robs609

Post Your Tactical Shotgun Pics

This is a Mossberg 590 Presuader with the ghost sight removed.

Has a speed stock attached when it came out from the store

I have attached:

Black Aces Tactical Quad Rail (Alu)

Black Aces side shell holder (Plastic)

Ultimate Arms Forend with 3 rails (2 rails are Metal 1 is Plastic)

Ergo Surestop (Plastic)

Magpul Foregrip (Plastic)

Magpul Rail sling (Metal, steel I think)

Bushnell Red Dot (Metal)

Uncle mike's sling attatchments (Metal)

Shotgun 25 round sling

A little heavy but only with all the ammo is attached including sling but with out it it's not too heavy at all.

Got to start doing some more dumb bell curls.

Need a good light and maybe some flip up sights at 45 degrees

Hmm.... This thread has been quiet for too long.

Anyway, I shot a three gun match (which was tons of fun) a few weeks ago and that started me down a vicious spiral of rethinking my gauge as a social gun. It won't replace an AR for HD - for me - but it is definitely a more capable platform in the new configuration. The Magpul Stock is an excellent compromise of the best parts of a standard stock and a pistol grip.

4BD557E9-3C93-4F9C-9D84-43B10524A58D_zps

Rem 870 Express Magnum

Vang Comp barrel

Vang Comp dome safety

Vang Comp follower

Scattergun Tech +2 mag extension

Magpul furniture (high cheek riser in the stock)

Insight WMLX light

Mesa Tactical side saddle with top rail

Trijicon RMR02

VCAS sling (removed for photo)

I used it at work all last week while on the range and I am very happy with it.

Nice man! How do you like that magpul furniture? Do you find your hand slipping at all when racking it using force?

I'm tossed between getting it or keeping my Hogue over molded stock and forend.

Lalo, I like the Magpul furniture very much. The stock is very comfortable and points very well. I have had no issues with the fore end as of yet - full disclosure: I haven't been running it for very long or in very demanding weather conditions.

John, I have had no issues with the sidesaddle since I called Mesa and received the upgraded "white" retention tube that holds the shells in place.

DD, The light just works there for me. I would prefer to have the light mounted on the side but the sling mount is in the way. I am toying with the idea if installing a scout mount to get the light higher and use a grip that more closely resembles the grip I use in my rifle to activate the light. Currently I use my index finger to turn it on and off with no issues. I did shoot it in low light recently and there is no noticible increase in flash from the barrel vents.

Lalo, I like the Magpul furniture very much. The stock is very comfortable and points very well. I have had no issues with the fore end as of yet - full disclosure: I haven't been running it for very long or in very demanding weather conditions.

John, I have had no issues with the sidesaddle since I called Mesa and received the upgraded "white" retention tube that holds the shells in place.

DD, The light just works there for me. I would prefer to have the light mounted on the side but the sling mount is in the way. I am toying with the idea if installing a scout mount to get the light higher and use a grip that more closely resembles the grip I use in my rifle to activate the light. Currently I use my index finger to turn it on and off with no issues. I did shoot it in low light recently and there is no noticible increase in flash from the barrel vents.

Thanks. Got to give them a call. Thing is a pain in the arse.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just installed a new saddle and as I do with any new weapon or one I make changes to, I take snap shots for record purposes.

So here is my Mossberg 590 Mariner with my first line of defense collection keeping it company. :)

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalo- looking good man. your on the east coast right? I will probably be down your way in the fall, we will have to shoot some clays and hogs. I have access to 7000 acre's in Jupiter

Yeah I am, Palm Coast area, about 3+ hours north of Jupiter. Worth the drive for some home made run and gun setup fun!

I did my first Mossberg 500 "semi-tactical" conversion with the 18.5" security barrel, heat shield, Hogue 12" LOP/forend furniture, and its traditional for the most extent -

I've been itching to do another more tactical build this time around - I found the more limited edition, 590 with 23" breacher barrel, 20" mag tube 7+1 capacity, corn cob forend with strap, and factory pistol grip from Buds for approx $330 - Could get myself an Aimpro Tactical heatshield for the breacher barrel and a collapsible stock and call it a day?

Or does having more than 1 pump in the house sound redundant and I should get an Autoloader like a 930 or save the $$$ for Benelli M4?

The M4 is an odd duck, if you want a benneli go for the M2, probably the most reliable shotgun money can buy.

