Damjan

First 2 handguns to buy

Also depends on what you intend to use it for. You would definitely pick a different pistol if you were choosing for HD over a range toy. Your price range would also be helpful as well as whether you would like a revolver or semi-auto.

I was thinking of the Ruger MK3 as a 22lr ,

Budget is around under 1K all in.

For the other one a compact revolver steel.

I would shoot them very often since i go to the range every other week with rifles. I would not use them as a HD weapons since i have a shotgun for that.

oh yah.... good memory, Maks!

I keep glancing at it once in a while, I can't believe no one has snatched this baby up yet!

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18388-wts-sw-model-22a-semi-w-2-mags-22lr/

nice .22 at a good price.

Funny - I wrote something about this roughly a week ago.

FAQ 1

What should I select for my first pistol?

ANS1

In NJ, where each pistol requires a permit and in most cases requires a 30 day waiting period between

purchases, this is a critical item of concern for new shooters.

This is a highly debatable topic, however; in our experience, a .22 pistol is always an excellent choice.

The cost of ammunition is extremely low, the recoil is low and generally will not turn off inexperience

shooters from handling a gun. Furthermore, history has shown that when ammunition shortages occur,

22 ammunition is the last item to be “out of stock”.

The 22 pistol allows inexperienced shooters to develop appropriate shooting skills and due to its low

recoil prevents flinching that may occur with larger rounds.

The 22 pistols has the same features of any other handgun and should not be discounted as a “wimpy”

round or a “toy” gun. Neither of these statements are accurate. 22 handguns are just as accurate (in

some cases, moreso) than their larger caliber cousins out to 50 yards. In addition, the 22LR round has

been reportedly used for many years by the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) as an offensive weapon.

We do not attempt to purport that a 22LR handgun is preferable for self-defense, however, it is better

than not having a gun at all.

FAQ2

Ok, I've selected a 22LR for my first pistol, what shall I select for my second pistol?

ANS2

This question is highly subjective. In order to answer it appropriately it is necessary to assess one's

needs. Do you want a large caliber, slow moving round or do you want a smaller claiber, fast moving

round? How important is ammunition cost to you? The US military up until 1985 used a 1911 pistol a

45 caliber pistol with an 8 round capacity. In 1985 they changed to a Beretta 92FS, a 9mm pistol with

a 15 round capacity. Obviously both pistols fill different niches. We suggest that you consider your

needs and perform your own research, but in any case, we recommend actually handling and if possible

test shooting what you intend to purchase in order that you can determine for yourself how the gun you

are considering fits in your hand and reacts with your body. The gun you hate to shoot is the only gun

that is a waste of money.

I went with a 9mm for my first gun and IMHO it was the best choice. I guess if you plan on purchasing another gun in 30 days it really doesn't make a difference tho. You def. don't need a 22 to learn how to shoot, a 9mm will get going just as good. I plan on getting a 22 just for the simple reason of economics, cheaper rounds.

I went with a 9mm for my first gun and IMHO it was the best choice. I guess if you plan on purchasing another gun in 30 days it really doesn't make a difference tho. You def. don't need a 22 to learn how to shoot, a 9mm will get going just as good. I plan on getting a 22 just for the simple reason of economics, cheaper rounds.

I respect your opinion however I am begging to know why. Why is a 9mm just as good as a 22LR to learn how to shoot?

Personally, I believe that it is far easier to learn bad habits and mistakes on a larger caliber handgun than on a 22 caliber pistol... better yet, a 22 caliber revolver.

Unless you own a handgun, and until you do, you really dont know what you like, or dislike, what you can shoot better, what gun is best to the type of shooting you do and the type of shooter and gun owner that you are.

A 22 caliber pistol will be by far the cheapest way to throw your money out if you make a mistake. A Good 22lr semi auto will run you $250, such as a Smith Wesson 22A. A $100 worth of ammo is 5 bricks, so somewhere between 5,000 and 5,500 rounds of ammo to go practice with, and to really hone in what you want.

How many times do we see someone buy a brand X gun, only to realize they made a mistake by seeing how it fits in the hand and reading a review of how this gun is chosen by X agency, or X gun was in this movie.... ie, how many people bought Glocks because in a rap song they are reliable, or a Desert Eagle because Neo can shoot it one handed in The Matrix.

How many people buy a Sub Compact Glock 26, or a 40 Caliber Glock 23 as their first handgun? Till the first shot and realize the recoil is harsh, and the gun that felt good in their hand was not designed for pleasant shooting but rather to be a carry gun?

How many people bought a Ruger LCR or an LCP because it is small and cute, only to shoot it to have their hand fall off from the recoil? They dont realize that their gun was designed as a backup gun and was not designed to be fired as a target gun.

Even if you waste $350 on a 22LR gun and 10 bricks of ammo, better do that and have a gun you can sell for $200 then to spend $350 worth of 9mm ammo and not be happy with your choice.

How many times do we see someone buy a brand X gun, only to realize they made a mistake by seeing how it fits in the hand and reading a review of how this gun is chosen by X agency, or X gun was in this movie.... ie, how many people bought Glocks because in a rap song they are reliable, or a Desert Eagle because Neo can shoot it one handed in The Matrix.

FYI that was Agent Smith and the others, not Neo. Neo used a Beretta 92FS :D

And yes - definitely try before you buy. I did and I couldn't be happier.

Personally, I see the 9mm as an in the middle kind of round. Obviously there will be differences with in the make and model you choose to go with, but it's got kick, not to much kick. Rounds aren't cheap, but there not expensive. It's not easy to shoot, but its not hard to shoot. I feel that when starting with a 9mm, you can go up or down with different calibers, and still feel comfortable shooting. I would suggest buying what you intend to use it for, and not what people tell you to buy. I plan on getting a 22 just for the reasons Maks has outlined, but a 9mm in hand makes me feel like a man.

Maybe i just wound up buying a very tame 9mm...

I guess the main point everyone in trying to say is to buy a gun you won't regret and end up selling, try finding a range that rents and try them out, its probably easier to find a caliber you like and difficult to find a pistol in that caliber that suits you.

Honestly, i think it might be a good idea to learn how to shoot on both. You can use the 9mm to find where your weaknesses might be and use the 22 to correct those weaknesses. I know consistency is key to learning, but shooting in both calibers might give you insight to things one or the other might not offer.

I can be found at SS if you want to try something.

I have a Pro Sereis 60 if you want to try a nice compact 357 as well as the bigger brother 686 so you can compare the two. How about a 617 in 22LR for a second revolver? It has the same weight and feel as the 686 so you can practice cheap.

I would choose the Ruger MK3. It is one of the best .22;r guns I have ever seen. At first I didn't get it but after I shot it, I am a huge fan.

Shoot it and then decide where to go. Spend some time meeting up with member and shoot what they have. You will get an idea of what you like. baby steps is best.

• Like 1

I would choose the Ruger MK3. It is one of the best .22;r guns I have ever seen. At first I didn't get it but after I shot it, I am a huge fan.

Shoot it and then decide where to go. Spend some time meeting up with member and shoot what they have. You will get an idea of what you like. baby steps is best.

+1.. haha.. now they only need to come out with a 325 round magazine for it and it would be the most awesomeness 22 ever.