tuktuk

tactical vests

I'm actually totally sold on running a "battle belt" now that I've put one together. I haven't run it with a rifle yet, but I think it would be a far more natural than running it with a pistol. Mine is set up for two pistol mags, two rifle mags, a holster, dump pouch, and admin pouch... a good amount of weight, but there is no shifting around as long as I make it snug. And the most surprising part is that even though I'm easily wearing 8-10+ pounds on my waist, I hardly feel it. Even with just five pounds on my chest, I can feel the stress on my shoulders, back, and neck. It also easily comes on/off, and looks a lot more low-key then a chest rig or PC.

If need be though, I run a PC that carries 6+ rifle mags, and some more pouches-- to include a hydration carrier. Both systems are optimized to run with each other; the belt being first line, and the carrier being second.

just remember, my words to live by are 'rifle first, last, and always.' dont ask a pistol to do a rifles job. playing the game, lets say TSHTF. you are not going to want just a pistol; and your primary weapon should not be a pistol with a rifle as backup. its easier/cheaper to use and train with a pistol, but thats just because we live in a police state (look at whats happening with AKs right now). if zombies attack, youll want a rifle. if society falls and we live in a 'patriots' world, you want a rifle. if an EMP happens (a la 'one second after), youll want a rifle, with pistol backup.

Of course, but that's the reason why the belt is a first line, and the PC is a second line. As for my personal training, I'm use to the application of a chest-based system as opposed to a belt system-- which is the reason why it took so long to getting around to a belt. For range sessions, or a class, or even a home defense situation-- the belt is far better because its easy on/off, comfortable, and holds everything needed (my rifle also can hold an extra magazine as I run a Redi-Mag). But if things got really messy, and, hypothetically SHTF, yes, I would add my PC to supplement the belt. I'm a rifle-guy-first as well, and I understand having something that caters to a long arm primarily. But what use is something for mere hypothetical as opposed to applicable "every day use" (like the belt)?

I don't think one is any better than the other-- I just think its a matter of application. If someone wants a piece of nylon for specifically a lot of rifle mags, then a vest is a good idea. If someone is considering implementing other aspects, a belt is not a bad idea. This also doesn't factor in the fact that both can be run simultaneously, something I hope to do in the upcoming weeks :icon_e_wink:

Slick plate carrier i made, using 500D Multicam Cordura, and printed Multicam webbing. I've got small SAPIs inside. This is more of a design exercise/collection piece than anything else; i have no illusions of being in a situation where i "need" body armour.

L1040425.jpg

L1040462.jpg

If I'm wearing a vest it's because I need the ceramic plate armor. If I need plate armor....things must be very, very, very bad.

Otherwise, my Maxpedition Thermite gets the job done. Can hold two pistol mags, and/or several shotgun/rifle mags.

I swear by Maxpedition products. They are built like AK's.

SOE micro rig is the tits If I actually felt the shotgun as a viable tool I'd have one of those. (no offense intended- just my thoughts on the suck involved in reloading) I love my osoe micro rig for the m4.

SOE micro rig is the tits If I actually felt the shotgun as a viable tool I'd have one of those. (no offense intended- just my thoughts on the suck involved in reloading) I love my osoe micro rig for the m4.

viable tool?

please explain how you feel a shotgun is NOT a viable tool. I can't think of a better firearm than a pump or semi auto shotgun.

viable tool?

please explain how you feel a shotgun is NOT a viable tool. I can't think of a better firearm than a pump or semi auto shotgun.

I think he's trying to get at a couple of things. First of all, shotguns take TIME to reload, and if your fine muscle control is out the window as a result of you being in a bad situation this does not help. Second of all, a pump shotgun takes time to cycle. Third, the "cone of death" that most perceive shotguns as creating is much smaller than many think, creating a bad situation if you miss.

Saiga's tend to alleviate many of these problems, but it's difficult to get a good one and impossible to take full advantage of them in NJ.

viable tool?

Using a shotgun to the point of having to reload and have a specific rig isn't viable in my opinion. Reloading is slow and cumbersome. I sleep with an 870 next to my bed but after the 6+1 in it I consider it a impact weapon. The fine motor and differing muscle movement make reloads under stress very challenging in a kinetic environment.

The act of the reload is completely different than that on a box fed rifle or auto pistol and I don't have the time to train up on being uber fast on a reload...

For me

Yes, its difficult to reload. Yes, firepower is limited to about 9 rounds (Mossberg 590A1) Yes, it's not as fast as a semi auto rifle.

But there are factors that make a 12 gauge EQUAL to any other battle rifle. First is the fact that a hit with a 12 gauge, either in buckshot or slug, is pretty devastating. Not many will get up after a single hit with either. Second, it's cheap to train with. Birdshot is 5 bucks a box when on sale and you can find it cheaper. Third, is kinda directed towards me but I've learned to shoot on a wingmaster so I'll argue that I can run a pump gun about as fast as someone with a semi. Being a course fire, not talking about a magazine dump.

All the firearms we use in "tactical" applications have there ups and downs. But never count out a 12 gauge, it'll be around alot longer than an most semi's. It's simple, reliable, robust and rugged. Just my opinion, although I'm usually right about everything I say on here anyway.

• Like 1