kickup

Looking to buy hi-capacity 45...opinions please

i am looking to buy a high capacity 45acp.. Have kind of narrowed it down to the Springfield XD 45, Glock 21 and the FNP-45. Anybody have any experience or opinions on these??? Thanks to all who respond.

The FN has a pretty hefty grip. It is a nice shooter. The full-size Glocks (20 & 21) has the same large grip issue. The Slim Frame Glocks are a bit better (G20SF) though. If you have your heart set on a Glock, the new Generation 4 models should be coming out soon. They will have adjustable backstraps that will allow for smaller hands. I am a fan of the Glock. The one gun that I can't recommend (some people love them however) is the XD. Although the grip is nicer than the other guns I mentioned, it has the highest bore axis I have ever seen on a pistol. That high axis makes it harder for a shooter to get back on target after the shot. I also don't care for the 1911 grip safety (again, others love that).

I think the most comfortable of the 45ACP plastics is the Beretta Storm. Beretta recently lowered the prices on them, so they can be gotten for cheaper than the others. It also has a nice rotating barrel recoil system that reduces felt recoil nicely.

I want an fnp45 down the road.

Read great things about it...

The tactical version is a beaut

I'm sure the xd and glock are both plenty reliable

I held the fnp at a local shop and it looked and felt great...

If 10 rounds is enough, my new favorite is Baby Eagle in 45. 10 rounds, and all steel. very accurate and low recoil.

If 1911 is your fancy, you can get any 1911 and have 10 round magazines. They do stick out a tad.

If you want a quality gun and cost is secondary, get an STI 2011 as ronhonda has mentioned.

Other 45's I have shot/owned... Hk45 (10 rounds), Glocks. etc.

I like the Hk45, it does reduce the recoil quite a bit, not as much as the all steel Jericho/baby eagle, or a 1911, but very well for a polymer.

I have shot the full size glocks in 45, and it was a bit harsh of an experience.

The FNP 45 is supposed to be a really nice handgun. 14 or 15 rounds you can get into the mags, and even though it is big, very comfy. TJ Sporting arms has one used, and BA has a few new in stock.

I was down at Lawman in Egg Harbor Twp the other week and looked at Glock 45 cal and the Springfield XD 45 cal and what everyone on here is sayin about the grip on the Glock is right , very large and uncomfortable , now the XD was nice , as far as the XDMs he said youll never see them in nj ......

I use my XD45 Tactical for tactical classes and competitions. I have never had a problem with it. It is comfortable to shoot, accurate and trouble free. I took a tactical class with it and put 800 + or - rounds through it in 2 days time (no cleaning between). The only malfunctions were the ones I created for clearing drills. I love my XD.

Get a Glock... Sig is good, but heavy; HK is great, but pricey; XDs have too much going on (loaded chamber indicators, firing pin indicators, grip safeties); S&W is almost a Glock clone, just more expensive.

So what makes a Glock better? =)

S&W alot more comfy.

Glocks are reliable... but dont fit everyone, nor the most pleasant to shoot.

With hi-cap 45s the thing is that the gun fits your hand.

10+ 45acps make for a thick handle. try them on for size.

My 2cents the HK USP .45, Best automatic i've ever shot.

Depends on the size of your hand. But yes - I've fired a HK USP .45 and it feels great.

Have you checked out the XDm in 45acp? mags will be an issue here in NJ. What about the M&P in 45acp? And lastly have you considered a double stack 1911 type gun from STI?

example http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Tactical4.15/Tactical415.php

i was not aware of STI.. They look great on the web site..Do you think they are good enough to justify the much higher price? $2000.00 vs. $550 to 700 for the others

Thanks for the input

Peter

One gun that hasn't gotten much attention in this thread is the Smith & Wesson M&P45. It has great ergonomics. It was accurate in my hands at 10 yards and felt great to shoot. I didn't love the trigger, but that is something common to the plastic fantastics. There are usually easy and inexpensive ways of making them really smooth.

One gun that hasn't gotten much attention in this thread is the Smith & Wesson M&P45. It has great ergonomics. It was accurate in my hands at 10 yards and felt great to shoot. I didn't love the trigger, but that is something common to the plastic fantastics. There are usually easy and inexpensive ways of making them really smooth.

I was going to .... but I think people get tired of me talking about how much I love my M&P :icon_redface:

Actually, the XDm in .45 is perfectly legal in NJ. It uses the same 13 round mags that the XD45 takes. Only the XDm's in .40 and 9mm have capacities greater than 15, making them far too dangerous for us common folks. :blink:

If I'm not mistaken, Silver Bullet in Rockaway sells the XDm pistols. I think he's (or was last year) the only one who has the blessing of the NJSP to neuter the factory mags. We were fondling looking at them when Lynn got her XD9SC.

i was not aware of STI.. They look great on the web site..Do you think they are good enough to justify the much higher price? $2000.00 vs. $550 to 700 for the others

Thanks for the input

Peter

The STI's are hang built steel guns. ready for every day use and built to withstand competitive use. For most, it will probably be overkill, however, if you like the 1911 design and want a double stack, this is what you have.

Or... if you want a good balance...

Get a STI Spartan in a 45, and get some 10 round 1911 magazines... For around $700, you have a terrific 1911.