CageFighter

why is it sooo difficult to get any help from a gun store?

I have had good experiences with the vendors on this forum, particularly Tony (TJ Sporting Arms) and PK90. I have also had good luck at Shore Shot Pistol Range in Lakewood. I went to Efinger's recently and, although I found the prices high, the service people were very pleasant and patient (I watched them handle some wannabe commando well). I would buy there if I could haggle them down a bit. Solomon' in Farmingdale is also worth visiting. I can guarantee they won't have what you want in stock, but I know they will order it and it will be a competitive price.

I have had negative experiences at Sayreville Sportsmen, Ray's Sporting Goods (no longer in business). From what I understand, Brick Armory is OK as long as the gun is actually in stock and can be picked up. I wouldn't use them if you need for them to order it.

My experience at efingers is usually less than stellar.

One when I turned 18 and got my FID I asked for COEs to transfer "my" guns from my dad to me (this is before I knew I could download and print them). They "ran out". Then when I picked up a case of shotgun shells to purchase (when it was cheap, $45/case) the guy magically found some and only then was willing to throw me a few.

Another time, also before I knew any better, I had the heat shield on my norinco ternch gun sliding foward from recoil. I brought it in for their gun "smith". The guy at the counter asked to see it first. He looked at it and asked if it was the chinese knockoff and I said yes. He then turned away in disgust and said "Our gunsmith will not work on this, it is of inferior quality". He refused to even let me ask the smith, and he didnt ask the smith either. To top it all off, the norinco trench guns are known for the better quality steel in them because the metallurgy in the late 1800s was not near where it is now. I went hope and found the problem and fixed it in 5 minutes with a piece of aluminum flashing. Dude could have made alot of money with that....

Also, when I bought my 700 I wanted my scope mounted the right way, not just thrown on and tightened down. I didnt want to dump $100 into the lapping bar, aligning bars, lapping paste, levels etc so I thought hey maybe efingers can do it. I call them up and ask. They say $35. Damn, good deal! Hey, how do you do it? "what do you mean how? I put the scope on the rifle, put loctite on all the screws and tighten it." I asked if they even used a torque wrench, or lapped and he said "whats that?"

I promptly thanked him for his time and bought the stuff myself.

I've never had a truly bad experience at a gun shop YET. I have seen some know-it-all attitudes at some places. For the most part whenever I have gone to buy a gun I will only go if they have it in stock to look at and if i'm ready to buy.

However though it's been awhile since I have even went to buy a gun. ( bills can really get in the way of buying things on the "I WANT IT LIST")

I have been to 2 store in NJ. Dicks in Mt Laurel was a pita. All I wanted was some ammo and I had to wait 20 min for someone to get back there and then he gave me attitude like I was a thug or something.

Arms-N-Ammo, PK90's shop was awesome. I had a Spikes lower shipped to him and we knocked out all the paperwork quickly and in short order. A few weeks later I had my upper shipped to him so he could pin my BattleComp on and cut off the bayo lug. He had it all done pretty much the day he got it. Again, I was in and out quickly. Never gave any 'superior attitude' and always asked if I needed help with something else, any ammo, etc.... Great guy to deal with and an awesome shop.

I bought some ammo today at dicks in freehold there was a really cool old guy there that helped me, people look at you weird like why are you carrying ammo but the staff was cool in my experience.

The shorter gentleman? He fancies himself a ball buster and is all too happy to tell you so. Tall on tales, short on actual information. He neglected to inform me that there was a 50% off the second box sale on Remington range ammo several weeks ago when I ran in for some 9mm and I only found out when I went to investigate some small sales signs on the ammo cages.

But by far my worst experience was at the Sayerville Sportsman which at the time was one town over from me. I visited right after receiving my permits with the intent of actually purchasing a basic 38 special for home protection.As soon as you walk in you have the vibe that this is not a friendly place, No greeting,no eye contact,no enthusiasm, no nothing.... OK I'll deal.

Pulled out my card and pistol permit and asked to see a S&W snub nose which was grudgingly handed over after intense scrutiny of my paperwork.I really liked it but was shocked at the asking price and then asked to see a Taurus snub nose, to which he replied Why do you want that piece of crap for? You mean the piece of crap YOU have in YOUR showcase?

Surprised but undeterred I told him I was in the market for a simple firearm for home defense for both myself and my wife. Big mistake. Does you wife have her permit? Not yet. Come back when she does.... and then he grabbed the guns and put them back in the showcase.

