Teufelhunden

30 gang bangers outside your home? Defend yourself = arrest

I grew up near Uniondale it was always a very very tough town mostly African American. In the eighties I used to ride my bike though there to go to work unloading trucks for UPS at night. I was told in no uncertain terms to stick to the main roads as if I took a shortcut side street I will be mugged !!! In the late eighties and early nineties it was transformed into Latin American country almost overnight !!

MS13 runs the streets and drugs and prostitution are a 24hr street buisness.

That town and North Amityville are a no mans land on LI.

The kid made the right move of being judged by 12 rather then carried by six.

But it ain't over !!

i dont know what to say except he was more sparing than i would have been, 20 GANG members saying IM GOING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY puts my life and my family's life at risk and this thus i would have responded with deadly force

I am disgusted by him being arrested, but I am also disappointed in his actions. Pulling out a gun to threaten a crowd of people? Pull it out when you need to shoot someone. i do not agree with pulling out guns as deterrents. I feel we should pull them out and use them. Had that been me there would be at least one dead gang banger. I sa only one cause I assume the rest of the cowards would have ran after the 1st one got shot, any more that would have advanced on me would also get a bullet along with any that reached for their own weapon. I could only dream that all 25 of them decide to keep facing me to receive their hot lead injection. I hate criminal scum in case you didn't notice.

SpecialK,

Come on now give the brother some credit. He owned the gun legally and had no criminal record. I am not sure if you have ever been confronted by more than one or two people but it gets intimidating pretty quick...add to that they are now gang member and their buddies are coming towards you. If there were 5 guys there originally...that is 10 hands he has to watch. He was protecting his family and doing the right thing. Problem is now he and his family are a real target but staying in the house.

SpecialK,

Come on now give the brother some credit. He owned the gun legally and had no criminal record. I am not sure if you have ever been confronted by more than one or two people but it gets intimidating pretty quick...add to that they are now gang member and their buddies are coming towards you. If there were 5 guys there originally...that is 10 hands he has to watch. He was protecting his family and doing the right thing. Problem is now he and his family are a real target but staying in the house.

They may as well just pack the car with whatever will fit and leave the island. You can bet they are a target now, and I am sure the police confiscated whatever firearms were in the house. Sad story.

Jeez, it really is a shame that the law abiding citizen will get the harshest of the punishment (well, probably be the only one punished while the low life's continue their ways). I do agree with SpecialK that brandishing was probably not the smartest idea, and could have easily escalated the situation in different ways. Not to mention, his house is now targeted because he retaliated, and the gang bangers KNOW the household most likely has guns (if the guy even gets to keep what he has after the law is done with him).

I had a situation a few months ago where I felt like my house (or my neighbors) might be targeted (I posted about it actually, where there were shady people "selling" stuff door to door at 8-9PMish). The next day, I called my buddy up, and asked if he would stay over and keep watch with me just in case. Fortunately there were no incidents of any kind, but I was pretty on edge (talk about flashing to the past, doing static guard :? ). My point being, even though I took preparations to possibly respond to a dire situation, I have no clue how I would react with multiple (let alone 30) hostiles.

SpecialK,

They may as well just pack the car with whatever will fit and leave the island. You can bet they are a target now, and I am sure the police confiscated whatever firearms were in the house. Sad story.

+1 on that. MS-13 is bad news and they arn't done with this guy.

Reckless endangerment was defined as "requiring a depraved indifference to human life". So to them, responding to 25 gang members who are threatening his family is a "depraved indifference to human life". To me, and obviously to him, letting 25 gang members threaten my family and babies going unnoticed would be an "indifference" towards MY FAMILIES life. I would have responded that way if it were 5 gang members.

The guy was stupid for coming outside with an AK and firing shots into the grass.

Better thing for him to do would be to get to a safe area, call the cops and wait, and keep the AK to a choke point in case anyone ones in. moment he sees a gun, start firing.

Granted none of us were there, nor do we know the full story of how he was involved or if he was truly an innocent random person.

Does it suck that he got charged? Sure. Did he act the best way? not at all. He probably pissed off the gang even more by firing at them.

