PWKARCH

Zeroing in rifles

Does anyone know of any gunsmiths or anyone else qualified to zero in rifles? I have several in need of such a setup, and I do not have the stands or expertise to zero them in, 2 at 50 yards and 2 others at 100 yards.

Even if I did have the equipment, I don't have the vision that I once had. I am having trouble seeing my front sights as it is, and as such I have declined in my ability to sharp shoot as I once did. At least if I knew the weapons were sighted properly for a set distance, I would have a better chance of shooting more on target while at the range. I need (2) .22 rimfires sighted for 50 yards and (2) .223 centerfires sighted for 100 yards.

FYI, I am in southern NJ, and shoot at the South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow Township. Please, if anyone can advise me regarding my request, I would appreciate it.

Guest schutzen-jager

because of variation in different peoples eyes another person sighting in your rifles is an iffy proposition - are they both none scoped ?

Does anyone know of any gunsmiths or anyone else qualified to zero in rifles? I have several in need of such a setup, and I do not have the stands or expertise to zero them in, 2 at 50 yards and 2 others at 100 yards.

Even if I did have the equipment, I don't have the vision that I once had. I am having trouble seeing my front sights as it is, and as such I have declined in my ability to sharp shoot as I once did. At least if I knew the weapons were sighted properly for a set distance, I would have a better chance of shooting more on target while at the range. I need (2) .22 rimfires sighted for 50 yards and (2) .223 centerfires sighted for 100 yards.

FYI, I am in southern NJ, and shoot at the South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow Township. Please, if anyone can advise me regarding my request, I would appreciate it.

I can see how that'd be tough for iron sights. Could you perhaps try to achieve a "mathmatical" zero by reviewing the pertienent caliber's ballistics data, then matching a 50 or 100 yard zero's anticipated point of impact when aiming at targets only 15 yards away? I know that errors would be a bit more magnified when zeroing that close, but it could probably at least get you in the ball park for height, and I don't think distance has an effect on horizontal alignment so you can definetly get the sights centered while you're at it.

Too many variables for someone else to zero in your rifles as has been said.

Could you perhaps try to achieve a "mathmatical" zero by reviewing the pertienent caliber's ballistics data, then matching a 50 or 100 yard zero's anticipated point of impact when aiming at targets only 15 yards away?

For just about any cartridge the difference bewteen 15 and 50 would be negligible. Have you fired the rifles at all? Can you hit a target at 15 yards with the 22? You might do better if you see an opthamologist or optometrist that undersatnds how you need to focus when shooting and have diffrent glasses made.

I would consider some form of optic that allows for a decent amount of magnification... guns aren't fun if you can't hit anything.. lol this way things will be dialed in for YOU..

A low or no magnification would work as well. Optics would put the target and sights (crosshairs) all on one plane. There would be no need to align front sight, rear sight, target, the scope does that for you. This would seem to be the easy answer.

My understanding of zeroing in at least iron sights is that an operator zeroes the sights to the rifle, and not necessarily the person to the rifle. What I was taught was there could be some slight differences, but if one person were to zero five different rifles-- then five different people can easily qualify with any of those rifles (on an Army marksmanship test).

A properly zeroed rifle will be "close" enough for others to use. Assuming we aren't talking sub minute guns at 1000m.

I wouldn't pay someone to zero a rifle though. Get someone to give you a hand when you're at SJSC.

Guest schutzen-jager

My understanding of zeroing in at least iron sights is that an operator zeroes the sights to the rifle, and not necessarily the person to the rifle. What I was taught was there could be some slight differences, but if one person were to zero five different rifles-- then five different people can easily qualify with any of those rifles (on an Army marksmanship test).

true , but only to a limited degree - there is a difference between military qualifications + rifle accuracy - just a 1/16" change of head or eye position on stock can make a 1 foot difference in point of 1mpact at 100 yards depending on caliber -