECIFICALLY name Avtomat Kalashnikov rifles as being a banned type of rifle.. so when i read that it says.. THIS type of rifle is an assault rifle.. and is therefore banned.. wasr.. saiga.. etc.. are called something entirely different.. making them not "Assault firearms" providing they are not substantially identical to an Avtomat Kalashnikov this is merely an interpretation of NJ's vague law... but it DOES name "AK" guns as being banned... in plain black and white..

is an AK 101 banned under NJ law?

I would think so the law names "Avtomat Kalashnikov" rifles as being banned... an "AK" is a "Avtomat Kalashnikov" where a Saiga is NOT.. a wasr is NOT...

Jack, wasnt there an issue with radiation to the eye on these??? :shock:

There was some talk a few years ago regarding an optic. I saw a photo of it but did not recognise it as military kit. I am by no means an expert on Soviet era NV. But I have been dealing with NSPU series optics for some time. This of course led me to various other combloc NV equipment. Over the years I've handled dozens of examples and spoken with many collectors, importers, soldiers, and shady characters. I've never before or since heard a word about radiation.