Sign in to follow this  
Radek

What's so special about Aimpoints and such?

As most of you know, you can get a cheap red-dot (or even a illuminated 1-4x scope) for under $100. Mostly made in China, but also made in some other non-US country. It's clear, we (USA) can't produce it cheap here. (As to why is a separate thread.) Over time we have learned that some foreign manufactured products are good and some are simply junk ... it's obvious when you get them in your hand!

We also see standard size and mini red-dots for over $400 (mini-ones going for a premium), scopes with sky-is-the-limit, etc. You know the brands. And I wonder if I should buy one of those expensive ones ... but then we as civilians will not have a real need for such exotic gadgets, but some of us buy it anyway, for fun or whatever ... more power to you!

So, what makes a simple red-dot device so (optically and mechanically) special compared to another? Clearly, there is precision in the making of the device and the dot projection mechanism itself, but it's a fixed dot! So, beyond holding its (zero) after many shocks, what else is special?

I hope it's simply not that "US is no longer competitive in the world market" and we price our products high because ... whatever.

But I am getting ahead of myself. Let's hear your thoughts on the merits of a high quality red-dot in particular. Please rank the brands and prices you are willing to pay, so at least I can educate myself.

Thanks in advance ...

• Like 1

When it comes to optics, I believe it's all about the lenses, just like SLR cameras. The more expensive lenses are clearer, and you can usually see a difference. That being said, I don't know whether it really makes a difference with red dot devices.

i had the same mind set as you redek and on more than one occasion i took the gamble and bought the knock off aimpiont and eotech. aimpoint was ok but battery life sucks i shot with it on the gsg times and now battery is dead. the eotech was a good clone as far as looks go. when your turn it on different story. when you turn it on there is one bright ring with dot then like a clover there were 3or 4 different rings surrounding it. i put it on my saiga and took it to the rang to my delight turn it on set to highest setting and you cant see anything what so ever put my hand over the front and the dot is there just could never use in winter wtf is the good of it???

as far as scopes go i bought all barska long range scope if you dont look through anyother scope you will kinda be ok. you will move your head all around tring to get a good sight picture but never get a super clear picture. i reccently put a millett scope on my remington 700 .308 and even though price wise a 250-500 price range,its much much better. i then switched to my ar with barska scope and ask liberty or death, i shot 15 rounds and took apart my ar cased it and said F this time for new scopes.

First off Aimpoint is not American. If your use is only EVER ENTERTAINMENT oriented buy what you like. Be prepared for dissappointment though because its likely. Consider the false economics of battery conumption, wasted ammo chasing a wandering zero, and range trips that are wasted because your $50 RDS went TU.

Consider the fact you can leave an Aimpoint on and at the ready for YEARS at a time. Its divable, hard use proven etc etc. Is it worth it to me to have an optic I can trust and depend on even for shooting a local match? Hell yes. It costs me about 100 bucks all in to shoot a match. I dont want that wasted because I cheaped out on an optic. Nor do I want a failure if I ever needed to depend on it for a real life emergency need.

I view my firearms as an insurance policy I get to play with. So my corner stone systems must be squared away.

Shane <---- Changing my sig line to buy once cry once!!!

Aimpoints, as well as ACOGs EOTechs and the rest are made for the military, where you absolutely have to have it working, otherwise you're dead. If it was something that my life depended on, I'd be willing to spend the extra money for it. As it is, I have a knockoff Aimpoint Micro T1 that I use for Airsoft. I put it on tommy3rd's CX4 Storm and it was just as good. Will it be able to hold zero? I don't know. But for poops and giggles, it was fine.

To highlight what Shane said, the biggest differences I see/experience with the higher end stuff (Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon Reflex, Doctor Optics, etc) is that they are dead reliable.

After firing thousands of rounds, beating them up, getting them wet, and regardless of the weather/temp you do it in-- they'll continue to function. The housing won't fall apart, batteries will last relatively longer (well, Aimpoint specifically in this case... my H-1 should be good on setting 7 for about 10,000 hours... for reference, my night setting is 6, my day setting is 8-10), and, most importantly to me, it will maintain zero.

As Shane said, and I completely agree, if its a casual plinker, I wouldn't spend anymore then $100-150. If I am going to rely on this rifle (whether its for my own life or competition in Shane's case as well), then I want something that has proved through the years/uses will minimize that chance of failing.

There are plenty of decent options out there that haven't necessarily proved themselves yet, but are on their way possibly (just need more time, and maybe another iteration IMO). Some models of Burris, C-More, and Vortex come to mind. These aren't necessarily cheap, but they aren't 400-600.

For casual plinking, I have to recommend checking out Primary Arms' line of red dots (I've never tried their scopes). I beat their drum a lot, but its only because they've been absolutely fantastic to me for years. They'll also say, straight up, if you need an optic that your life depends on, go elsewhere (well, really they were referencing go with the real deal of their clones, which are Aimpoint). Still, for plinking, I've never heard issues of their units losing zero (which I could imagine is the biggest issue with plinkers). I recommend checking them out: http://www.primaryarms.com/main.sc

Aimpoint strapped to my ultimak gas tube 7.62x39 x's tons of range time.. super hot conditions on the tube.. no loss of zero... no fog or other distortion.. literally no failure whatsoever.. I accidentally left my aimpoint on for days once, and I still have yet to change the batteries.. as pointed out.. the difference being that within reason.. the unit will not fail.. if that intense level of reliability is not needed.. then I am sure there are many clones out there that will do the job.. but as said.. I would rather pay $500 once and never think about it again as opposed to paying $100... $150.. and wondering when I will need to replace..

It's a matter of quality. I have a Primary Arms red dot... it was a good preview for what I want in an Aimpoint T-1... When I get the T-1 through the magic group buy witchcraft, I will move the Primary Arms onto my Marlin .22lr bolt action... Then, I can give my brother's red-dot back to him.