Sign in to follow this  
BoBoPrime

Rossi Ranch Hand

Howdy all!

I am interested in the Rossi Ranch Hand.

Link to Rossi Site

This is a replica of the Steve McQueen "Wanted: Dead or Alive" Mare's Leg lever action pistol (and ostensibly a reference to the "Firefly" series and "Serenity" Sci-Fi movie).

My first question is the obvious one... Is it NJ legal? I know there is a maximum weight for handguns that this likely exceeds, but does that apply to a lever action pistol, too?

Its important to note that the inventor of the Mare's Leg is suing Rossi/Taurus for cutting him out of the sales when Taurus bought Rossi: Article on the Mare's Leg case

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

BoBo'

I think that would be classified as a SBR here in NJ. So... no :(

I certainly understand where that could be an issue, but since this is being sold as a handgun and not a converted rifle/carbine, I think that may bypass that concern (as other have stated).

Found the section I was referring to and it seems to apply only to semi-autos AND detachable magazines:

"A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and"

Looks like I've found something to use a pistol permit on...this gun looks like a lot of fun! :icon_e_biggrin: Anyone have an idea of a ballpark price for these guys? There's one on GunBroker right now, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate price or not.