DonkeyPunch

Guns need to be registered?

I've done some Googling and searching on this forum and it seems guns don't need to be registered, however, I found the following on the Lower Township Police Dept's website:

Q: I am a resident, can I register my firearm with the Lower Township Police Department?

A: Yes, you must. Pursuant to New Jersey Law, all firearms must be registered with the police department in your town.

http://www.lowertownshippolice.com/faqs.htm#10

Any clue what this is about?

My situation:

I've lived in NJ all of my life except for four years in which I was in the Army. While stationed in another state, I bought a refurbished 9mm pistol from a gun shop. Now that I'm back in NJ, do I need to get any sort of permit for it or register it with any agency? Thanks.

I'll post the relevant part of my OP again:

My situation:

I've lived in NJ all of my life except for four years in which I was in the Army. While stationed in another state, I bought a refurbished 9mm pistol from a gun shop. Now that I'm back in NJ, do I need to get any sort of permit for it or register it with any agency? Thanks.

I was relatively certain there was nothing further I had to do. The police dept's website that I posted in the OP had me doubting myself. Your post mentioning pistol permits has me doubting myself even more.

Lower Township is misleading you. You do not have to register your guns purchased out of state per NJ State Law. Just be careful with magazine capacity.

ETA: NJ offers an optional program to register your guns, if you'd like. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

• Like 1

Nah.... dont have to have it..... FID card is for purchasing longguns, and now pistol ammo within this state..... not required for handgun ownership

Certainly not a bad idea to put forth the time/effort into obtaining one tho...

When you go to your station for an FID, don't mention anything about owning the pistol, not like it would matter, it will just make it go smoother, considering you got that response from them. Although it seems to me that only ~2 officers know the gun laws at PD's, and it's basically the ones that do all the paperwork.

I heard stories about people getting arrested because their flight was re-directed to Newark Airport. When they landed and received their handgun from checked luggage they were arrested because they lacked a NJ FID card. I was under the assumption that you should always have your FID card with you when you have a gun off your property (range, gunsmith, just bought one, even buying ammo at the store for a pistol requires my FID card [Dicks Sporting Goods])

Am I right or misinformed once again?

Thanks!

Per the Newark case - that was guy from Utah. He has since sued all concerned. Not sure that it is over yet, but he was in the right and it will ultimately (if it hasn't already) cost the police a lot of money.

The FPID is a firearms ID that is required to purchase long guns. There is no statute that requires you to carry it with you when you are legally in possession of arms. It has been suggested by the AG's office that it would be a good idea to have one and have it with you when transporting, but it's not a law.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I heard stories about people getting arrested because their flight was re-directed to Newark Airport. When they landed and received their handgun from checked luggage they were arrested because they lacked a NJ FID card. I was under the assumption that you should always have your FID card with you when you have a gun off your property (range, gunsmith, just bought one, even buying ammo at the store for a pistol requires my FID card [Dicks Sporting Goods])

Am I right or misinformed once again?

Thanks!

In that case, he was busted for violating other transport rules, none of which would have been mitigated by an FPID card. Plus, he was later found not guilty becuase he did not actually violate any law. After incurring a huge legal bill of course.

I heard stories about people getting arrested because their flight was re-directed to Newark Airport. When they landed and received their handgun from checked luggage they were arrested because they lacked a NJ FID card.

I doubt any of the arrests were for not having a FOID. The man from Utah that Pizza Bob mentioned was arrested for possession of a handgun without a permit to carry and unlawful possession of hollow-point ammunition.

http://www.lexisone.com/lx1/caselaw/freecaselaw?action=OCLGetCaseDetail&format=FULL&sourceID=gdih&searchTerm=hZcO.fCja.ZCaW.GadX&searchFlag=y&l1loc=FCLOW

In that case, he was busted for violating other transport rules, none of which would have been mitigated by an FPID card. Plus, he was later found not guilty becuase he did not actually violate any law. After incurring a huge legal bill of course.

I'm not sure why charges were dropped, but I'm not sure it's because he didn't violate any laws (charges are sometimes dropped for many more reasons other than no laws being violated).

