fliks

The Walking Dead

tonights episode was a little boring, but I think they are building up to something. The next 3 episodes are gonna be good. Did anyone else enter for a chance to be a zombie? I did, lol.

only 3 shows left in the season......not much of a season if you ask me. must have been a teaser to drum up interest for a second season.

It's an expensive show to film. The show needed to get decent viewership in order to get picked up beyond the initial 6. It surpassed all expectations and I think they approved 22 more episodes.

this last episode was kind of a let down. not much going on except for "character development" - many things are different from the comic that I'm not happy about. Glenn and I also noticed a funny firearm related "fail" when Shane was "cleaning" his shotgun, there was no brush or jag or pads or anything on that rod. and what was he doing with that brush? polishing the side of the barrel? :facepalm:

this last episode was kind of a let down. not much going on except for "character development" - many things are different from the comic that I'm not happy about. Glenn and I also noticed a funny firearm related "fail" when Shane was "cleaning" his shotgun, there was no brush or jag or pads or anything on that rod. and what was he doing with that brush? polishing the side of the barrel? :facepalm:

I haven't minded any of the "literary license" the writers have done. Comparing the current episode with the comic, some excitement is due the next episode. I wonder if the guy left handcuffed on the roof ends up being one of the characters from future issues of the comic.

See Ray, no spoiler from me. :)

I wonder if the guy left handcuffed on the roof ends up being one of the characters from future issues of the comic.

the literary license is ok. I guess they have to keep it fast paced and interesting.

ok, Chris (and others who read the comics). it's in white below, highlight to read - so NO SPOILER for Ray :icon_mrgreen:

you mean "The Governor"? I was thinking that even before he cut his hand off that he may end up as "The Governor". I can't wait to see Michonne. she's so bad a$$. but what about those twin boys? and the little girl that was Carl's friend that went all crazy? and what about that prison and Hershel's farm? I hope they don't change too much from the comic.

the literary license is ok. I guess they have to keep it fast paced and interesting.

ok, Chris (and others who read the comics). it's in white below, highlight to read - so NO SPOILER for Ray :icon_mrgreen:

you mean "The Governor"? I was thinking that even before he cut his hand off that he may end up as "The Governor". I can't wait to see Michonne. she's so bad a$. but what about those twin boys? and the little girl that was Carl's friend that went all crazy? and what about that prison and Hershel's farm? I hope they don't change too much from the comic.

I agree. Hopefully they integrate all the comic characters. Most of them were interesting.

In a way, those that are not familiar with the comic are better off. I keep finding myself trying to compare it to the comic instead of just sitting there and enjoying it. I need to forget about the comic till the first season is done, and watch it like it's any other show.

for some reason, many books, movies, series, etc. dont refer to zombies as zombies. i wouldnt doubt it could be something as stupid as a copyright thing.

or, thinking deeper into it, ill bring up a point i stated before: the only reason a zombie outbreak ever happens is because the people involved are completely ignorant as to what a zombie is. they all seem to live in a world where there has never been a zombie movie made, nor has the word 'zombie' ever been created......simply because zombies have never existed. therefore, they wouldnt have a word for what we know as zombies, because this is the first time anyone has ever seen one. they dont have a specific name for it yet; like discovering a new species of bug. you get to name it, but later on.

as far as staying true to a comic........no movie has ever followed a book or comic to the letter, ever. for whatever reason, there are always purists up in arms about why this character wasnt involved, or why is this one black and suddenly theres an asian in the mix, where did their pet dog go, etc. nothing is ever kept the same line for line, for whatever reason.

This reply is to something px4storm said that may be a spoiler for other people, so the reply will be in white.

The girl is Sophia isn't it? And they showed her and her mom for a couple seconds towards the beginning of Ep. 3 where they were arguing about the fire. I'm still trying to figure out who all the extra people are.. I don't remember the latin family at all or who their characters are supposed to be... If the racist biker dude ends up being The Governor, then it's another deviation from the story since Rick never met the Governor till much later in the comic. That said, the Dixon brothers are a creation for the show.. took some googling cuz my memory was failing me, but neither are from the comic

I'm lovin it!

What happens to the one-armed racist?

What is the gang gonna do?

What happens at base camp?

Does the deputy's partner get to hook up with the two blonds?

