fliks

Cheap Solution for Pistol/Shotgun light

I'm thinking about outfitting my PX4 Storm and/or Mossberg 500 with some tactical lights. The budget is tight, so I need a cheap(er) solution. was thinking about something like the pic below for the shotgun. SportsMans Guide has it for $35 - that's about how much I'd be willing to spend.

189319i_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

and this one for the pistol - $70

177826m2_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

any suggestions?

Save up for a bit longer, and consider getting a Streamlight TLR-1 ($100-110) or TLR-3 ($75).

Also consider getting a hand-held primary (though it takes a bit more practice), which a Surefire can be found for as low as $30.

ETA:

Lights are important, really important. Even in a KISS (keep it simple, stupid) configuration, whether we're talking about pistols, shotguns, or rifles-- a white light source is a primary aspect for a firearm that your life might be dependent on.

I don't care for all of that other fancy stuff if it doesn't have a purpose. Lasers? Eh. Vertical grips? Eh. Chainsaws? Again unnecessary. But don't skimp out on something as important as a flashlight.

Also, remember, it takes knowledge, prudence, and practice. Know how to utilize it, know when to utilize it, and train train train.

It was demonstrated to me recently how effective a strobing light was. Thats one Im going to add to the tool box...

Which the revised version of the Streamlight TLR-1 does have-- a strobe setting that is. It can be found for roughly $10 more then the original TLR-1.

I really like the lights that are integrated into the shotgun forgrip that have the preassure switches. But I dont have any lights so dont take my advice :p

those are the "Surefire" ones I think, they go for $200 + . I'm considering changing the foregrip anyway, maybe I'll save up for that. I think they're slimmer than others and that's what my small(ish) hands feel comfortable with.

For now, I have a handheld maglite and I practice holding it and my pistol together. haven't tried firing with it, that would be a good test. Lasers - I used to think were a cool thing. now I think that they just seem cool, but aren't so practical.

those are the "Surefire" ones I think, they go for $200 + .

http://www.surefire.com/ShotgunWeaponLights

For now, I have a handheld maglite and I practice holding it and my pistol together. haven't tried firing with it, that would be a good test. Lasers - I used to think were a cool thing. now I think that they just seem cool, but aren't so practical.

While a maglite is better than nothing, it has a lot of limitations when attempting to use it in conjuction with a pistol. A Surefire G2 can be had for $30-40 and is a much better option. Streamlight also makes some inexpensive handheld options. Fenix would be a third option.

A weapon mounted light (tlr1, x300, etc) is, in my opinion, the better choice.

Lasers have their place if you understand their purpose... think very low light situations or unconventional shooting positions.

I can't believe you never even fired that beauty! I guess when one has a bunch of guns, one may leave some unfired. to poor two-gun me, it's not possible :( so now, I either save up for an AK or lights for my existing guns, it seems...

Streamlight TLR-1. You can get the toggle switch for mounting on a rifle if needed. I have one mounted on my XD45 and I never take it off. Can't say enough good things about that light. Bright, rugged(been dropped a few times), and ambi switch is perfect for off hand shooting.

cheaper then dirt barrel clamp, $20 AA LED light from autozone

870light.jpg

How does that light hold up to the recoil of 12g buck shot?

If your going to spend any amount of money ($30-$300) towards placing a light on your weapon, I believe it should a light designed around weapon use. That being said, I have a TLR-1 on my XD45 (great minds Ray Ray, great minds) and a G2 with mount on my SHTF AR.

Another piece of information to consider is that I feel there is a point of diminishing returns with a 300 lumen weapon light. At lights with around 150 lumens, in pitch black conditions indoors, I get a flash bulb effect that actually blinds me (the operator)for a second. I'm talking about the ambient light bouncing off of walls in a tight hallway or small room. It's not as bad with a 100 lumen light, especially when used in short bursts. Since most of us would be using these inside our homes, it's an important factor, in my opinion.

ETA:Practice, Practice, Practice with whatever option you chose. Whether that is a weapon mounted light, or hand held, it does you no good if you don't practice with it.

Another piece of information to consider is that I feel there is a point of diminishing returns with a 300 lumen weapon light. At lights with around 150 lumens, in pitch black conditions indoors, I get a flash bulb effect that actually blinds me (the operator)for a second. I'm talking about the ambient light bouncing off of walls in a tight hallway or small room. It's not as bad with a 100 lumen light, especially when used in short bursts. Since most of us would be using these inside our homes, it's an important factor, in my opinion.

Good point. My 60 and 80 lumen lights are more than enough to light up any part of my house. 100-120 is probably about as bright as I would want to go indoors.

How does that light hold up to the recoil of 12g buck shot?

this was actually the route I was thinking of going - the barrel clamp and maglite or something like it... but I second the question above - ever try shooting with it?

Good point. My 60 and 80 lumen lights are more than enough to light up any part of my house. 100-120 is probably about as bright as I would want to go indoors.

In these types of situations (indoors) with more powerful lights, I was taught to flash the floor, and it would lesson the flash bulb effect. If need be (aka a threat), move and bring the torch up to positive ident/strobe/engage.

Torch? We're in the US.. it's called a flashlight here :icon_razz:

I have light colored walls and carpets, so even a .5 second 60 lumen bounce off the wall/carpet is enough to light up an entire room/hall.

I'm not that familiar with the affects of strobe lights... I have a couple cheapo LEDs that have a strobe function.. and while it's mildly annoying, I haven't really played around with them enough to know if there's any defensive/offensive benefit to them yet.

In these types of situations (indoors) with more powerful lights, I was taught to flash the floor, and it would lesson the flash bulb effect. If need be (aka a threat), move and bring the torch up to positive ident/strobe/engage.

Interesting, thanks for the input. I will have to give that a go tonight. However 90% of my home is hardwood or tile... I'm curious to see how much light it reflects.

would using a red filter make it less harsh on your eyes in reference to acquiring the target? isnt red supposed to be easy on the eyes in darkness?

It might. However it would also do the same for whatever you are trying to ID... I have a Surefire G2 on my nightstand. 80 Lumens is about the right brightness for my applications, you just need to be mindful not to throw off your own vision.

Eh, red does help the eyes' low/no light vision, but it has always had more of an administrative purpose (map reading, signaling, non-IR ident) then an applied purpose. Stick to white light because it is better for IDing, and strobing if necessary.

...177826m2_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

any suggestions?

I have a variant of the above (CAA/Command arms accessories light/laser) that I use on my CX4 storm 9mm with a remote switch. Happy with it on *THAT* rifle. Haven't tried it on a handgun.

However, it won't hold up to shotgun recoil; the first time I tried it on my 12 ga semi the battery door came open after about 2 shots and stopped it from lighting/lasing.

I have 2 - I'm keeping the one on my storm, the one on my shotgun will go up for sale shortly, not sure what I'm going to replace it with yet.

alright, so if it worked for the CX4 Storm 9mm, it should be ok for the PX4 Storm 9mm. thanx!

as for the shotgun, I'm considering leaving it lightless for now. I also use it for skeet (change the bbl to a 28" vent rib), so I don't want to bother taking the light on and off.