bbk

New Iteration of SureFire lights

I believe there was talk of Surefire discontinuing their G2 and 6P series of lights (reason for the LAPG closeout sale the other week).

Well, Surefire has unveiled the new iterations of both: http://www.surefire.com/G2X6PXCampaign

There will be the single output "tactical" version (200 lumens only) with the classic Surefire tail cap (push for momentary and twist-on). MSRP: $55

The dual output "pro" version (200 high/15 low) has the click-switch tail cap. MSRP: $65

(The main difference between the G2X and 6PX is that one is polymer and the other aluminum).

Personally, I am glad Surefire followed through with this move. Most of the community that needs torches for every day use had been asking for a light with at least 120 lumens, and they answered with 200. Run time is pretty good at 2hrs (@200 lumens), and runs on two C123As.

The design looks like it got a minor face lift as well, though equally as bland.

Anybody have one already that is willing to share a quick review? If I can budget it in, I'll try to get one ASAP and review it if no one has by then.

I wish Surefire would make a compatible tape switch system for the G2 or 6P. I understand they want to really push their other systems (Scout series, and other combat lights)-- but consumers have been begging for one... so there is definitely a market (for Surefire to benefit from). I was really hoping for this with the latest iteration, but to no avail.

Also, and this is a general question but pertains to this topic, LED lights aren't recommended to be used with IR filters, correct? I read that IR filters should be used with incandescent bulbs to be more effective-- something about LED's frequencies not being optimal. So, the G2X/6PX wouldn't be recommended, as they're both LED (and Surefire won't be releasing incandescent models IIRC). Thoughts? Shane? Anybody else with this type of knowledge?

Also, and this is a general question but pertains to this topic, LED lights aren't recommended to be used with IR filters, correct? I read that IR filters should be used with incandescent bulbs to be more effective-- something about LED's frequencies not being optimal. So, the G2X/6PX wouldn't be recommended, as they're both LED (and Surefire won't be releasing incandescent models IIRC). Thoughts? Shane? Anybody else with this type of knowledge?

While I have more than my fair share of Surefires, I've never really looked into IR filters, so wasn't aware of the IR filter with LED thing. But a couple minutes on the Surefire site seems to confirm what you said: "NOTE: Infrared filters are not useful with white-light LEDs (light emitting diodes), which produce negligible infrared radiation." Interestingly enough, they do make an LED IR Illuminator:M1 Illuminator but I guess that means it's not based on a white LED. Good stuff tho - I learned something today :)

I wish Surefire would make a compatible tape switch system for the G2 or 6P. I understand they want to really push their other systems (Scout series, and other combat lights)-- but consumers have been begging for one... so there is definitely a market (for Surefire to benefit from). I was really hoping for this with the latest iteration, but to no avail.

I don't know how you are mounting the G2.. but with a magpul AFG and a vtac light mount it puts my G2 to where I can use the momentary feature OR twist it on with just my thumb.. no need for extra wires and other stuff..

That's a lot of light. I have about (6) G2 Nitrolons floating around in my cars, tool box and cleaning kit.

I have a few G2's also.. I was always satisfied with them..