Sign in to follow this  
Regulator72

Garand Questions

Looking to add a Garand to the collection... all the recent Garand posts are making it hard not too... :icon_e_biggrin: Anyway, I see the CMP has both Springfield and Winchester, the Winny being $200 more.. Both field grade, but can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 and why the price difference?

i got a service grade sprinfield recently. i will post pictures tonight if i get time (been meaning to) it is near perfect. The winnie will be worth more becuase it is a gauranteed ww2 serial number. depends on what you want...I am working on saving for a winnie and an hra myself because they will go and once gone, they are gone. I cannot see the value of ANY garand dropping if it is nice

Winchesters are rare compared to Springfield, so that's the price difference.

And, as Intercooler mentioned, it's guaranteed to be WWII vintage. But, as he also mentioned, the current Service Grade is near perfect.

You mentioned adding to the "collection" so if you're collecting, it might be worth the extra. If you're getting one to shoot, I wouldn't pay the extra. If shooting is your goal, though, I WOULD shell out the extra $100 for a Service Grade. It'll be much nicer looking and less worn out. IMO, the difference between "luck of the draw" Field and Sevice condition is MUCH more than $100 price differenc. (By "luck of the draw" I mean you could be sent a Field grade that looks like it's been dragged behind a truck, whereas if you went to the store it's possible to pick out a Field Grade that's just as nice as a Service Grade, but even the worst luck-of-the-draw SG would still be pretty nice).

From my own experience of being at the CMP store I will say the quality of the Winchester's are MUCH lower than that of the Springfield's and the HRA's. When I went I had my heart set on a Springfield, there was no way I was coming home with anything different. I ended up coming home with an HRA. The HRA's are near perfect for a service grade.

IMO because I want a shooter, I'd rather spend less money and get the HRA or Springfield over the Winchester.

Thanks Guys, I am looking to shoot it, not often, but also not looking to simply buy it and store it.. I'm thinking a few times a year perhaps.. My Mosin and Swiss K31 are in pretty good condition, but i do shoot them.. i figure for the $100 bucks the mosin cost i can shoot it until it falls apart and get another ;)

Correct, if you go to the cmp club page it lists every single club that is associated with the cmp.

Big ones are if you belong to the American Legion or the ANJRPC aka Cherry Ridge.

Also you can join the CMP club for 25 bucks a year as well that will meet the requirements.

Also don't forget you need some form of hands on training. Let list what is acceptable but the easiest one to get which is also free is the hunting safety program offered by this craphole of a state.

And of course your birth certificate and or your passport.

From my own experience of being at the CMP store I will say the quality of the Winchester's are MUCH lower than that of the Springfield's and the HRA's. When I went I had my heart set on a Springfield, there was no way I was coming home with anything different. I ended up coming home with an HRA. The HRA's are near perfect for a service grade.

IMO because I want a shooter, I'd rather spend less money and get the HRA or Springfield over the Winchester.

I'm guessing you mean the WRA field grades? I ordered a WRA Service grade and I somewhat expect it to be worse than my SA service but i'm hoping not too bad. I got this SA back in late 06 so its a totally different batch.