71ragtopgoat

Gun Dealer Gets Prison for Selling to Illegal Immigrant

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/09/te ... d-illegal/

Gun Dealer Gets Prison for Selling to Illegal Immigrant; Illegal 'Middle Man' Not Charged

By Diane Macedo

Published September 10, 2010 | FoxNews.com

advertisement

Gun rights advocates are up in arms that a Texas gun dealer was sentenced to six months in prison for selling a firearm to an illegal immigrant, but a "middle-man" who bought the gun for the immigrant -- and who was in the U.S. illegally himself, but had a valid driver's license -- was never arrested, charged or deported in the case.

Paul Copeland, 56, a Vietnam veteran, was sentenced to prison time and two years probation in federal court last week for selling a gun to an undocumented alien, Hipolito Aviles, at the Texas Gun Show in Austin in January.

But Aviles wasn't the man who handed Copeland the money for the gun. That man was Leonel Huerta Sr., who presented as identification the valid Texas driver's license he had obtained before his visa expired in 2007.

Copeland claimed he was presented with a valid driver's license and had no way of knowing that the man he was selling the gun to was an illegal immigrant, or that he intended to give the gun to another illegal immigrant.

Huerta, in a phone interview with Copeland's attorney that was included in court documents, said he showed Copeland his driver's license in order to purchase the gun, and it wasn't until he was leaving the building that he handed the gun to Aviles.

But agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives testified that Copeland should have known that Huerta was buying the gun for Aviles.

"Agents witnessed the Defendant (Copeland) negotiate a price for a handgun with Hipolito Aviles, who then handed cash to a second Hispanic male, who then handed Aviles' cash and his own identification to the defendant," the prosecution said in court documents.

"The Defendant in turn sold the firearm and handed it to the 'straw' purchaser, who then handed the firearm to Hipolito Aviles. The Defendant then instructed Mr. Aviles to hand the firearm back to the straw purchaser because he had 'bought' the firearm. Agents witnessed the straw purchaser hand the firearm back to Hipolito Aviles a short time later."

Aviles, the undocumented immigrant, was charged with possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, served a little over six months in prison and was deported on July 8, U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Daryl Fields said.

But Huerta, the "middle man" who bought the gun for Aviles and also was in the country illegally, suffered no legal consequences in the case. He is believed to still be living in the country illegally.

"Instead of busting the illegal alien for buying, they bust the citizen for selling," said Paul Velte, founder of Peaceable Texans for Firearms Rights, a gun-owners rights advocacy group from Austin.

Copeland, in an interview with FoxNews.com, said he and several other witnesses, including Aviles and Huerta's son, who was present during the gun purchase, testified that the men never exchanged money in front of him. He said that throughout the purchase, he either talked with Huerta, who he says "spoke perfect English," or to the group in general, but never to Aviles directly.

"I never conversed with Hipolito at all," Copeland said. "The gentleman claims that he doesn't speak any English."

But one thing all sides agreed on is that Huerta, using a valid Texas driver's license, knowingly bought a gun for someone who was ineligible to buy one himself -- all the while knowing that he, too, was in the country illegally.

"SA [special Agent] Jones interviewed Huerta, using an interpreter, and learned that he is also illegally in the United States and he showed SA Jones a work visa that expired in 2007," ATF wrote in its report of the incident. "SA Jones further interviewed Huerta and learned that he had just met Aviles for the first time at the gun show and he agreed to help Aviles purchase a gun because Aviles did not have proper identification."

But, unlike Aviles, Huerta was not arrested at the gun show that day. And though the report said he was "to be indicted," the ATF said he was never charged in the case.

"Apparently, Huerta was not charged because he was a witness," ATF spokeswoman Franceska Perot told FoxNews.com, adding that the bureau referred the case to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. ICE spokeswoman Gail Montenegro said there was no record of Huerta in ICE's system, indicating that there is no effort underway to deport him.

Perot said that, to her understanding, Huerta wasn't arrested at the gun show because agents there felt "he was just a go-between for Aviles." She said she couldn't say specifically why the decision was made not to prosecute him later, other than to say that situations like this happen all the time.

"It's a prosecutorial decision. They decide, are we going to get more time for this guy, for his part, or are we going to use him as a witness for someone else? So I guess that was their decision," she said.

Velte says that decision should "enrage all Americans."

"The illegal alien walks free, but the citizen gets convicted," he said. "The same government charged with controlling immigration is the one using illegal immigrants to attack its own citizens. Does this make any sense?"

When asked about Huerta, the U.S. Attorney's Office said, "we do not comment about our prosecutorial decision making process."

Attempts to contact Huerta were unsuccessful.

As for Copeland, Perot said he may not like the verdict in his case, but it was issued by a jury fair and square.

"He was found guilty by a jury, so if he feels like he was unfairly tried then there's an appeals process for that," she said.

Copeland says he intends to explore that process to the fullest.

"The appeal's being filed as we speak," he said.

I would guess that when he gets out he won't have a business either. If he followed the law I'm wondering how he could be convicted. If everyone agrees that the guy who bought the gun had the documents needed to buy a gun...well...should gun dealers follow the gun to the parking lot? Does he have the right to say what someone does with a gun after purchase? Something's screwy about this verdict, and I suspect a poor defense lawyer. The iceing on the **** cake is the middle man, who is the worst offender here, gets off scott free.

The dealer could have used better judgment not to sell to this middle man and avoided this situation. Didn't this look fishy to Copeland? Regardless, this is bad, that an illegal is going free and a citizen is in trouble.

First they should confiscate DL's from illegals, then immediately deport them. For crimes committed (such as these) they should serve time picking dried fruit in AZ! :lol: Unfortunately though, that's a fat chance from happening. We shouldn't have to pay for illegals in jail ... that costs us taxpayers.

So if a gun purchaser is somehow acting strangely, to the non-psychologist gun dealer, he should what....discriminate against someone? The ATF is basically saying that he should discriminate based on whatever the ATF decides should have been obvious to him. I'd say a lot of people may seem strange to one ATF agent or another, but then again, that's their job not the dealer's.

"Agents witnessed the Defendant (Copeland) negotiate a price for a handgun with Hipolito Aviles, who then handed cash to a second Hispanic male, who then handed Aviles' cash and his own identification to the defendant," the prosecution said in court documents.

I have no sympathy for the dealer. What occured in his presence is a "classic" example of a straw sale given in ATF literature that the dealer has received. With all the crap about guns being run from border states to Mexico going on now the dealer was stupid.

I do have a problem with the two illegals not being deported immediately. Send them to jail for two years each for the straw sale? That's going to cost us, the taxpayers, over $100,000 and give the two illegals an associate degree in crime. Being that immigration law calls for deportation of a legal permanent resident for violating any firearms law I can't see why a immigration judge would have a problem deporting them.

I do have a problem with the two illegals not being deported immediately. Send them to jail for two years each for the straw sale? That's going to cost us, the taxpayers, over $100,000 and give the two illegals an associate degree in crime. Being that immigration law calls for deportation of a legal permanent resident for violating any firearms law I can't see why a immigration judge would have a problem deporting them.

That's why we should follow the Russian way. The illegals should be released just like the Russians "released" those Somali pirates. :D

Thats what the agents are claiming though, the dealer is claiming that he saw no money being handed between the two.

Copeland, in an interview with FoxNews.com, said he and several other witnesses, including Aviles and Huerta's son, who was present during the gun purchase, testified that the men never exchanged money in front of him. He said that throughout the purchase, he either talked with Huerta, who he says "spoke perfect English," or to the group in general, but never to Aviles directly.

Even the illegal immigrants son is claiming that the men did no exchange money in front of him. This is a classic case of "he said, she said"......and with the fact that they are not even attempting to charge the person who MADE the purchase for the illegal immigrant, AND that he is in fact also an illegal immigrant.....just absolutely loses all credibility in my book.

Why doesn't a politician create a law that has driver's licenses expire on the same day a visa expires?

That would be possible but that would have to be a condition to recieve federal funding like the 55 mph speed limit, 21 yr old drinking, .08 drunk driving etc. Driver's licenses are state issues and visas are federal.

It also brings something to my mind. Why doesn't a politician create a law that has driver's licenses expire on the same day a visa expires? As a matter of fact, if someone is here on a work visa or temporary visa how about excluding them from gun purchase?

I agree with this 100%. They should also make it a fine to NOT turn in the license after it has expired, a fine of......$1000 and you pay for your plane ticket back home, and never allowed to return. Its disgusting what these people get away with. If I had an expired license, I would have to pay a fine. But this guy has an expired visa, is here illegally, buys a gun to illegally sell to someone who is not eligable.....and he gets off like its nothing. Its just absolutely disgusting.