Apparently he was the owner and was all to happy to ramble on about how long he's been in business, and what hardships he has as a gun dealer in NJ.

All in all not a very positive experience with my first NJ gun dealer.

The shorter gentleman? He fancies himself a ball buster and is all too happy to tell you so. Tall on tales, short on actual information. He neglected to inform me that there was a 50% off the second box sale on Remington range ammo several weeks ago when I ran in for some 9mm and I only found out when I went to investigate some small sales signs on the ammo cages.

But by far my worst experience was at the Sayerville Sportsman which at the time was one town over from me. I visited right after receiving my permits with the intent of actually purchasing a basic 38 special for home protection.As soon as you walk in you have the vibe that this is not a friendly place, No greeting,no eye contact,no enthusiasm, no nothing.... OK I'll deal.

Pulled out my card and pistol permit and asked to see a S&W snub nose which was grudgingly handed over after intense scrutiny of my paperwork.I really liked it but was shocked at the asking price and then asked to see a Taurus snub nose, to which he replied Why do you want that piece of crap for? You mean the piece of crap YOU have in YOUR showcase?

Surprised but undeterred I told him I was in the market for a simple firearm for home defense for both myself and my wife. Big mistake. Does you wife have her permit? Not yet. Come back when she does.... and then he grabbed the guns and put them back in the showcase.

Apparently he was the owner and was all to happy to ramble on about how long he's been in business, and what hardships he has as a gun dealer in NJ.

All in all not a very positive experience with my first NJ gun dealer.

+1 on Sayreville Sportsman. Feels kind of like when I used to go to the Harley dealership in Edison on Route 1 back in the 90's when I wanted one but didn't have the funds. They didn't pay attention to you if you weren't in their cool kids club, were total douchebags when you finally did deal with them, but could get away with it because they had a product that people wanted. Now that this dealership moved to Woodbridge avenue, I have had nothing but good experiences with them. New ownership combined with new economic reality.

+1 on Sayreville Sportsman. Feels kind of like when I used to go to the Harley dealership in Edison on Route 1 back in the 90's when I wanted one but didn't have the funds. They didn't pay attention to you if you weren't in their cool kids club, were total douchebags when you finally did deal with them, but could get away with it because they had a product that people wanted. Now that this dealership moved to Woodbridge avenue, I have had nothing but good experiences with them. New ownership combined with new economic reality.

I know what you mean, but the thing is I went in there fully prepared and eager to purchase a firearm,ammo and what ever else I needed to maintain it.

I had waited a long time for my permits and did my research so I pretty much knew what I wanted,what to pay and the procedure pertaining to showing and handling a firearm. But after that experience coupled with some of what I've read on this and other forums only reinforced the fact that attempting to exercise my 2'nd amendment rights in this state was not going to be easy. He really took the wind out of my sails.

I know what you mean, but the thing is I went in there fully prepared and eager to purchase a firearm,ammo and what ever else I needed to maintain it.

I had waited a long time for my permits and did my research so I pretty much knew what I wanted,what to pay and the procedure pertaining to showing and handling a firearm. But after that experience coupled with some of what I've read on this and other forums only reinforced the fact that attempting to exercise my 2'nd amendment rights in this state was not going to be easy. He really took the wind out of my sails.

Don't let that experience turn you off. There are plenty of good guys out there that will make you happy to make return trips. For site sponsors, I have had great luck with TJ Sporting Arms and PK90, For local brick-and-mortar gun shops, I have always had good luck with Shore Shot in Lakewood.

Don't let that experience turn you off. There are plenty of good guys out there that will make you happy to make return trips. For site sponsors, I have had great luck with TJ Sporting Arms and PK90, For local brick-and-mortar gun shops, I have always had good luck with Shore Shot in Lakewood.

It was only a temporary set back, I then did some more homework, visited other gun stores, went shooting with a friend in Maine and finally settled on the types of guns I was comfortable with. I met Ira at Legend Firearms who was a great help and the gentlemen at Shore Shot and NJGF. So here I am.

I have had good experiences with the vendors on this forum, particularly Tony (TJ Sporting Arms) and PK90.

To quote my son..."no, it's not good. It's great!"

Just to stress what lunker Is saying, There's a reason you don't see any negative feedbacks with the two listed vendors above. :)

I concur!!