Radek

Springfield 1903

Bought a Springfield 1903 30-06 from a LEO while I was at TJ's last time. He wanted to trade for a Ruger LCP I think ...

Unfortunately, he dumped the original stock (a shame) and put on a sports stock:icon_e_confused:

I will post pics soon and will let you guess the value! (TJ's, shane45 and axeman are not allowed since they know the price!)

• Like 1

heads up, it sounds like you may have a wall hanger there. Early 1903's with a serial number before 800,000 were not heat treated correctly and considered unsafe to shoot. Here is more info for you. My link

Thanks for the heads up.

Uh oh! I don't want a wall hanger, I bought it to shoot it ... can this be heat treated correctly now and made shootable? No wonder he sold it:angry:

i say use military ammo or start reloading light loads and shoot away you have to figure they where in service.

and yes the value is lower on them

i have a 1903 thats sporterized and safe to shoot maybe we can trade as long as the medal is untouched

mine has a front iron site and a rear peep site and its drilled and tapped for a scope mount

i say use military ammo or start reloading light loads and shoot away you have to figure they where in service.

and yes the value is lower on them

i have a 1903 thats sporterized and safe to shoot maybe we can trade as long as the medal is untouched

mine has a front iron site and a rear peep site and its drilled and tapped for a scope mount

What model and year is your 1903? When you say safe to shoot, you mean safe to shoot commercial ammo? If yes, then the serial # is above 800,000? If so, sure we could trade.

(I want to call up the guy and see if he will take it back, maybe he was shooting it without knowing! ... I should have checked this before buying:facepalm:)

Since the fun / mystery is gone ... the secret is out. I paid 250 for it and I thought I was getting a shooter!

Mine has a front iron sight and a rear peep site that is attached to the side of receiver and comes over the top (see pics).

Front sight says Redfield. Just behind the front sight on the barrel top is a marking "A" and "V", then 12 - 18 below it (date code?). There is also a mark there that looks like fire ... top portion of Springfield logo? Below is a odd shaped circle (like a flower pot!) Don't see markings on the bolt, but I haven't dismantled it to carefully look.

Here are some pics. Full size here.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

Radek:

Sorry, it seems yours meets all the criteria - low serial number (5-digits no less) and straight bolt. The wood on that rifle looks spectacular, so if Ted is willing to swap with you, you'll have a really nice sporterized .30-06.

Kind of makes you wonder what the gunsmith that did the conversion was thinking. It's not like the "brittle" receivers is new information - it's been known since WWII.

Nice rifle, and apparently your inference is that you got it for a song. Hope that it all works out in the end. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob