CageFighter

why is it sooo difficult to get any help from a gun store?

Alex, I'll make sure someone brings both those guns for you to shoot :icon_e_biggrin:

Here we go again, typical Tony.. here try this, now try that, "First one's free, now tell your friends" I'm tired of the "Tony is the best", TJ's is great, it's all BS... all he does is provide you with the product you need at a great price with awesome customer service... how dare you Tony!!! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: btw, do you have any O/U shotty's for sale? pm me..

back on topic, I agree with Maks here, read every post on this forum and you'll learn a TON, more importantly as has been said, meet with everyone at the range, it's a great time, and you get to touch, feel, shoot more guns that you could in a full day going to several stores...

I'm gonna try and make it tonight, but a newborn @ home is taking a bit of my "free" time lately..

You can learn about guns the same way you learned about cars, research. Im sure you didnt walk into a car dealership and ask them how car works, you did it by hanging out with friends, your father, car forums. This is the same thing. Google is GREAT. Search this forum. ASK this forum. There are plenty of people out there who can provide you with any amount of knowledge you need. Just going to have to read it.

I rarely trust anything someone who is selling me says about what they are trying to sell me;)

ALWAYS do your own research.

I agree with this to some extent. However, I think that it highly depends on whether the person is working on commission or not. This is why I refuse to step foot on a car lot ever again :icon_rolleyes:......I work at an hourly wage, and get paid the same if I talk to the same customer about a $200 push mower than if I sell five $4000 riding mowers. Doesnt make a difference to me, Im honest with my customers and I simply just give them information about what they are looking at. I get that same feeling when Im shopping at Cheyenne, they seem much more laid back.

Edit: I DO agree with doing your own research though.

Let me guess, you went to Bullet Hole and they treated you like garbage?

Do yourself a favor, take your money elsewhere. Like Maksim said, it's their business and they can act how they want. But it's your money and you can (and should) take it elsewhere. If half their customers walked out and spent their money at more friendly places, I bet you their attitude would change real quick because the bills aren't going to pay themselves.

"Every dollar you spend is a vote for the way you want the world to be"

• Like 1

prefer .40

If you are hellbent on .40 try a Beretta 96 or sig 226 if someone has one you can try. IMO(in my opinion) small & light polymer guns do not handle the recoil of .40S&W very well. Large caliber + small gun= pain. Shoot a snub nosed revolver for a perfect example of that. If you're new to shooting (I don't know if you already have experience) I'd suggest starting with a .22 pistol. It's a lot easier to learn proper grip, control, and trigger pull on something that doesn't kick like a mule. If you want something with more punch in a smaller size (you mentioned Sig 229 and Glock 23) might I suggest 9mm to start. A Glock 19 is the 9mm equivalent of the Glock 23. It is the same sized frame and has a standard capacity of 15 rounds which is the limit in NJ.

Just for what it's worth, you really should spend some time with a .40 before you settle on that caliber. It's a snappy recoil and frankly, just not nearly as much fun to shoot as 9mm or .45.

I agree. I have sold two pistols in 40. But that should surprise no one familiar with my buying habits.

Just for what it's worth, you really should spend some time with a .40 before you settle on that caliber. It's a snappy recoil and frankly, just not nearly as much fun to shoot as 9mm or .45.

thats what I did, i bought a G19. hopefully picking it up tonight. i was looking for a .40 & maybe a .45 for my next purchase. just not sure on what .45 to buy, who has something for me to shoot?

PS: Maks Glock .45GAP shoots real nice.

Gotta say...The guys at Meltzer's...real cool. Helpful, knowledgeable, answered questions, offered advice, gave options...all the while...never asking if I was purchasing, or pressured. Nice bunch...I was only there picking up some ammo and cleaning supplies.

Yup. Good guys. They're a little high on prices but I've only ever had a good experience there and I've purchased 2 handguns from them.

Hey Guys,

I like gun shops...no...I love gun shops...I get the same feeling walking into one that some get walking into a church...I've had friends who work in them, and made friends with some employees. One of my lodge Brothers and friend, owns a local store. Now with all that said, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, and with no insult intended...Maybe the guy was just a bonehead and that was the best answer he could give you...On the absolute basic surface, it roughly is; a mid sized semi automatic handgun available in roughly the same calibers...Yes, there is a big difference between how each operates, feels, ect...but, working in a gun shop does not make you a firearms expert, or even very knowledgeable by any stretch of the imagination...By way of example...

-There was the time I asked to see the Benelli M1 Super 90 and the clerk tried to hand me a single shot H&R...

-Or when I asked to see a GSG5 I was thinking about for my kid, and got a ten minute dissertation on how the MP5 is the ultimate combat weapon used exclusively by Navy SEALs...