I see what you mean. But the ONLY problem I see is that HOW can he find a safe spot?? Each room in my house has AT LEAST two windows, if not more....except the bathroom. The problem with my bathroom is that there is not enough room to store (putting myself in his shoes) my wife and kids, AND have enough room to comfortably be a safe distance from the door. Defending your family from 25 gang members after they have already entered your house is just not a plausible, or safe, situation to put your family in, EVEN IF none of the gang members had guns.

The guy was stupid for coming outside with an AK and firing shots into the grass.

Better thing for him to do would be to get to a safe area, call the cops and wait, and keep the AK to a choke point in case anyone ones in. moment he sees a gun, start firing.

Granted none of us were there, nor do we know the full story of how he was involved or if he was truly an innocent random person.

Does it suck that he got charged? Sure. Did he act the best way? not at all. He probably pissed off the gang even more by firing at them.

I completely agree Maks, although I wish we had a clearer directive regarding situations like this here in New Jersey. A castle doctrine would be nice, and would clear up a lot of ambiguity regarding what one can and cannot do in a self-defense situation in their home or on their property.

I completely agree Maks, although I wish we had a clearer directive regarding situations like this here in New Jersey. A castle doctrine would be nice, and would clear up a lot of ambiguity regarding what one can and cannot do in a self-defense situation in their home or on their property.

I'm right with you on this one. If there were a clear set of rules for this guy to follow, it seems like this guy would have followed them. I'd like a clear set of rules that I can follow that still provides my family and myself security on our own property. This guy should really get a fine for fireing a weapon in a neighborhood, and that's it. He clearly wasn't interested in killing anyone or there would have been dead bad guys in his driveway. Trespassers clearly wanting to cause him and his family harm. In any event, he's now going to need a moving truck.

Jeez, it really is a shame that the law abiding citizen will get the harshest of the punishment (well, probably be the only one punished while the low life's continue their ways). I do agree with SpecialK that brandishing was probably not the smartest idea, and could have easily escalated the situation in different ways. Not to mention, his house is now targeted because he retaliated, and the gang bangers KNOW the household most likely has guns (if the guy even gets to keep what he has after the law is done with him).

I had a situation a few months ago where I felt like my house (or my neighbors) might be targeted (I posted about it actually, where there were shady people "selling" stuff door to door at 8-9PMish). The next day, I called my buddy up, and asked if he would stay over and keep watch with me just in case. Fortunately there were no incidents of any kind, but I was pretty on edge (talk about flashing to the past, doing static guard :? ). My point being, even though I took preparations to possibly respond to a dire situation, I have no clue how I would react with multiple (let alone 30) hostiles.

In most states, a 30-round magazine would suffice...

First mistake was going outside to confront a gang. Second mistake is going outside with an AK47. Third mistake was shooting into the grass. The guy is lucky he's not dead. While I believe it SHOULD be legal, what he did is completely illegal. Until the law is changed we gotta play by their rules.

He should have went in the house, grabbed the gun, locked the doors, windows, close the curtains, went into the bedroom with the family, called the police, and hose down anybody that comes through the door.

Sucks but hes goin to prison.

I'll place a bet he aint going no where. Not even in NY. Again, taking the story at face value. WE as a shooting oriented group have our own views and training regarding warning shots. BUT all he has to say is I feared for my life but decided a warning shot before I took someones life seemed like a good idea to stop the approach of a gang with a violent history. My money says a jury would accept this. In THIS, let me say this again, THIS case, I can see potential value in the warning shot and I see value in standing your ground outside. At the point he was at he is targeted either way, it makes little difference. Hiding inside would likely have only emboldened the gang much like when a rabbit runs from a pack of dogs. That group only knows and respects direct action. Anything less marks you as prey.

not sure but i think this guy will be on fox news show that starts @ 11 am 2day

his story is on fox now.....his lawyer said his client was in his doorway when confronted by 18-20 members of ms13 and fired 4 shots into the ground to protect his wife a and baby ;he showed great restraint in doing so

and that he is a licsensed gun owner..they plan to fight this and hope a jury of his peers see it his way......