tony357

black widow spider.

found it on a boat we hauled out today, picked it up with a stick and put it in a small tree in the woods next to the marina..was not sure it was a black widow until i just looked it up.. :icon_e_surprised:

spider002.jpg

and another pic.. a little fuzzy small branch kept getting in frame..

spider004.jpg

They're cool spiders. We had one or two living in old pile of wood in the back yard. The wood has been moved or burnt as to not create an inviting location for them. Brown recluse are also common in NJ and are deadlier.

They're cool spiders. We had one or two living in old pile of wood in the back yard. The wood has been moved or burnt as to not create an inviting location for them. Brown recluse are also common in NJ and are deadlier.

A buddy got a Brown Recluse bite. By the time the venom stopped burrowing he could stick his finger in his thigh up to the hand.

Yikes! I hate spiders. I haven't experienced a Black Widow in person, but plenty of Brown Recluses down in South Carolina (military fort, so, of course). I saw, in passing, what happened to a poor guy's fleshy part of the thigh from one of those bites.

We found a very large one in the garden last year, first one I've seen in a long time.

This is the 1st one i have seen in our area...sounds like we might start seeing this species more often.. did some reading up they are not agressive..

I've found two of 'em in my shop over the years. It's been a while, though. That's okay with me. I know they're not real common in this area but I know two people who got bitten by a brown recluse. The one guy was in bad shape for a while. They must be nasty creatures.

And yes...the stinkbugs can go away too.

An old employee of mine was bit by a recluse about 2 inches below his butt cheek. His wife wouldn't clean it out after the doctor cut out the dead tissue so I was volunteered. Amazing how much tissue damage occured. I was able to stuff in about 3 or 4 feet of sterile packing.