CageFighter

why is it sooo difficult to get any help from a gun store?

Like the title says.....WHY can't a newbie get any questions answered, advise or have someone EXPLAIN differences between pistols in north NJ. ex: Glock, Sig, HK, etc. (and thats BEFORE I get into revolvers). So far, the ONLY help I got was from Meltzers & SureShot b4 I got my PP. Unfortunately, its tough for me to get there because of my work schedule but Im gonna try again. For example, today I was even told that the Glock23 & the Sig229 was the same gun, just different manufacturers. -WTF! Can someone explain this to me? Its so damn frustrating thst the only help I get is from this forum, thanx guys!

a 229 and a Glock 23 are two different guns completely and two different manual of arms.

the glock 23 is a striker fire action (double action) and the sig 229 can be double action, dak or double single. The glock 23 isn't all metal as the 229 is. Meet up at shore shot one day and we can go through a lot of the different guns, actions and calibers.

Guest HuntingPaper

You need to buy from TJ Sporting Arms. Maybe not close to you but Tony is the best! Send him a message thru the forum.

The more you are around firearms, the more you would get frustrated if someone just asked a question like whats the difference between this and that.

If someone was having a bad day, easy to get irritated, its like asking what is the difference between a honda and a bmw, etc.

The simple answer is, they are all different, and to really get them down, it is a 4 hour convo. Many stores, before you have an FID and PP's, will not really spend the time to explain it, especially since I am sure they have numerous people who would not even qualify for a permit to come to touch a glock.

Your best bet is to make friends on the forum and come out to an event, volunteer to pay for ammo, and start shooting.

We can talk at depth about the differences in designs between glocks and sigs, and hk's, cz's, smith wessons, rugers, taurus,etc... but all of that comes with time and time behind the trigger.

The beauty is... the more you shoot, the more likely you will own them all before long.

I will be calling Tony tomorrow, hopefully he can help. :icon_mrgreen:

Tony is the man bro, can't go wrong with him. And like the others said, come to a meetup. You'll get to shoot a wide array of firearms.

come to the bullet hole meet if youre local. also, ive always found meltzers to be the nicest, cleanest, friendliest store around. been going there for well over 20 years. also, talk to ed langhe at ramsey outdoor. i think hes at the one in ramsey, not paramus. hes been a personal friend of my uncles for 30yrs, and his son is the famed dave langhe.

The more you are around firearms, the more you would get frustrated if someone just asked a question like whats the difference between this and that.

If someone was having a bad day, easy to get irritated, its like asking what is the difference between a honda and a bmw, etc.

If someone gets frustrated then they have no place working there. The bottom line is that it is their job. As a consumer I don't care if you explained the difference between a Glock and an XD a million times. When someone is there asking questions you are there to service the consumer. It might be your millionth time but its prob the guys first time.

If they are having a bad day they need to suck it up and get it together. Plenty of people have bad days but its no excuse to give inferior service.

Easy to get irritated? Then you have no business working in retail.

So what if someone doesnt have a PP or FID card yet. In a few months they may have an FID card and 6 permits. They wont be coming back to your store after they get bad service. I know I won't. I have worked plenty of retail and I have no tolerance for bad customer service. I have had bad days and yet I have had to put my big boy pants on, a smile on my face and put on a show for people. It sucks yeah, but it's my job. If I didn't like doing it I had the option to quit. If I got complained about for doing a bad job I would/should have been fired. This should hold true for anyone who works at a firearms shop/store.

• Like 2

If someone gets frustrated then they have no place working there. The bottom line is that it is their job. As a consumer I don't care if you explained the difference between a Glock and an XD a million times. When someone is there asking questions you are there to service the consumer. It might be your millionth time but its prob the guys first time.

If they are having a bad day they need to suck it up and get it together. Plenty of people have bad days but its no excuse to give inferior service.

Easy to get irritated? Then you have no business working in retail.

So what if someone doesnt have a PP or FID card yet. In a few months they may have an FID card and 6 permits. They wont be coming back to your store after they get bad service. I know I won't. I have worked plenty of retail and I have no tolerance for bad customer service. I have had bad days and yet I have had to put my big boy pants on, a smile on my face and put on a show for people. It sucks yeah, but it's my job. If I didn't like doing it I had the option to quit. If I got complained about for doing a bad job I would/should have been fired. This should hold true for anyone who works at a firearms shop/store.

+1

There is no excuse for a sales person to be that way. I don't care if it's the 1,000,000th time that day for the same question. It is a fresh face in front of you and you need to start fresh to help them buy something.If I don't get the kind of service I expect I vote with my feet. That's why I will never go to a few stores around here. I will drive farther and spend more time to go where I am treated well. I have gone to a store, with permit to purchase and cash in my pocket, and walked out after 5 minutes without the gun they had that I had wanted. Their loss, not mine.

• Like 3

We are talking here like it is your god given right to buy stuff at a particular store... if someone is giving me attitude, I would walk away, however if an employee gets frustrated for a moment, I am not going to hold it against the store or that employee.

I have spent plenty of times both working with retail public (since 16 years old), and spent enough time at the gun stores, and alot more time with the gun store owners.

