emptyshell

So here's an ammo question...legal home protection...

The dealer said "it's not legal in NJ unless the criminal is firing HP bullets"...Now, I'm not exactly sure this is correct...nor am I qualified in the art of determining whether a gun has HP ammo loaded...is anyone into the art of mind reading?

I'm going to say some of the things that already have been said but in a different way.

1. No where will you find something that says its okay to use HP ammo for home defense so don't bother to look.

2. It is legal to possess HP ammo in your home.

3. Your HD gun is legal and loaded with HP ammo.

4. A situation occurs when the use of deadly force is justified in your home and use your gun loaded with HP ammo, the shooting is 100% okay, justified etc. you will hear nothing about your HP ammo

5. Use your gun loaded with HP ammo when it isn't justified you will be charged with using the gun and using HPs.

This sounds like a confusion over escalation of force. That a hollow point bullet would be a escalation of force over a fmj.

I don't believe this has any legal basis so long as the shooting is justified as said before.

Now questionable home defense shooting gets the home owner dragged through the courts thanks to an over zealous DA, I'd bet he will mention over and over that hollow points were used by the defendant and how deadly and evil they are to use. Double for civil suits.

Half of the uniformed public thinks jacketed handgun bullets are armour piercing and therefore jacketed hollow points are the worst of both worlds.

Yeah that was my point. Home defense, regular HP ammo is fine. If you've got a CCW and are out and about and carrying, don't carry HP ammo.

Which is backwards, in my opinion. If I were going to use HP ANYWHERE, it would likely be in public....where there is a greater chance of an innocent bystander being behind the person I am defending myself from.