Bob B

Ammunition Purchase I.D. Requirements

I was doing some research of NJ Statutes and I could not find a requirement to verify any form of identification when purchasing ammunition other than Handgun Ammunition where handgun ammunition has the following definition:

2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

I could only find a requirement in the Administrative Code (not a statute) to verify the age of the purchaser of rifle and shotgun ammunition to be at least 18.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-3.14 Permanent record of receipt and disposition of firearms and ammunition

(b.) Every retail dealer of ammunition shall maintain a permanent record of ammunition acquisition and disposition. The record of purchase or acquisition shall consist of invoices or other commercial records, which shall be filed in an orderly manner separate from other commercial records maintained. Such records shall show the name of the manufacturer, the type, caliber or gauge, quantity of the ammunition acquired in the transaction, the date of each acquisition and from whom received. The record of sale or disposition shall be maintained in a bound form and shall contain the date of the transaction, name of manufacturer, caliber or gauge, quantity of ammunition sold, name, address and date of birth of purchaser, and identification used to establish the identity of purchaser. The dealer shall confirm the age of the purchaser of rifle and shotgun ammunition to be at least 18, and handgun ammunition to be at least 21. No record need be maintained for the sale or disposition of shotgun or rifle ammunition. However, sales or other dispositions of ammunition intended for use in any other firearm and which may be interchangeable between rifles and handguns, as well as hollow-nosed or dum-dum ammunition, must be recorded. The records shall be maintained in chronological order by date of acquisition and disposition and shall be kept at the location the business is being conducted.

My question is: Is there a statutory requirement to verify the I.D. or age of a purchaser of rifle or shotgun ammunition? Did I miss it?

Thanks

FID is required for handgun ammo and long barrel weapon purchases. Always has been as far as I know. Just don't need FID for rifle/shotgun ammo.

You can also show a Handgun Purchase Permit or a Permit to Carry a Handgun to purchase handgun ammmunition. I updated my original post to show the statutory language.

I think places are so scared of the confounding set of "laws" we have (some actual and some implied) that they just default to "show me your FPID". The only thing I can consistently buy in NJ without my ID and writing my name in the log book of shame is buckshot.

I even know places that do it for rifle ammo "just in case". Just in case what?!? Who the heck is going to use .300 WMAG in a pistol? :icon_lol: