vladtepes

Magazine Rig..

I have a OSOE Micro Rig and a TT Single Peice MAV. They both work.

OSOE is the tits as far as cool guy gear goes. I also have a Eagle Plate carrier for work that has held up nicely.

If anyone wants to see any of this stuff let me know and i'll snap some pics.

I would like to see it.. any additional ideas are always useful..

Is that you in the pic?

I ask because I'm curious how easy it is to get to your pistol (I think it's a pistol) on your left side? It looks like it's mounted really high up compared to your average belt holster.

That aside, for the price that's a nice setup... :icon_e_biggrin:

It is a bit high, but for someone with short arms and a smaller/stocky build it is not an issue at all. Might be an issue for taller people though. It's mounted at that height to remain out of the way for squatting, kneeling, and sitting position shooting with a rifle.

AWESOME thanks for the pics.. I like the last setup a lot!

what color is that eagle plate carrier considered?

I believe Eagle Indus. calls it 'Coyote'

ETA: I vouch for Eagle products myself. Good stitching, and I've seen/heard their stuff being used downrange. If you dig Eagle chest rigs/carriers, I recommend checking out SKD Tactical as they carry a lot of their products-- and have a few special made collaborations with Eagle only sold by SKD: http://www.skdtac.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

ETA: I vouch for Eagle products myself. Good stitching, and I've seen/heard their stuff being used downrange. If you dig Eagle chest rigs/carriers, I recommend checking out SKD Tactical as they carry a lot of their products-- and have a few special made collaborations with Eagle only sold by SKD: http://www.skdtac.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

Good call on SKD. I almost bought one of these: http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Chest_Rig_SKD_All_Molle_Version_p/eag.569.htm but decided on the OSOE MWR Light instead cuz I wanted something a little smaller and with an H harness. Regardless, the Eagle/SKD rigs are a great bang for the buck.

Either way, I just can't get chest rigs to work for me... dunno how you guys manage to get the mags out of the pouches with everything mounted so high up on the chest.

If I remember I'll take a picture of my ATS War Belt tonight just to show a different option.

I agree with you, Pete. Even with practice, its always going to be quicker to reload from the belt. But that's also the reason why belts are considered first line, and chest rigs/carriers are considered second line.

I agree with you, Pete. Even with practice, its always going to be quicker to reload from the belt. But that's also the reason why belts are considered first line, and chest rigs/carriers are considered second line.

+1... That was my reply till I read down and saw you already added it. It's why (at present) I do not have a chest rig setup, just a "war belt". I can't (easily) justify why I would need more then what I can carry on my belt.

The pouches are much more secure than another method I never loose mags during active movement.

The speed difference is of no difference to me

Because that should be done from cover. My gear isn't for competitions.

I will take a video and show you how I reload with pouches so high on the chest. It's easy when you reload in your "workspace" and are accustom to reloading in this fashion. Spee

• Like 1

The pouches are much more secure than another method I never loose mags during active movement.

The speed difference is of no difference to me

Because that should be done from cover. My gear isn't for competitions.

I will take a video and show you how I reload with pouches so high on the chest. It's easy when you reload in your "workspace" and are accustom to reloading in this fashion. Spee

Exactly, securing the load and remaining able to freely move and bend is far more preferable than an extra half second to reload. Not to mention, if you're crouched/laying/bent behind something your body is squinched together anyway which makes placement a bit irrelevant.

My only perceived downside to your setup would be color, I prefer OD, multicam or even black for use around here, however I have no idea where the intended location you use your rig is so I cannot use the color as a critique.

I don't think there's anything wrong from drawing from the chest-line (its where I prefer to draw myself because I only reload from cover myself). I think though, in an evolving scenario, speed is as important.

Now, will any of us ever be in that situation? No, probably not. Take the scenario most likely to be involved in though, an HD situation... if I had a belt, would I take the time to slap it on? Maybe, if I trained that way. It has the added benefit of being relatively easy to put on, while having less "moving parts" then a chest rig (and by that I mean straps, pouches, etc... though, a person should probably tie up their loose straps :icon_razz:).

Then the argument is if its quicker. Well, I don't know by experience personally as I'm trained to reload from the chest regardless. However, as the trend is currently, competition techniques are creeping into tactical applications. And there's a reason why in competition, guys reload from the belt. So, yes, I do believe there is an added benefit from speed. Am I saying a person will unload 30-45 rounds (note 2-3 magazines here in NJ) into a criminal that is threatening your life? No, gosh, I hope not. But as Murphy's Law states, sh-ts going to go inevitably wrong in a bad situation. The first mag has a cracked lip because you failed to notice it prior, and isn't feeding properly. So, you toss it, and grab for a second mag... in that split second saved, who knows? (The same applies to being in an actual firefight.)

As for color, I think its good to be diverse. I think a lot of people fail to realize what it means to camouflaged in an applied sense. It doesn't mean to be completely invisible/blended in (though I suppose it helps). It means to break up the shape of anything so it doesn't seem out of place (a means of manipulating what a person's brain perceives is normal, and not literally a person's eyes). This can be accomplished by purely blending in with the surroundings, but also by mixing ODs with FDE, maybe some brown or foliage too (black is rarely used as nothing is naturally black... reason why its not in any of the new uniform colors. Though, in an urban environment, it could have its uses). Its the same reason why a person shouldn't necessarily be in all one color too, ha.

Exactly, securing the load and remaining able to freely move and bend is far more preferable than an extra half second to reload. Not to mention, if you're crouched/laying/bent behind something your body is squinched together anyway which makes placement a bit irrelevant.

It's funny how all the things you listed as what you see as the benefits of a chest rig are all the things I find don't work well for me when wearing a chest rig and why I went the "battle/war" belt route. I feel much more restricted in a chest rig. It's not even a speed thing for me... I feel like I'm contorting my arms/hands trying to get to the mag in a chest rig.

Full disclosure: I've only played with the chest rig at home and gave up after a while so my point of reference is limited.

It's funny how all the things you listed as what you see as the benefits of a chest rig are all the things I find don't work well for me when wearing a chest rig and why I went the "battle/war" belt route. I feel much more restricted in a chest rig. It's not even a speed thing for me... I feel like I'm contorting my arms/hands trying to get to the mag in a chest rig.

Full disclosure: I've only played with the chest rig at home and gave up after a while so my point of reference is limited.

It all depends on body shape and personal preference really. That's the beauty of MOLLE and all the different platforms is that you can pretty put whatever you want wherever you want it. What works for one may not work for someone else.

Don't feel like bugging the wife to take pictures of me all ninja'ed up, so this will have to do.

ATS War Belt with ATS insert belt, ATS shorty mag pouches, Eagle PB pistol pouch, G-code holster, Maxped dump pouch (rolled up):

DSC_2767a.jpg

DSC_2769a.jpg

DSC_2770a.jpg

Some of you may be wondering why the mag pouches are set up like that. I'm cross eye dominant, so I shoot the AR left handed, but handgun right handed.

For reference, this is the OSOE MWR Light chest rig set up with FastMag pouches:

DSC_2772a.jpg

It's a good chest rig, I just can't seem to make it work for me.

• Like 1

Nice, thanks for sharing. You could have been like every other teenage girl and taken self-pictures using the bathroom mirror with the flash messing with 40% of the shot. I would've gotten a kick out of it at least :icon_e_biggrin:

But seriously, I think maybe you don't like chest rigs is because you're running Fast Mags on them? I know the motion to use those things is a bit erratic. I have seen them used on chest rigs, but usually off on the side, or, if on the front of the body, upside down.

The fastmags are just left on from when I was testing it out like that. They work better upside down on the chest rig, but since I don't use it, I never bothered to change the last setup I tried out.

ETA: and no bathroom mirror shots.. You'll just stare at my boobies :p

I had a mwr-l and sold it. It just didn't work for me, too long if that makes sense.

It does make sense - it doesn't show in the picture, but there's so much extra webbing on the straps that i had to roll it up and cinch it in place with tape. Maybe the problem I'm having is specifically with the MWR-L and not chest rigs in general... it LOOKS like a lot of other chest rigs I've seen, so I just assumed I'd have the same issues with all chest rigs.

No that's common with extra webbing. You are supposed to tape up the excess. It's designed to be able to be used over top of armor, thus longer straps. The actual left/right dimension was to long for me for some reason. That's why I went with the micro rig. Much happier with that.

I run: http://www.skdtac.co...D_p/eag.567.htm (in OD), you saw it briefly last time, Pete.

I've only added an IFAK on the right side, with a knife and Gerber on the other. If I ever get around to it, I want to add a GP (general pouch) on the left hand side because the admin pouch is way too small (it sits between the body and rig... big enough for a few maps, pens, but not for compasses or extra lights/batteries).

Regarding the rig though, I like how it can sit high or low. I run it in the middle because if its too high, the IFAK gets in the way, and then it drags around and becomes uneven (a big soup sandwich). The shoulder straps run in an X, and it would be nice if Eagle made a part for the back (like TT or Esstac) big enough to place a MOLLE pack or hydration carrier. Because of the X configuration, I don't have to utilize that annoying back strap-- and it takes me a second to throw it on. But because its an X strap, probably be best to run a collared shirt-- otherwise its chafe city. The straps themselves though are comfortable, and don't really get in the way (all the buckles are in the back, so, nothing really messes with stock placement).

I did put foam in the actual pouches so my 15/20 mags sit a bit higher, but have no issues with them falling out. I do find it a bit awkward to reach across my body though to grab magazines, but that's expected. I'll try to put up a picture later (you all know how I am with pictures...)

A single mag is loose, true. But unless I'm doing combat rolls, repeatedly, because they seat at such an angle, the pockets are deep enough, and each pouch has a bungee-type retention (that makes it difficult enough to fit two mags), so I've never had much issue with them.

Remember that I don't use that back strap, so, while the movement of the rig is limited when traveling horizontally, if I am in an awkward position, the top of the rig tends to bow in-wards, while the bottom is affected by gravity (I know its weird to explain-- but essentially the rig pivots on my body). Maybe if I were to fall sideways (where the rig wouldn't be able to pivot as much, there might be some issues there (if I fell hard enough).

I do want to maybe try out some velcro inside and on my mags or wrap rubber bands around the mags though to see how well it would retain. I'm thinking the rubber bands could be a quick/cheap fix, and not wear down as quickly as velcro (I never cared much for looks).

I'll save you the trouble!

The part I circled in red is the bungee type stuff (you're right, SKD fails to mention it in their description of the product, ha). It wraps around every pouch, with the two outer pouches having a retention strap as well (demonstrated in the picture).

retention.jpg

Picture courtesy of SKD Tac, with my obnoxious circling.