joejaxx

Government Drops Blessing on 850,000 Garands/Carbines

Title: Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America.

The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year. But it reversed course and banned the sale in March

I agree. I REALLY dont think many criminals are interested in using an M1 Carbine or Garand for an attack. Fucking ridiculous. These weapons are classics, and I would love to get my hands on some of them, but they want to "dispose" of them.

Funny, seems like gun control advocates are 180 degrees out of synch...unless you're afraid of thousands of people reaching the point of armed insurection with antiques.

Their better idea is to burn and melt them and give them money for nothing tangible at all...I feel so much better.

Anything over 1 round is considered to be high capicity to a liberal. I love how in most cases they use the term "semi-automatic" as if it were the same as

"automatic". They usually seem to leave the difference between the two out so as to decieve people who don't know any better that there is no difference. You think the average housewife is going to look up the difference between the two and decide for herself? No....they'll just use the two terms as if they were interchangeable and hope no one but the crazy right wingers who believe in the Constitution (those crazyyyy crazyyyy people) will know the difference. Automatic just SOUNDS scary and has the same effect that the image of an AK47 has on people. It just scares them for no reason other than the media tells them they should be scared of it.

I guarantee that 90% of the people who support gun restrictions don't actually know SHIT about firearms. They're just afraid of what they don't understand.

Is an M1 or a Garand (which would cost close to a thousand USD or more....) a logical choice for someone looking to commit a crime? No. They could "rent" a gat off the street for a couple hundred bucks, do their thing with it, and then return it to the same person they bought it from to dispose of it. Not to mention a heavy, full length rifle isnt the easiest to conceal or use correctly.

It just boggles my mind what some of these people are thinking....

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America

What irks me also is that those are American made M1's given to the south Koreans and they are trying to sell them back to us!? :roll:

This action by the administration to destroy (euphemism for, "dispose of") these antiques is pure lunacy!

On a related note, why are these rifles not C&R eligible and legal in NJ! :deadhorse:

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America

What irks me also is that those are American made M1's given to the south Koreans and they are trying to sell them back to us!? :roll:

This action by the administration to destroy (euphemism for, "dispose of") these antiques is pure lunacy!

On a related note, why are these rifles not C&R eligible and legal in NJ! :deadhorse:

According to the ATF Guidebook on Firearms Importation, it would normally be legal to import the M1s because they are more than 50 years old, meaning they qualify as "curios or relics." But because the guns were given to South Korea by the U.S. government, they fall under a special category that requires permission from the State Department before any sale.

Thats how the oldies were taught. I dont know what they teach now, but I keep my elbow tucked. Not only do I feel more comfortable with it that way, but it also makes a smaller target. Thats why I was so good at playing paintball, I knew how to make myself a small targer :mrgreen:

BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) and ARM (Advanced Rifle Marksmanship) wasn't really emphasized with the US Army until Vietnam War/post-Vietnam War. Plus the addition of body armor in the mentioned era changed the general basics that were taught. These days, it has to do with not silhouetting yourself (getting your chicken wing shot off), having a good squared up stance (to avoid damage to vitals), and good follow up shots. That's my guess at least.

WASHINGTON — U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) today led a bipartisan group of Senators including Senators Mike Enzi (R-WY), Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK), and others in sending a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, urging her to reverse the State Department’s reported decision to ban the sale of surplus antique rifles from South Korea to qualified buyers in the United States. The letter was also sent to Attorney General Eric Holder and Acting Director Kenneth Melson of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE).

October 6, 2010

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton

Secretary of State

U.S. Department of State

2201 C Street, Northwest

Washington, DC 20520

Dear Secretary Clinton:

We write today out of serious concern regarding recent reports indicating the State Department—in conjunction with the Department of Justice and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives—has arbitrarily chosen to ban the sale of surplus M1 Garand and M1 Carbine rifles from South Korea to qualified buyers in the United States. We strongly urge you to reverse this decision.

According to recent reports, although the Obama Administration had approved the sale of these vintage, American-made rifles last year, your Department chose to reverse the decision because the firearms “could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.” A spokesman for your Department went on to say, “We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms.” This decision amounts to no more than a backdoor gun ban that lacks any basis or justification under current Federal law and policy. This decision violates law-abiding citizens’ constitutional right, protected under the Second Amendment, to purchase these firearms for legitimate purposes such as target shooting, hunting, collecting, and self-protection.

As you may know, the M1 is the rifle that helped our American troops claim victory in World War II. In Korea and Vietnam, our troops went into battle armed with this rifle that in the words of General George S. Patton, “is the greatest battle implement ever devised.” Today, the M1 is lawfully used by American citizens for recreational activities and is also a highly collectible firearm for those interested in American history.

Furthermore, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Guidebook on Firearms Importation, it is legal to import M1s because they are more than 50 years old and therefore qualify as “curios or relics.” Moreover, any individual wishing to purchase one of these firearms would be subject to the National Instant Check System. Essentially, the sale of these historic rifles—each a piece of America’s proud history—pose no greater risk than the sale of any other firearm legally sold in the United States.

To this end, we request an explanation of your reasons for blocking the importation and sale of American-made rifles from South Korea, and we strongly urge you to reverse your decision in the interest of protecting Americans’ Second Amendment rights. Furthermore, we encourage you to consider utilizing the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) as a means for the sale of these rifles. Currently, the principal rifles sold today through the CMP—a federally chartered non-profit organization dedicated to training and educating U.S. citizens in the responsible use of firearms—are World War II-era M1 Garand rifles.

Thank you for your prompt consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

John Cornyn, United States Senator

Mike Enzi, United States Senator

Tom Coburn, United States Senator

Jon Tester, United States Senator

Richard Burr, United States Senator

James Inhofe, United States Senator

Judd Gregg, United States Senator

Mike Crapo, United States Senator

John Barrasso, United States Senator

John Thune, United States Senator

Roger Wicker, United States Senator

Bob Bennett, United States Senator

Lisa Murkowski, United States Senator

Mark Begich, United States Senator

Jeanne Shaheen, United States Senator

Chuck Grassley, United States Senator

cc: Eric Holder, Attorney General

Kenneth Melson, BATFE Acting Director

Source: http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=NewsReleases&ContentRecord_id=1a261ab9-9884-42e1-bb95-b2cfa31c078f&ContentType_id=b94acc28-404a-4fc6-b143-a9e15bf92da4&Group_id=24eb5606-e2db-4d7f-bf6c-efc5df80b676&MonthDisplay=10&YearDisplay=2010

Yeah my grandfather shoots chicken wing, and one handed with a pistol, starts his arm at a fortyfive above the target then pulls the trigger when the sights line up

Training has definitely changed.

Its complete bull that part of their reasoning for blocking the import is the increase in available m1 carbines and garands to the public and the subsequent "possible" decrease in price through a increase in supply to demand.