In the link I provided above, the Utah man (Revell) picked up his luggage in NJ and went to his hotel room with it. He also stated that he was transporting his gun and ammunition to PA so he could drive to Utah with it for protection. I'm no legal expert, but I'm not so sure he went about doing things to the letter of the law. The conclusion in the article I linked to says that "Section 926A does not apply to Revell because his firearm and ammunition were readily accessible to him during his stay in New Jersey."

I doubt any of the arrests were for not having a FOID. The man from Utah that Pizza Bob mentioned was arrested for possession of a handgun without a permit to carry and unlawful possession of hollow-point ammunition.

http://www.lexisone....g=y&l1loc=FCLOW

I'm not sure why charges were dropped, but I'm not sure it's because he didn't violate any laws (charges are sometimes dropped for many more reasons other than no laws being violated).

In the link I provided above, the Utah man (Revell) picked up his luggage in NJ and went to his hotel room with it. He also stated that he was transporting his gun and ammunition to PA so he could drive to Utah with it for protection. I'm no legal expert, but I'm not so sure he went about doing things to the letter of the law. The conclusion in the article I linked to says that "Section 926A does not apply to Revell because his firearm and ammunition were readily accessible to him during his stay in New Jersey."

The last time I checked the docket for the Revell case it showed over 125 filings or events in the case since Jan '06. I attached the three that I thought were most important. In short, the good news is that the charges were dropped and Revell got his gun back (two years later). The bad news is that, in the civil case, the judge decided that the arresting officer had probable cause and that ANJRPC could not be a plaintiff. After probable cause was affirmed, the case fell apart and Revell's claims were dismissed. However, the interesting and unusuall thing is that ANJRPC appealed the decision to remove them as a plaintiff. The appeal was granted and the case was reopened. So, the last time I looked, the case was continuing with ANJRPC as the only plantiff. Go figure!

Revell v Port Auth Opinion 033109.pdf

revell USCA Opinion 042309.pdf

ANJRPC amended complaint 052909.pdf

I just got off the phone with the Lower Township Police Department. They were very professional and cooperative. There was a two week period where they were checking that what I was saying was correct, but they have agreed to change their website to more accurately reflect the true legal requirements. The new language was read to me over the phone. It wasn't perfect, but the important errors have been corrected (I thought it wise not to dwell on the minutia). I was told that it will take a few days to update the website, but it will be updated to reflect the changes.

If anyone else has any similar problems with their local PD's, please post them. I, and NJ2AS will do our very best to work constructively with your PD to get the discrepancies corrected, while you are able to remain anonymous.

Thanks, OP, for bringing this up.

The change has been made.

Q: I am a resident, can I register my firearm with the Lower Township Police Department?

A: You can register your firearm with the Lower Township Police Department by completing a "Voluntary Form of Registration" (SP650I)

Should you have questions regarding this form, contact the Firearms Investigations Unit, New Jersey State Police, P.O. Box 7068, West Trenton, NJ 08628-0068, (609) 882-2000, ext. 2060 or 2061

nice job... seems anjrpc is sueing for legal fees and the right to pass through with out being arrested.. cool thing is they name the arresting officer this will help other officers learn more about the law and understand it....well at least we hope it will..

Hey! Way to win one for the NJ2AS! I know it seems small, but as it's been said before, ours will be a victory of a thousand cuts.

Perhaps you could start a "NJ2AS Victories" sticky in the NJ2AS section, or perhaps here in the "NJ Gun Laws" section?

A: Although not required by law, you may register your firearm with the Lower Township Police Department by completing a "Voluntary Form of Registration" (SP650I)

Think this is more correct. :rolleyes:

Guest megaman

[/left]

Nice job man. I applaud you.

I believe at issue here is not the direct ownership or possession of he pistol, rather how, when, where you acquired it and more importantly how you brought it into the state. I believe that the transportation of a pistol purchased in another state into NJ is illegal. Hence, in order to be compliant, you would need to do a FFL to FFL transfer. In order to do that, you need a FPID and a PPP, which would effectively register the gun anyway.