Sign in to follow this  
njmike

M4gery stock question

I currently own a Stag-15 and the stock is a telescoping stock pinned at the longest distance. It does not have much comfort for me at the range, I would like it tucked in a little more.

My Question:

All I have been able to find in searching is that the stock cannot telescope... but does NJ Law say how long the stock has to be? So can I pull the pin out, collapse the stock to somewhere in the middle and then re-pin it?

I would rather be sure than find out the hard way. Thanks in advance and look forward to your responses.

Mike

I currently own a Stag-15 and the stock is a telescoping stock pinned at the longest distance. It does not have much comfort for me at the range, I would like it tucked in a little more.

My Question:

All I have been able to find in searching is that the stock cannot telescope... but does NJ Law say how long the stock has to be? So can I pull the pin out, collapse the stock to somewhere in the middle and then re-pin it?

I would rather be sure than find out the hard way. Thanks in advance and look forward to your responses.

Mike

Yes. I do not believe the length matters, only that it is a fixed length and not adjustable.

a** a 9 to say the least.

as long as it meets the minimal length requirements..

as long as it is not foldable or collapsible you are fine..

I do not recall the minimal overall length off the top of my head.. but yeah you can do what you want to do.. some may recommend you have a gunsmith do it.. but take the gun apart.. make the adjustment and then put it back together.. just make sure to pin it in a way that is not questionable..

I believe the overall length is the applicable thing in this case, which is 26" (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The NJ AWB states you can't have a collapsible or folding stock, which implies that you must have a fixed stock and there is no minimum size for a stock in NJ firearms code. I also don't remember if the overall length is NJ and federal, or just federal.

FWIW, this issue points out the stupidity of the NJ AWB. The original justification for banning adjustable stocks included an argument that with the stock in the shortest position, the rifle would be easy to conceal under a jacket, but there's nothing that prevents you from pinning the stock in that shortest position. :facepalm:

It is 26'', and that is Federal law, not state.

You won't be able to "un-pin" your current stock because in the process, the stock would probably be damaged or destroyed beyond the point of being able to be used again.

Instead, just buy a new stock and receiver extension, and bring/ship it to a smith (there are plenty on this forum)-- and they'll pin it for a small fee at whichever length you wish.

Or you can buy fixed stocks that are a shorter LOP (length of pull) already. Rock River Arms sells an "entry" stock (around 7''), as does Cav Arms (A1 length), Sully stock (around 7'', my personal preference), and a number of the ACE stocks (which range from short to longer LOPs).

Good luck.

You won't be able to "un-pin" your current stock because in the process, the stock would probably be damaged or destroyed beyond the point of being able to be used again.

depends on how it's pinned.. just for the hell of it I took my old pinned DPMS stock apart after I replaced it with a fixed stock just to see how pinned it was.. about 10 minutes with a punch I knocked out the two pins and then physically overcame the epoxy on the inside and I could have easily reused it.. but yeah some of them I have seen do get destroyed during unpinning.. but it really varies dramatically..

I just changed the stock on my S&W M&P 15-22 to a Magpul MOE stock, and it wasn't hard even for a novice but it did destroy the stock on there from the factory. And that was a question I had, can't I pin it collapsed even though it came pinned fully extended?

And that whole exercise really made me realize how stupid that law really is. Usually I just keep my mouth shut and respect the law but c'mon, really?

I just changed the stock on my S&W M&P 15-22 to a Magpul MOE stock, and it wasn't hard even for a novice but it did destroy the stock on there from the factory. And that was a question I had, can't I pin it collapsed even though it came pinned fully extended?

And that whole exercise really made me realize how stupid that law really is. Usually I just keep my mouth shut and respect the law but c'mon, really?

I think that the consensuses is that no one ever actually believed that any one "evil feature" or combination of "evil features" really had anything to do with a firearm being safe for the public or not.. I think that the bigger picture is banning guns that had an abundance of "evil features" essentially banned most military/le type guns, which was probably the actual intent... that is of course until gun manufactures simply removed flash hiders.. pinned stocks.. and ground off bayonet lugs..

I don't think the government is ridiculous enough to think that your "M&P 15 without bayonet lug" is any less dangerous to the public than a "traditional AR15 with a bayonet attached".. these laws are focused on black listing an entire group of firearms.. they are not focused on actually making anyone safer.. they just want to feel safer.. lol

So my best bet would be to measure the rifle from the tip of the muzzle break to the butt of the stock for a total of 26 inches and I should be legal? Sorry, but I am new to firearms and this is my first M4gery.

Ha, well, you're right-- "easily" removable can vary, and is for debate of what it means in application.

It appears that the way Stag Arms pins their stocks is they have a single hole tapped in the extension tube and use an allen head screw to secure the stock. So really all I have to do is drill and tap my own hole in the extension tube where I would like the stock to be and still have it be legal.

I don't think the government is ridiculous enough to think that your "M&P 15 without bayonet lug" is any less dangerous to the public than a "traditional AR15 with a bayonet attached".. lol

I disagree, I think many in Govt are just that stupid. not all, but many. Just google Carolyn McCarthy and her barrel shroud video. :facepalm:

I disagree, I think many in Govt are just that stupid. not all, but many. Just google Carolyn McCarthy and her barrel shroud video. :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I have watched that video dozens of times when I want to laugh at the extreme level of ignorance of the people making gun laws. That lady just has a political vendetta after what happened to her husband and son. It was sad but maybe they would have lived if someone around them was carrying.

So my best bet would be to measure the rifle from the tip of the muzzle break to the butt of the stock for a total of 26 inches and I should be legal? Sorry, but I am new to firearms and this is my first M4gery.

It appears that the way Stag Arms pins their stocks is they have a single hole tapped in the extension tube and use an allen head screw to secure the stock. So really all I have to do is drill and tap my own hole in the extension tube where I would like the stock to be and still have it be legal.

If you have a Legal Length barrel, it doesnt matter WHERE you pin the stock,you will have the legal length. Oh, and the overall and barrel lenghts are Mirrored in NJ statutes as well as being part of the NFA. My daughter's AR is pinned all the way closed at the moment, although by next summeer i figure she'll need at least one or two more clicks on the stock. Drive out the pin, re-pin and it's GTG. Once she slows down growing I may go the Stag route with the threaded screw jsut so it's a tad more stable.

I think that the consensuses is that no one ever actually believed that any one "evil feature" or combination of "evil features" really had anything to do with a firearm being safe for the public or not.. I think that the bigger picture is banning guns that had an abundance of "evil features" essentially banned most military/le type guns, which was probably the actual intent... that is of course until gun manufactures simply removed flash hiders.. pinned stocks.. and ground off bayonet lugs..

I don't think the government is ridiculous enough to think that your "M&P 15 without bayonet lug" is any less dangerous to the public than a "traditional AR15 with a bayonet attached".. these laws are focused on black listing an entire group of firearms.. they are not focused on actually making anyone safer.. they just want to feel safer.. lol

See if you really think about it, it really is focusing on that detail and the other "evil" details however ridiculous... They not only ban an entire list by name, and say you cannot have Such and such weapon BY NAME, but then go over and ban by specific features, including and not limited to said collapsible stock and aforementioned bayonet lug... That is, to me, very specific attempts to make sure their bans include as much as possible, by including specific named weapons *and also* specific features, most of which are all on the same weapons, but if not, you still can't have them anyway.

If your stag is anything like mine you may need to purchase a carbine length buffer tube to get the length of pull you want.