jgofnj

Mossberg JIC 500 Cruiser - Is it Legal in NJ?

I am a complete newbie when it comes to shotguns. Just starting to begin some research. Basically want one for Home Defense purposes only. Before I even begin any research, I was just wondering if this pump-action shotgun is legal in NJ. The barrel is 18.5 inches, but since it is a stock/pistol grip type, I wasn't sure if this was even legal in NJ. My guess is that it is not.

It`s legal. I went to Caso`s recently and they had it for 450$

http://www.casosguns.com/content/rifles_shotguns.asp

Got a mossberg 535 combo from Cabela`s instead but i ll get it anyway when i save up for it.

Cabela`s had it for 319$ as a special a few weeks ago.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to shotguns. Just starting to begin some research. Basically want one for Home Defense purposes only. Before I even begin any research, I was just wondering if this pump-action shotgun is legal in NJ. The barrel is 18.5 inches, but since it is a stock/pistol grip type, I wasn't sure if this was even legal in NJ. My guess is that it is not.

Yes, completely legal. Pistol grip allowed if it's a pump action. I believe it's not allowed if it's a semi-auto shotgun.

Yes, completely legal. Pistol grip allowed if it's a pump action. I believe it's not allowed if it's a semi-auto shotgun.

Its allowed either way because that is only 2 evil features I.E. it doesn't have a detachable magazine you can put a collapsible stock or a folding stock on it as well

Its allowed either way because that is only 2 evil features I.E. it doesn't have a detachable magazine you can put a collapsible stock or a folding stock on it as well

I think you're looking at section number 2 part iii. The convoluted laws states it in no. 3 of the banned "list". Which makes it very confusing...I would have flunked law school.

A semi-automatic shotgun with EITHER a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock, OR a pistol grip.

The use of either / or confused me.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/fi ... 13ch54.pdf

It`s legal. I went to Caso`s recently and they had it for 450$

http://www.casosguns.com/content/rifles_shotguns.asp

Got a mossberg 535 combo from Cabela`s instead but i ll get it anyway when i save up for it.

Cabela`s had it for 319$ as a special a few weeks ago.

I'm there alot, we've problably met and don't even know it!

Have you ever shot a shotgun before?

You said you're a newbie looking for a home defense gun. Pistol gripped pump actions are very awkward to deploy, aim very poorly, and are hard to stabilize, even more so if you're a newbie. It's not as easy as the action movies make it look. You're a lot better off with something like a basic Mossberg 500 with a full stock, and get yourself lots of practice shooting it well.

I agree and than you put a pistol grip on it if you would like, i shoot my shotgun a WHOLE LOT and when i took my other shotgun (a mossberg) and put a top folding stock on it and tried to shoot it with only the pistol grip it was a little tougher than it looked, you naturally hold the gun higher so you are shooting way high and it takes a little bit to get used to, but after a little practice its alot of fun. :mrgreen:

resizefold.jpg

resizedfull.jpg

you naturally hold the gun higher so you are shooting way high and it takes a little bit to get used to, but after a little practice its alot of fun.

Dave, does the forend pistol grip help? is that an ATI forend? how do you like it?

Thanks guys, the more I thought about it - I agree, a full stock shotgun would be better for my needs.

Whatever you decide to use for home defense is fine, as long as you practice with it. I jumped into the pistol grip shotgun as an HD gun without ever firing one. I bring it with me and fire it every now and then at BH just for practice. It's such a good feeling to see a big hole on the paper target with just one shot.

Thanks guys, the more I thought about it - I agree, a full stock shotgun would be better for my needs.

Whatever you decide to use for home defense is fine, as long as you practice with it. I jumped into the pistol grip shotgun as an HD gun without ever firing one. I bring it with me and fire it every now and then at BH just for practice. It's such a good feeling to see a big hole on the paper target with just one shot.

Tommy, if you buy a stock for your 500, you might like it. The pistol grip shotty is a great HD tool, just hard to master. I'll own one eventually.

Tommy, if you buy a stock for your 500, you might like it. The pistol grip shotty is a great HD tool, just hard to master. I'll own one eventually.

