Sign in to follow this  
Destinydog

Pinned magazines

Ok so i have talked to a few dealers about pinning a mag for a handgun to make it legal.. so far two have said yes they will do it and it is legal, and two have told me it is illegal and these dealers are violating the law.. Yet one of these dealers had pinned ar-15 mags he was selling so i am confused. I thought the only legal issue had to deal with if it is permanant or not and what defines permanant? Anyone have any idea or is this another grey area?

It depends. If the FFL dealer procures the magazines and modifies them to comply with NJ restrictions THEN sells them to you its good.

If you supply the unmodified magazines, I think you are screwed, since you can't have them legally in NJ.

in all situations it would be the FFL getting the mag and modifiying them. Two seperate dealers stated it was illegal even for an FFL to obtain a magazine with the sole purpose of modifiying it.. but that seemed odd.. why else would they order an illegal magazine?

in all situations it would be the FFL getting the mag and modifiying them. Two seperate dealers stated it was illegal even for an FFL to obtain a magazine with the sole purpose of modifiying it.. but that seemed odd.. why else would they order an illegal magazine?

unfortunately when it comes to NJ law and policy there does not always be clear cases of black and white.. I called an a local FFL once (before I met Paul from Arms and Ammo) about transferring a Saiga to me that I wanted to buy online.. and the second he realized it was an "evil black rifle" he had absolutely no interest.. his issue was the laws regarding those types of rifles tend to really vary, and he is just not comfortable dealing with it, so he personally only deals with hunting and target type guns.. shotguns.. rifles.. etc... so that might be what you are experiencing here.. someone who is just too afraid of crazy laws to deal with trying to figure out what the deal is..

Go to the dealer who is willing to pin the mag for you, and order the gun through him/her. Since you have multiple dealers willing to do it, pick one that supports the forum first, and the closest one to your home second.

so what is one to do? I would like to here personal opinions here as well... im jsut curious.

Call Jimmy Flynn at Jimmy Flynn Truck Repair in Clinton. He is an FFL. He will sell you mags that he buys and sends out to be pinned. There is nothing illegal about doing this.

FYI, at this time, Springfield Armory has decided not to honor their Promotion for the additional magazines to NJ residents if the magazine capacity is more than 15 rounds. They also will not send them to a dealer for conversion. :icon_rolleyes:

I spoke to someone at SA about this, and I sent them the information that I had so that they could reverse their asinine decision. Standby for a response. :wacko:

Why must I do all the dirty work. :facepalm:

• Like 1

FYI, at this time, Springfield Armory has decided not to honor their Promotion for the additional magazines to NJ residents if the magazine capacity is more than 15 rounds. They also will not send them to a dealer for conversion. :icon_rolleyes:

I spoke to someone at SA about this, and I sent them the information that I had so that they could reverse their asinine decision. Standby for a response. :wacko:

Why must I do all the dirty work. :facepalm:

because you have this fancy licensing that the rest of us do not.. :icon_e_biggrin:

Then share who it was so we can send business their way as well. I'd love to have the option to get 15 round XD9 magazines....

I spoke with a guy at the range last Sunday and and he bought 18 round XDM mags from Jimmy Flynn who sent them out to be pinned to 15 rounders.

Jim Flynn's Truck Repair (908)537-6446 2135 State Route 31, Glen Gardner, NJ 08826Dist:

Im interested in Paul's proffesional thoughts on this. Would you mind giving it?

Magazines have to be "permanently altered" to hold 15 or less rounds in order to be sold by a dealer according to the NJSP. There is no law stating that they can not be temporarily blocked by a non-licensee.

• Like 1

Magazines have to be "permanently altered" to hold 15 or less rounds in order to be sold by a dealer according to the NJSP. There is no law stating that they can not be temporarily blocked by a non-licensee.

Do you have any info on what constitutes "permanent" for plastic magazines as per NJSP?

I spoke with a guy at the range last Sunday and and he bought 18 round XDM mags from Jimmy Flynn who sent them out to be pinned to 15 rounders.

Jim Flynn's Truck Repair (908)537-6446 2135 State Route 31, Glen Gardner, NJ 08826Dist:

Interesting :icon_question:

The 9mm mags hold 19, the 40SW hold 16, and the 45 hold 13. Why would he SEND them out? How would one PIN them?

• Like 1

Do you have any info on what constitutes "permanent" for plastic magazines as per NJSP?

NJSP has not stated in writing what "permanently altered" means.

Dictionary.com says:

permanent means "intended to exist or function for a long, indefinite period without regard to unforeseeable conditions" and

alter means "to make different in some particular, as size, style, course, or the like".

• Like 1

Dictionary.com says:

permanent means "intended to exist or function for a long, indefinite period without regard to unforeseeable conditions" and

alter means "to make different in some particular, as size, style, course, or the like".

OK, thank you.

Dictionary.com says:

That's the problem it's all open to interpretation

He already had a truck repair business and sells guns and does transfers part time. Maybe he has his hands full with the work he has rather than going into the pinned mags business.

I don't believe Jim does any gun work. I stopped by over a year ago and he just got in a couple of S&W MP15s. When I mentioned about muzzle breaks, he said he has a gunsmith that would do the work.