Sign in to follow this  
247Tactical

Gunsmithing schools or entry level jobs?

I have my bachelor's degree in Law & Justice. My dream job is law enforcement, but recently, I've been considering gunsmithing. Does anyone know where I can get started in this profession? The closest gunsmithing school I've been able to find is out in Pittsburgh, PA.

Gunsmithing school is a start. Then you would usually work for someone else to gain some experience. The fact is very few gunsmiths make really good money. You may have to move to another part of the country where guns are more prevalent therefore more business for a gunsmith. Do you want to be a general gunsmith or specialize in pistolsmithing, building rifles, etc?

My uncle is a gunsmith in TN as his primary profession. I know he makes custom rifles and such... seems to make a good living. I actually decided recently I'd like to go down and visit his shop to check it out, and catch a weekend at Bristol for some Nascar action. He has a gun range on his property as well ;)

Gunsmiths in NJ can charge a good amount of money since they are so rare. Especially if you have your FFL...

Hell, being a "custom" AR builder where you can make a rifle for someone (NJ legal) with everything they want could be valuable.

You also need to have a Federal Firearms License to be a gunsmith. Link

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

• Like 1