I love the thing, I just know to stay away from magnum shots. :lol:

I might consider getting a stock and a longer barrel for it if I ever decide to get a hunting license. ;)

I think a pistol grip shotgun is only good for blastin shot down a hallway or something. Any amount of accuracy goes out the window when you remove the buttstock. I gotta tell ya when the range master at bullethole told me no hip firing, and I was shooting 3" mag slugs... ehh... putting that thing in front of my face seemed a little reckless! :shock:

I think a pistol grip shotgun is only good for blastin shot down a hallway or something. Any amount of accuracy goes out the window when you remove the buttstock. I gotta tell ya when the range master at bullethole told me no hip firing, and I was shooting 3" mag slugs... ehh... putting that thing in front of my face seemed a little reckless! :shock:

He let us hip fire. I guess the older RO must've been busting your b@lls.

you naturally hold the gun higher so you are shooting way high and it takes a little bit to get used to, but after a little practice its alot of fun.

Dave, does the forend pistol grip help? is that an ATI forend? how do you like it?

Ya its the ati forend and stock and I love it

I have not shot a PGO shotgun, admittedly, but also have looked at the JIC as an extra shotgun ( Shotguns, like .22LR rifles, to me, you can NEVER have too many .. just so many styles to choose from, and they're like golf clubs, select the right one for the right mission etc :ugeek: )

But I was going to get the less expensive M4-style adjustable stock for the PGO persuader as well... and then I considered getting one of those two badass tacticool Mossbergs, the Rolling Thunder and or Road Blocker, and installing the stock... they get expensive though, at that point might as well get the 590(A1 or SPX even) that I would really want.

I have not shot a PGO shotgun, admittedly, but also have looked at the JIC as an extra shotgun ( Shotguns, like .22LR rifles, to me, you can NEVER have too many .. just so many styles to choose from, and they're like golf clubs, select the right one for the right mission etc :ugeek: )

But I was going to get the less expensive M4-style adjustable stock for the PGO persuader as well... and then I considered getting one of those two badass tacticool Mossbergs, the Rolling Thunder and or Road Blocker, and installing the stock... they get expensive though, at that point might as well get the 590(A1 or SPX even) that I would really want.

I have the M4 style adjustable stock on mine.... but it HURTS... straight plastic back into your shoulder... and that was with birdshot....

M500.jpg

shot skeet before I moved here with my Mossberg with a pistol grip (18 inch) and with my buddies with a pistol grip that was a 14 inch. We both did fine at it. I have to say it was exciting when the first round fired shattered the clay. We honestly thought it was going to be a lot harder. I got one right before it landed about 3 feet off the ground and about 75 meters away. Luckily every one was cheering to loud to see that I got kicked in the face on that one cause I pulled it in to tight to make the shot. No missing teeth, no blood, just a little bump.

shot skeet before I moved here with my Mossberg with a pistol grip (18 inch) and with my buddies with a pistol grip that was a 14 inch. We both did fine at it. I have to say it was exciting when the first round fired shattered the clay. We honestly thought it was going to be a lot harder. I got one right before it landed about 3 feet off the ground and about 75 meters away. Luckily every one was cheering to loud to see that I got kicked in the face on that one cause I pulled it in to tight to make the shot. No missing teeth, no blood, just a little bump.

Shotgun lesson learned #1

JonF and I were shooting slugs out of my Mossy 500 at Colliers Mills. I had thrown the pistol grip on it to test out. Needless to say I was missing everything I aimed at at 20 yards shooting from the hip. I lined it up with my face and whammo. Fat, bloody lip. At least I kept all my teeth. :oops:

While on the subject of recoil, I have to mention the Knoxx Specops stock. I have the pistol grip version with M4 type adjustable stock, and it's fantastic. Totally worth the cost of the stock, and it makes 00 buckshot feel like bird shot. My wife can shoot the 12 gauge no problem. I know there is a thread about it already, but that one got sidetracked in a hurry.

Shotgun lesson learned #1

JonF and I were shooting slugs out of my Mossy 500 at Colliers Mills. I had thrown the pistol grip on it to test out. Needless to say I was missing everything I aimed at at 20 yards shooting from the hip. I lined it up with my face and whammo. Fat, bloody lip. At least I kept all my teeth. :oops:

I can't understand why you would do that? Just do a youtube search on "shotgun to the face" and that'll let you know not to do that.