Echo brings up a good point, about zombie nicknames... the one that I find quite endearing is "zeds" from Brooks' WWZ (I think it was WWZ at least). I don't think it was Tim's intentions to give us the name ZED, but it sure works out :icon_e_biggrin:

As for the character additions... almost seems necessary. In written stories, the author can get away with very little characters. This is because a story is fleshed out through the reader's perspective, which of course requires suspending one's disbelief. Creating visual media though complicates it because if the show stuck to the handful of characters, it would seem pretty barren-- and the whole "human" aspect wouldn't be nearly as effective. Fortunately this was a graphic novel, and I could imagine it made things a bit easier for the producers to figure out how to create the backdrop... though, I could imagine there was some deviation there as well.

With that said, I wonder how much the early additions/retcon of characters is going to affect the overall story.

Echo brings up a good point, about zombie nicknames... the one that I find quite endearing is "zeds" from Brooks' WWZ (I think it was WWZ at least). I don't think it was Tim's intentions to give us the name ZED, but it sure works out :icon_e_biggrin:

im WWZ theyre called Zack, not zed. personally, zeek rolls off the tongue easier and is faster to say then zack.

a benefit to working in a warehouse full of books, I was passing by a shelf with a WD compendium and flipped through the beginning few issues to get a refresher. those first few issues are so beautifully drawn...

I kinda recall there was a moment in the comic that someone said "why don't you just call them 'zombies', it's what they are!" and someone else said "I know, it just feels weird saying it" in the comic, they call them 'walkers' and 'roamers' and 'biters', but not 'geeks'.... not much of a "spoiler" so I didn't bother whiting it out.

there's some 'white type' below though

I wonder how they're gonna deal with Rick's missing hand. maybe they'll make the future "Governor", former redneck racist chop it off as payback? that handicap is kinda a big deal later on. and Michonne... ohhhh I can't wait.

I like where the story is going-- but I'm really interested in the events that are too come... [whited out text below]

Anyone else getting tired of the fact that they've stretched the first comic out this much? I know they have added more flavors to the mix, but this is essentially "Days Gone By" pt 1, 2, 3, etc.

As for Michonne, watch them totally ruin it by picking an actress like Michelle Rodriguez... ugh. I'm thinking it might be Gina Torres might be a good fit for the role (Firefly reference for the super nerds). But in the end, I'm just looking forward to the return of Lennie James (who played Morgan Jones-- the dad who helps out Rick in the beginning)... if anyone can act the anguish his character goes through later in the story, its Lennie James!

yah, Ben, without saying much more, I'm very afraid they'll ruin that character. the chick from Firefly would be a good choice ... or a total unknown.

I liked when you first see her in the comic and she's walking with two mutilated zombies with collars and chains. and when they say she can come into the prison, but can't bring the zombies, she just whooosh, slices their heads off... "what, my boyfriend and his best friend...I won't be needing them anymore"

As for the character additions... almost seems necessary. In written stories, the author can get away with very little characters. This is because a story is fleshed out through the reader's perspective, which of course requires suspending one's disbelief. Creating visual media though complicates it because if the show stuck to the handful of characters, it would seem pretty barren-- and the whole "human" aspect wouldn't be nearly as effective. Fortunately this was a graphic novel, and I could imagine it made things a bit easier for the producers to figure out how to create the backdrop... though, I could imagine there was some deviation there as well.

With that said, I wonder how much the early additions/retcon of characters is going to affect the overall story.

If this were for real would you guys call them zombies??? Initially yes but then im sure people would come up with more slang to call them. Sort of like we find names for any other group we've fought against.

white spoiler text below

I wonder if its all a communist conspiracy? Cmon ray, I know your reading these spoilers despite your complaining!

How did I know you were gonna do this?

No, I haven't been reading the white text but once i saw someone wielding a hammer and sickle in the zombie thread I knew it was you.

How did I know you were gonna do this?

No, I haven't been reading the white text but once i saw someone wielding a hammer and sickle in the zombie thread I knew it was you.

lol I never yeilded a hammer and sickle. I was just bustin on you ray, I love you :wub:

• Like 1

awwwww, the kissing an the make-upping... how sweet you guys :) alright, back to flesh eating undead.

this next episode better make up for the lameness of the last one. I think the last one had a total of only two zombies killed - that's pathetic.