Pizza Bob

Boardwalk Empire

Looks like HBO has another winner on its hands. Caught the premier last night and I'm chafing at the bit for next week's episode.

I think I saw one anachronism (I'll have to watch it again to make sure) - before I say what I think I saw, did anyone else catch anything? Keep in mind if it's on this forum, it is firearms related. Wolfy I would expect you to get this, if you watched it last night.

Is Michael Pitt Brad's brother?

So what did everybody think?

Discuss.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I caught it and thought that it was really pretty good. I hadn't read or heard anything about it, so I didn't really know what I was getting into. As a show about Gangsters/Mobsters in Atlantic City during the 1920's and prohibition, I think I find myself hooked as well.

As far as the anachronism I definitely don't know enough about that time period. I was kinda surprised when the young guy told the other young guy his name was Al Capone. I only then started putting the pieces together.

Gun-related: Those shotguns sure seemed to be able to shoot a lot of shells... including the double-barrel...? :icon_e_confused:

Bob I liked it and missed what you saw. I was surfing the net and watching but figure it has to be a S&W revolver.

Good guess. In the scene, close to the beginning, where they were talking about the G-men and showed them shooting at the range - they were using model 10 HB's, which didn't exist until 1957. Should have been M&P .38 spls the precursor to the model 10.

Great show though. Only an anally retentive firearms obsessed person would notice that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Guest megaman

Good guess. In the scene, close to the beginning, where they were talking about the G-men and showed them shooting at the range - they were using model 10 HB's, which didn't exist until 1957. Should have been M&P .38 spls the precursor to the model 10.

Great show though. Only an anally retentive firearms obsessed person would notice that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Great show, no 6 gauge South Jersey Duck guns? Im surprised...Those are totally south Jerz

I was kinda surprised when the young guy told the other young guy his name was Al Capone.

yea that surprised me too in reviews for the show I've even heard his name mentioned but I just never thought of it until after he said it.

I really enjoyed the first episode though definitely looking forward to more

It made me want to go to AC again.

Why is that? Scorsese is Exec Producing AND directing. How could it be bad?

I wasn't sure Buscemi could pull off a "boss" roll. I generally like him as an actor, but I always find his characters to be a little whiney and/or goofy... even when he was in the Sopranos. But, so far so good. Really looking forward to the next episode.

Because Asbury Park turned them down. More lost revenue for NJ.

I think they would have done it in NY anyway. One issue was that the state used to offer 20% of the production cost (200k on a million) which can seriously help defray the filmmaker's cost. Christie cut this from the budget. NY offers 30%, 300K on a million plus Brooklyn is where the company's main production facility is. They would have had a bunch of people commuting from NYC to Asburylosing 2 1/2 to 3 hours daily or spent a lot more keeping the production crew in hotels.

Reda this in Sunday's asbury Park Press.

A friend of mine works for HBO marketing and actually got me and my wife into the premiere of the show in Atlantic City. The screening was this past Thursday and the after-party events were awesome. Saw some of the talent (unfortunately, Buscemi was not there) but it was great times.

Show was awesome. I can't wait for the rest of the season. Another anachronism that I caught...

"Lucky" Luciano wasn't referred to as Lucky until after an attempt at his life around the end of the 20's, early 30's, so technically, they shouldnt be referring to him as that in the show.. Also, I think he was already in his 30's in 1920... but he's portrayed as being younger.

Anybody want to bet how many episodes be for you see Joe Pantoliano?

I looked him up on wiki because I couldn't remember who he was (I remember now btw) but the first thing i see "He is often referred to as "Joey Pants," due to the difficulty some have pronouncing his Italian surname." not only that but his own website is called http://www.joeypants.com

I found that funny.

Just saw it last night,and thought it was very good.

Lots of action and historical shots.

The road sign for Hammonton as "The blueberry capitol of the world" was cool.

Not sure if it will top the Soprano's

but defintely something to look forward to on Sunday nights.

Just saw it last night,and thought it was very good.

Lots of action and historical shots.

The road sign for Hammonton as "The blueberry capitol of the world" was cool.

Not sure if it will top the Soprano's

but defintely something to look forward to on Sunday nights.

LOTS of shows topped the Sopranos.

OZ,The Wire, Deadwood. Sopranos were good maybe 1st 2 or 3 seasons.

LOTS of shows topped the Sopranos.

OZ,The Wire, Deadwood. Sopranos were good maybe 1st 2 or 3 seasons.

Deadwood was pretty good, never got into,the other ones you mentioned.

But close to the Sopranos was Rome.

Six feet under was a good one too.

Deadwood was pretty good, never got into,the other ones you mentioned.

But close to the Sopranos was Rome.

Six feet under was a good one too.

You HAVE to see The Wire.

FAR better then the Sopranos.

OZ was AWESOME too. A lot of guys from there went on to the Wire as well.

FAR better then the Sopranos ever were barring season 1 and 2 MAYBE.

Rome was Great too.

I watch both episodes and I don't think it's a good as last season. Maybe it's just me. For you "The Walking Dead" fans, the 2nd season starts on the 16th.

yup the walking dead fans know. http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19550-the-walking-dead/page__st__200

cant wait for that too. sucks it has to be on sundays as well. Football, family guy, boardwalk empire, walking dead. all on at the same time. 6 other days in the week, well wednesday is taken by sons of anarchy, but 5 other days during the week. why cant these shows spread themselves out more?! :banghead:

I watch this show religiously, this season is similar to the first one, starting off kind of slow. Hopefully like last season it will start to pick up soon, with some good action. My girlfriend finds it absolutely mind numbing, while I find it riveting even when it is slow.

I don't think it's really slow, as much as they're doing a lot of building up. For example, I think last weeks episode was extremely tense with Chalky and that other guy in jail. I definitely think it will really start to pick up soon, though.