-Or the time my wife and I were looking at handguns for her, and the store clerk stated in a very arrogant fashion, that without exception, the very best personal defense weapon we could buy for her would be a Ruger Mk II...The 9mm Sig we ended up buying her was a poor choice...

-Or the time I was told that even though I'm left handed, adding an ambidextrous safety to a 1911 was a bad idea as it would make it unreliable and I'd be better served with just learning to work with the standard lever...

-You really don't want to hear the story about the time I bought a bolt rifle through the mail, had it shipped from the seller to the store, and when I went in to pick it up, in uniform(not that it matters, but still...I wasn't dressed like a banger or anything), the clerk had a full on melt down when he went into the rifle case and there was no FFL in it...He started screaming and lecturing me about my violating federal law...maybe they could return the rifle to the seller, but it would be at my expense...I was gonna end up going to jail, and as a Cop, it wouldn't be good on me...I should have known better...He was gonna have to call the BATFE...He even brought the store FFL holder down to counsel me about involving them in an illegal action, because THE RIFLE WASN'T SHIPPED FROM AN FFL...They wasted almost an hour of my time, while I patiently tried to explain to them that it was completely legal for them to receive the weapon...I finally had to demand they call the BATFE, which they informed me was my funeral, and after fifteen minutes on the phone the agent had to admit I was right...Their final statement? I guess the laws must have changed recently...We didn't know you could do that...That was the closest thing I got to an apology...from an FFL holder and a clerk who had worked at the same location for probably three years...

Like I said, just like every profession, there is no guarantee, that the guy you're speaking to actually has the slightest clue what he's talking about...

Respectfully,

Harry

• Like 2

+1 for Metlzers, the guys are really nice. The higher prices are worth it imo, no where else in the area will you find the help they offer. There very strait forward and don't BS you. When i got my RRA from them last month, i had it transferred, normally a $100 fee, they cut it down to $50 because it was an AWB compliant version they didn't want to hassle ordering. When in reality they could have charger me the 100. I would rather pay a good place more money, then just try and go cheap and support a store that doesnt offer much but cheap prices.

When i got my RRA from them last month, i had it transferred, normally a $100 fee, they cut it down to $50 because it was an AWB compliant version they didn't want to hassle ordering.

In my opinion, $50 is too much, but I will do it for a store I like. Any gun shop that charges $100 for a transfer will never see me set foot in their store.

• Like 1

In my opinion, $50 is too much, but I will do it for a store I like. Any gun shop that charges $100 for a transfer will never see me set foot in their store.

exactly $50 is high IMO but $100 is out of the question.

I rarely trust anything someone who is selling me says about what they are trying to sell me;)

ALWAYS do your own research.

+100 Most in retail sales are idiots pumpkinheads . That goes for guns, cars, appliances, whatever. Do your own research first so by the time you talk to the guy behind the counter the only thing he has to do is hand you the gun your interested in so you can fondle it. You don't know this guy, or care what he likes, and you don't want his opinion either. You want what suits you, not him.

• Like 1

+100 Most in retail sales are idiots pumpkinheads . That goes for guns, cars, appliances, whatever. Do your own research first so by the time you talk to the guy behind the counter the only thing he has to do is hand you the gun your interested in so you can fondle it. You don't know this guy, or care what he likes, and you don't want his opinion either. You want what suits you, not him.

Not only that, a lot of people *in general* are just jerks. But in retail, especially, you approach someone that works with a product day-in & day-out, knows it in & out, sure - they might get frustrated by a newbie question.

That said, it's the same with any "club" - when I bought my first Harley, I admittedly knew NOTHING about bikes. So, despite my being respectful and asking questions to learn more about them (we all have to start somewhere, right?) I got a lot of attitude from seasoned riders. Same goes for guns, if you walk in somewhere with little to no research/information, it can be frustrating to a seasoned enthusiast.

I'm not saying it's right, but I think it's pretty much a common occurrence in ANY field, not just guns. Keep an open mind and don't let the occasional bonehead put you off. If you visit enough places (and do enough research on your own, or ask friends) eventually you'll get the hang of things and learn more, and hopefully find a good person to ask along the way.

Anyway, my main reason for joining this site was to ask newbie questions, and so far everyone has been great!

I recently received my FID and permits and have found the purchase process very disappointing and frustrating. I have been shopping around for a particular model handgun and have never been subjected to so many unpleasant and/or unprofessional people in such a short time in my life. I have called numerous stores inquiring about availability etc only to have to endure rude behavior and less than helpful responses. I have stopped into several stores only to be ignored or condescended and in the one shop that I was able to speak to someone who wasn't rude they failed to call me back after I followed up more than once on a potential special order. I even put in a price request here only to be contacted by one merchant (thank you to them for responding quickly unfortunately it was a response on something that wasn't my first choice.) I am not sure how this industry survives in NJ if this is any indication how new customers are treated. A person shouldn't have such horrible experiences that they dread walking into a brick and mortar shop because they don't want to deal with people's terrible attitudes. It appears I may have to shift my focus to online sources.

