db1775

Transporting a Rifle in NJ

Hi guys,

What is your opinion on what the NJ law says about carrying long guns in a soft case within NJ? The statue says it needs to be in a locked case -- just wondering if that means we must have it in a locked hard case; I'm not aware of a lockable soft case.

Apologies if this was covered in another thread, but I could not find one addressing this specific question about the long gun transportation laws.

Thanks!

They way I read this is that only if you do not have a compartment separate (e g trunk) then you must lock it , otherwise you don`t need to lock it. Am i wrong ?

Did the BH class say Locked no matter what ?

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

If i remember corrctly, class said separated by a case (firearm and ammo), need not be locked if in the trunk. So yes, when I go to the range I have the guns and the ammo stored separately, but both are not locked. I use the plastic hard case that came with the gun, and I put my ammo in a separate zippered bag, also unlocked.

To transport your guns, one of the two circumstances in color below need to be satisfied. The text on the NJSP website does not reflect the statutes in place in NJ. They simply copied the text from the Federal FOPA guidelines.

NJS 2C:39-6g:

"All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported,and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

Thanks guys for all of your help -- it is much appreciated.

Krdshrk -- I like that luggage lock solution, but my case only has one zipper pull.

Malusa, sorry to parse this so much, but in your opinion does "closed and fastened" include "zippered"? I suppose all of this would be moot if my behicle had a trunk, but I only have a mini-van without a trunk separate from the passenger compartment.

In any event, I am probably just better off returning this soft case to avoid the possibility of being harassed.

On a related note, as a person new to firearms ownership in NJ, I find it kind of insulting that our state gov't goes far out of its way to deliberately confuse law-abiders to the point of making us worry about the legal equivalents of a zipper.

Krdshrk -- I like that luggage lock solution, but my case only has one zipper pull.

Is there any place you can attach a lock to near the end? A cable gun lock works too. I'm surprised it only has one zipper pull. All of my soft cases have 2.