Buying a firearm, at least in NJ, is not like going to buy a PS3 and asking the best buy kid about a PS3 or Xbox 360. You have plenty of people walking to gun stores to hold a glock, because they saw it in a gangster rap video. Now lets say you want to go test drive a ferrari for shits and giigles. You have absolutely no intention of buying it, nor the means to keep it beyond a month.... how much trouble would it be?

A typical gun store will have 3 to 4 employees, and they will work one on one with the customers, as they obviously are not going to hand a gun to someone and go away to help the next customer. The numerous times I was at places like Cheyenne Mountain, where you have 10 people waiting, with 4 staff, half doing nics/paperwork, and someone wanting to handle every single gun, and then not know they need an FID/pistol permits, and oh yeah... they have a record.... meanwhile, all I wanted to do is buy a box of ammo or a cheap milsurplus.

The reason why PK90, Vinny and Tony have such great reputations for quality service is because they are not dealing with the common street garbage walking into the store to buy a Glock 45 with some ghetto sights. Their business comes from established gun owners, forum members, and repeat customers. They do not have walk in customers.

Ask any one of the dealers, and they will tell you the same thing... there are plenty of people with no intention but wasting time. I see emails where the dealers tell the people to contact them once again after they receive their paperwork. As a business owner myself, I will tell you I choose who to work with, and so do alot of others who are relationship based.

+1

I have gone to a store, with permit to purchase and cash in my pocket, and walked out after 5 minutes without the gun they had that I had wanted. Their loss, not mine.

this is where im at. i have a big budget, but seems nobody wants a piece of the pie up here. i also need eye/ear protection, gun care accessories, targets, bullets, etc.

this is where im at. i have a big budget, but seems nobody wants a piece of the pie up here. i also need eye/ear protection, gun care accessories, targets, bullets, etc.

If you really want someone to spend time with you and go over the guns, pick up the phone, call the owner and explain your situation. Have one of them spend an hour with you going over the various firearms. This way, they can plan accordingly.

However, if there is one or two employees at the store, having one of those employees wait on you, while there are 10 people in the store waiting is unfair to the other customers. The business owner then has to make a decision whether to help you, or the other 10 people.

Now while you might be happy, the other 10 pissed off people will come here and complain that they had to wait... dont believe me? Take a look at the Dicks Sporting goods thread... people complaining about holding on the phone.

If you really want someone to spend time with you and go over the guns, pick up the phone, call the owner and explain your situation. Have one of them spend an hour with you going over the various firearms. This way, they can plan accordingly.

However, if there is one or two employees at the store, having one of those employees wait on you, while there are 10 people in the store waiting is unfair to the other customers. The business owner then has to make a decision whether to help you, or the other 10 people.

Now while you might be happy, the other 10 pissed off people will come here and complain that they had to wait... dont believe me? Take a look at the Dicks Sporting goods thread... people complaining about holding on the phone.

there were (2) people working in the store yday. i was MORE THAN PATIENT waiting for my turn and also had the saleswoman take care of the paying customers for the range. i was the one who told her to take care of the people who want to shoot 1st, and i waited w/out a problem. since i am new to all this, i didnt want to piss anyone off at a place i maybe shooting in the future.

sad part is, i have a boss who is looking for two handguns & a friend who is looking for another. that could be 6 pistols and who knows how many rifles.

there were (2) people working in the store yday. i was MORE THAN PATIENT waiting for my turn and also had the saleswoman take care of the paying customers for the range. i was the one who told her to take care of the people who want to shoot 1st, and i waited w/out a problem. since i am new to all this, i didnt want to piss anyone off at a place i maybe shooting in the future.

sad part is, i have a boss who is looking for two handguns & a friend who is looking for another. that could be 6 pistols and who knows how many rifles.

Here is some more food for thought, why not ask for advice here? The people on the forum, between us, we have more expert and knowledge than most gun stores can muster. Furthermore... depending on the sales person, either "Glocks are best", or Sigs, etc.... there is no best. it is about what you like most. If you want Sig advice, you contact CircleSQR, or Pizza Bob, if you want Glock advice, we have a few Glock armorers on here. If you want Hk advice, there are a few closet Kool Aid drinkers here too.... but going to a gun store, the best gun is the one that is in stock and whichever rep was there that day.

The reason why I love shopping through Tony (TJ), Vinny and Paul, is not about the gun knowledge, but because I get the gun that I want, at a very competitive price (not always the lowest), but most of all, when any of those 3 people tell you you will have your firearm..... you will have your firearm.

When you bought your last car, did you go in blindly to the dealership and trust everything the sales person said? For most people, by the time they research what they want, they know alot more than any sales person will. Why are guns any different?

• Like 1

When you bought your last car, did you go in blindly to the dealership and trust everything the sales person said? For most people, by the time they research what they want, they know alot more than any sales person will. Why are guns any different?

i'm a car guy, so dealers dont like me, -lol. (im hoping i can get this good w/ guns)

your other response is sooo true. i am getting around the forum and pay attention. i have been in email contact w/ vinny and briefly chatted w/ paul. i think he has a used P229 listed on his site.

i'm a car guy, so dealers dont like me, -lol. (im hoping i can get this good w/ guns)

your other response is sooo true. i am getting around the forum and pay attention. i have been in email contact w/ vinny and briefly chatted w/ paul. i think he has a used P229 listed on his site.

can't go wrong with either one of those guys, or TJ