You're kinda right about that. Some of these places make it seem likes it a priveledge to walk into their store to buy a gun. I'll gladly take my business elsewhere. I do know people that are FFL's so I can always mail-order what I want. Sometimes it is nice to be able to hold it first, but whatever. I certainly won't tolerate attitudes while asking questions. If my money isn't green enough there are PLENTY of places that will gladly take it.

I have had good experiences with the vendors on this forum, particularly Tony (TJ Sporting Arms) and PK90. I have also had good luck at Shore Shot Pistol Range in Lakewood. I went to Efinger's recently and, although I found the prices high, the service people were very pleasant and patient (I watched them handle some wannabe commando well). I would buy there if I could haggle them down a bit. Solomon' in Farmingdale is also worth visiting. I can guarantee they won't have what you want in stock, but I know they will order it and it will be a competitive price.

I have had negative experiences at Sayreville Sportsmen, Ray's Sporting Goods (no longer in business). From what I understand, Brick Armory is OK as long as the gun is actually in stock and can be picked up. I wouldn't use them if you need for them to order it.

I recently received my FID and permits and have found the purchase process very disappointing and frustrating. I have been shopping around for a particular model handgun and have never been subjected to so many unpleasant and/or unprofessional people in such a short time in my life. I have called numerous stores inquiring about availability etc only to have to endure rude behavior and less than helpful responses. I have stopped into several stores only to be ignored or condescended and in the one shop that I was able to speak to someone who wasn't rude they failed to call me back after I followed up more than once on a potential special order. I even put in a price request here only to be contacted by one merchant (thank you to them for responding quickly unfortunately it was a response on something that wasn't my first choice.) I am not sure how this industry survives in NJ if this is any indication how new customers are treated. A person shouldn't have such horrible experiences that they dread walking into a brick and mortar shop because they don't want to deal with people's terrible attitudes. It appears I may have to shift my focus to online sources.

I too was a recent permit holder in search of 2 pistols, One for the range, and the other for home defense. Started my search on line to compare prices and then visited 3 stores, 2 in NJ and 1 IN PA, The difference in courtesy,willingness to share knowledge,helpfulness and lack of judgment or snark was like night and day between the one PA store and the two NJ stores, both of which repeatedly regaled me with the fact that there are so few gun shops in NJ and they have been around the longest and are true professionals.That may indeed be true but their customer service skills left a lot to be desired.

Unwillingness to let me handle the pistols even when I had all proper credentials,answering questions with one word answers,lack of info with wait times for out of stock items and by far my favorite is "Why you want that piece of crap for?" not to mention a transfer fee of $95.00 plus $15.00 for the call from my Neighborhood gun shop.

Finally found Ira at Legend Arms in Marlboro who not only shared info freely,but did transfers for $42.10 total and sold me a Sig I liked for a fair price. He has my business simply because he answered his phone,gave me the time this type of purchase demands and is fair in his pricing.

I too was a recent permit holder in search of 2 pistols, One for the range, and the other for home defense. Started my search on line to compare prices and then visited 3 stores, 2 in NJ and 1 IN PA, The difference in courtesy,willingness to share knowledge,helpfulness and lack of judgment or snark was like night and day between the one PA store and the two NJ stores, both of which repeatedly regaled me with the fact that there are so few gun shops in NJ and they have been around the longest and are true professionals.That may indeed be true but their customer service skills left a lot to be desired.

Unwillingness to let me handle the pistols even when I had all proper credentials,answering questions with one word answers,lack of info with wait times for out of stock items and by far my favorite is "Why you want that piece of crap for?" not to mention a transfer fee of $95.00 plus $15.00 for the call from my Neighborhood gun shop.

Finally found Ira at Legend Arms in Marlboro who not only shared info freely, did transfers for $42.10 total and sold me a Sig I liked for a fair price. He has my business simply because he answered his phone,gave me the time this type of purchase demands and is fair in his pricing.

I second Ira at Legend Arms. He's now my go-to guy. I've purchased about 4 items through in the past 4 months. $42 fees (NICS+FFL) out the door for anything purchased online, and he also is willing to work with you to get good deals from his suppliers.

Ira is also flexible in when you can pick stuff up. He calls you the day the item arrives, and you just have to work out a pick up time, which is usually almost anytime NICS is open. Great service.