Personally, I think good modern shotguns are more reliable then pump guns as they take human error out of the equation. However, I don't include the 930 on the list of good shotguns. Or the Versamax for that matter, really no Remington product at all.

• Like 1

The M4 is a sweet shotgun, no doubt.

But, check out the Beretta 1301. 1/2 the price but quality and performance is as good (arguably better).

You can find them under $800 often. I am saving for one now.

As far as too many pump guns? No such thing

Agreed with you on not too many pumps - I am looking up the Beretta 1301 now and doing my research, have not known much about them.

The M4 is an odd duck, if you want a benneli go for the M2, probably the most reliable shotgun money can buy.

Personally, I think good modern shotguns are more reliable then pump guns as they take human error out of the equation. However, I don't include the 930 on the list of good shotguns. Or the Versamax for that matter, really no Remington product at all.

^Thanks guys - also checking out the M2 as we speak - and you're right I was pricing out the 930/Versa etc and the price does get up there and I've heard some so-so stories on them.  Always wanted a good autoloader, something about firing off 5 slugs in a few seconds with just trigger pull entices me - as much as I love AR's and modern sporting rifles just always had a soft spot in my heart for shotguns, maybe because I grew up in the golden era of 80's/90's action movies and they were so prevalent.

I have a beretta 3901 I got used a few years ago. I think I paid 300 for it. I have no complaints I like it alot. I also have an Remington 1100 that works like a charm. On the other hand I have a s&w 1000 that is nothing but issues. I wouldn't trust it much doesn't cycle sometimes just randomly. The 3901 and 1100 I have had no issues at all with.

So, I took a 1 day Shotgun Operators course yesterday given by Joe Riedy and Sights & Triggers out at the Steel City range in Bethlehem PA with the shotgun I posted above.

I took the dot off (it wasn't zeroed after I did some maintenance on the gun and removed the sidesaddle mount) and ran it with just the bead front sight. The gun ran well and I was consistantly ringing AB size steel at 100 yards with slugs while standing. Easy day.

Most of the drills were run with bird shot to learn the skill, then verified with the defensive load of your choice, in my case it was Federal Flite Control Low Recoil 8 pellet 00B - LE13300.

Seeing what a lot of the other guys were using I was very pleased with my results. At 10 yards I could cover the 8 pellets with my fist, and 25 yards I could easily cover them with my hand.

We shot between 275 and 300 rounds during which I had 1 malfunction, a failure to extract and a double feed combo, that I am pretty sure was user induced. I was shooting a drill on the timer and was going too fast, I short stroked the pump which I know caused the double feed, but I am not so sure about the failure to extract - maybe an ammo issue as I was using cheap RIO birdshot I got from Dick's. I didn't have any other problems, (other than sucking it with my pistol on a transition) so I am chalking it up to black magic.

All in all a good day.

• Like 1

FD21BC2C-E2BC-4FF5-BE69-FFB6A71B3D4B_zps

- Remington 870 w/18.5" barrel

- Magpul SGA furniture

- Mesa Tactical railed side saddle

- Bushnell TRS25

- Streamlight TLR-1

- Rattle can paint job with an overspray shot through a laundry bag to soften the edges (the color is a little washed out in the pictures above - it's actually a bit deeper):

855C5611-92F9-4812-B56D-720DFA9C22CB_zps

My original plan was to add a Wilson Combat extension but had to let it go since my magazine tube seems to be out of spec; neither the WC or Vang Comp extensions would thread on.

The last piece that I'm going to add is a Proctor sling (I just need to add the sling mount to forend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I think I'm between these two - Opinions? Not sure about the XS sights on the 500, or having a duplicate 500 with different equipment and same capacity.

Would be cool to take the 590 and throw tactical adjustable stock on it - has 8+1 and breacher barrel standard.  I like the American Flag forestrap and receiver engraving.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/83/products_id/411551115

However this is pretty nice out of the box and comes with the expensive $150 Mossberg Tactical stock and the XS sights/picatinny rail - again though, same capacity I have now and is adding another 500.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/83/products_id/97209

If you are going to get a Mossberg, avoid pistol grips with AR stocks. Makes it really hard to use the safety. Get the Magpul furniture. Best of both worlds - feels like a pistol grip, but has a standard stock so you can use the safety appropriately.

Also, avoid pure pistol grip shotguns. They appropriately fit a specialized role, but for general use a shotgun with a stock will serve you much better. They do look cool though.

IMHO, YMMV, etc...

• Like 1