Malsua

Snow Boots

I'm looking to get a new pair of snow boots. I want something that gets good traction, is comfortable and is warm. I'd prefer something that doesn't take 15 minutes to lace up.

I want reasonable quality, under $150 if I can help it.

Suppose you knew the story below was about to take place. You had a precognitive dream and you were the main character. You have the opportunity ahead of time to buy any pair of boots he could.

Where would you get them and what would you get? He's already got a good hiking, expedition boot, but on super cold days, needs something extra. These are not to be full time boots. Only for big snow or big cold.

----------

Boom + 4years

1 am. Bob wakes me for my watch. Not sure what I’m watching for. I’m stiff, it’s cold and the date should be December 21, 2016. I don’t keep track of time or days any longer. My eco drive wristwatch made it though the EMP but I traded it for a couple cans of creamed corn and 20 .22 rimfire rounds last year in February. I could have gotten more but I was really hungry.

I shoulder my shotgun and head out to the house we use as an outpost closest to the road.

Light snow drifts down and it’s cold here. There’s a half moon out, and in the silvery light I can just make out the old van that we use for an outer gate.

Nothing is moving it’s just too cold. Maybe no one will notice if I doze off…

6 am. False dawn seems to be moving in. The sun won’t be up for another hour, so it has to be a false dawn, either that or the stupid wind up clock stopped again. No, the clock is working. I hate these nights. It reminds me of all that I’m missing. We’re so alone here.

There was a guy who stumbled in from about 100 miles south a month or so ago. No word ever comes from that way. Some how he managed to stay alive in a super hot zone for almost 4 years only to get here and croak after a week.

He was so hot when he came in we forced him to strip naked in 30 degree weather. We used to get those all the time. Not so much any more. The first two years really weeded them out.

8 am. Folks are up and moving around. I think we’re going to hit a neighborhood over the next mountain today. Most of those people were evacuated into a Fema camp. It was tempting as they were offering food and water. Every damn one of them that went died of radiation sickness. I refused to go and hid when they came to my house. Everyone here did the same. Everyone who left is dead.

I hope we don’t find any more rotters. The smell is mostly gone when we find them now but in the first year it was pretty bad. I can’t forget the image of the corpse of a woman, mouth agape like she’s laughing at me while I loot her kitchen. Many of these folks were caught in the traffic jams right after the bombs fell and managed to get home only to die in a week or two. I know now why she was laughing. The joke was on me.

9am: Captain Havel rang the bell so we all shuffled over to the command post. It was a good turn out. 15 people are going today. I always go. I get an extra bit here and there and give it to my chick when she’s not feeling up to it. Many people get the trots constantly and that cuts down on how much we can haul back. I’ve been really strict about boiling water, washing and cooking the food really well and those on my team are rarely sick. I hope we can score some coffee and booze today. It’s been a few weeks.

Those poor bastards that couldn’t be bothered to be careful are dead. I told ‘em but no one wanted to listen to me. Now they listen.

Noon: Taking a break from the walk. After the first 8 miles or so we’re past our normal areas and we have to be real careful. There are no marked paths here. Fallout is a weird thing. You can be standing in a clear spot, move 25 feet left and be getting 5 rads from radioactive mud. I was adamant that we had to map out our local surroundings. We got it pretty light in this area but there are still hot pockets to avoid. In the spring we go out and remark all the safe trails. We also have a few obvious trails that tempt you into town but really take you through the hottest spots in the area. After getting our supplies raided a few times and remarks that they would keep coming back monthly for a “donation” we cleared some paths for those guys, just like we promised. They don’t come any longer.

I’ve heard word there are some towns out west that are completely clean, no radiation at all. Early on those places filled up quick and emptied out just as quick when that many people got together and passed around Naz. Everyone here got Naz but we just got the sores that went away after a few weeks. Those poor bastards that get it bad turn to jelly inside and outside. We haven’t seen that since the first year. Everyone I have ever known got full Naz and died. I think if we ever get any children that live past their first birthday they’ll be somewhat immune to it.

Patient Zero was a goat herder named Nazeer. He was a walking talking carrier, having the disease for months and no obvious symptoms. After it had been tracked back to him, he was examined at length there were scientists who claimed that one gene most middle easterners have provided full immunity from Naz. Naz was widespread a week and mutated. Full immunity turned into almost full lethality over night. Folks in former first world nations fared better than most but it was only through organization and quarantine. I think the overall rate was around 85% that die within one week. A small percentage turn into walkers. These poor bastards get most of their higher brain rotted away so they turn feral. Their sores never stop running and blotches of skin get necrotic. A brain shot ends their story pretty quick.

The Epidemic was in full swing when the bombs fell. We still don't know who pushed the button...probably someone who saw their family turn to mush in front of them figured to just put us all out of our misery.

I pause for a moment and look out over the silent landscape and I feel the hard object in my pocket. I've been saving this can of tuna for this trip. I don’t know how much longer these canned things can stay good. We’re growing stuff now and we’ll probably slaughter a cow for the Christmas feast but without these things from the past I’m afraid we’re all going to starve.

4pm. We’ve hit a few houses and I didn’t get much but I found some Levis in my size. It took the end of the world for me to hit my target weight. There’s some irony in that.

I wouldn’t even recognize who I used to be. That person is from a whole different world.

I see a fire started a couple blocks over. Someone must have found some rotters. We don’t stick around those places. If you mess with dead things you end up dead now. There is life in fire, it warms and purifies. I may go over and get warmed up after it gets really going. I hope they got the houses next to it first. One kid burned down a whole neighborhood by accident in the first year. Who knows what we lost in those places.

It’ll be dark soon and I think I’ve spotted where we’re going to stay tonight. There’s a two story house that commands a view around it pretty good and it looks fairly intact. Captain Havel sees me and I point. He gives me thumbs up and they head over to the big house. We don’t expect to find anything moving. We never do any more.

This town has been picked over but not completely. It looks like we’ve scored some things. If nothing else there’s always bedding. I had found an old phonebook that indicates there’s a storage facility on the other side of town. With any luck it’s still mostly intact, that’s really why we came. We may spend a few days going through it, but for now I’m headed over to the fire to warm my bones then hole up for the night.

It’s just another day in paradise.

Sorel Intrepid Explorers - I love Sorel boots.

These are rated to go down to -100.

http://www.sorel.com/INTREPID-EXPLORER%E2%84%A2--100-%7C-010-%7C-7/803298416283,default,pd.html#

+1 on Sorel. I believe they are French Canadian. Their motto is "Warm & Dry" (but in French of course). I have their duck boots and they are excellent.

Take a look at Muck boots http://www.muckboots.com/. A couple of years ago my daughter spent 2 weeks in Antarctica on a scientific expedition. The temps ranged from -40 to 35 degrees. The people that run the scientific expedition made recommendations on proper clothing. For footwear they recommended the Artic collection from Muck boots they are warm, waterproof and no laces to deal with.