NJdiverTony

New from Hunterdon Cty

Hey all, new guy here from Hunterdon County (near Clinton). I'm a long time gun owner (shotguns & rifles, as I used to hunt quite a lot) but now looking to get into handguns. I just submitted my apps to the NJSP station in Perryville, a couple of weeks ago, to get my FPID card updated with my new address and also put in for 2 pistol permits. The troopers told me that it can take up to 3 months (damn!) for my updated FPID and Pistol permits to get done, but I'm hoping that they will be done sooner than that. Just wanted to say hi to all of you and introduce myself, and look forward to talking with all of you on the forum and learning some good info from all of you more experienced handgun owners. :icon_e_smile:

Thanks,

Tony

I like this guy. Better than the beating I usually get around here! :)

He's new, he'll learn.

Welcome!

Three months? That's ludicrous - sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Welcome from the southern part of Hunterdon!

What kind of Handguns are you interested in?

Thanks for the welcome! Looking into semi-auto's... probably going to start out with a 9mm. I really like the XDM's but I guess they're not legal in NJ because of the high cap mags... One of the other guns I like is the Sig P226 9mm. I would like to try out the full sized Glocks at a range some day, like a G17 and see how I like that. I've shot the G19 before and it was OK, and have shot a couple of Taurus 1911's... and they were OK too. If money was no object I would love a high end 1911... Anyway, now I'm just dreaming. LOL! I want to start out with a good pistol that won't break the bank, and then we'll see what's next.

Thanks for the welcome! Looking into semi-auto's... probably going to start out with a 9mm. I really like the XDM's but I guess they're not legal in NJ because of the high cap mags... One of the other guns I like is the Sig P226 9mm. I would like to try out the full sized Glocks at a range some day, like a G17 and see how I like that. I've shot the G19 before and it was OK, and have shot a couple of Taurus 1911's... and they were OK too. If money was no object I would love a high end 1911... Anyway, now I'm just dreaming. LOL! I want to start out with a good pistol that won't break the bank, and then we'll see what's next.

Come on out to one of our meets. We have all sorts of stuff for you to try. You can get an XDM in NJ - someone here just did. The mags just have to be pinned to 15. Full sized Glock 17's are ok but you can only get 10 round mags for them. P226's you can't go wrong with. I also highly recommend Berettas - especially the Px4 Storm :D

Hunterdon county ftw! Took me about 3 months (all summer) to get my permit. I wanted to get an XDM 9 too but the stupid mag sizes killed that dream. Check out the FNH FNP-9, thats what I ended up getting and they are kinda similar

Yeah if you're in Hunterdon county it should take like a month.

I hope so, man... The troopers told me that it would be about 3 months and I was like "Whoaaaaa???" When I lived in Monmouth County (Middletown) a few years ago I was able to get my FPID updated with a change of address and a pistol permit within 3 weeks! I ended up having some unexpected expenses come up and never got around to using that pistol permit to buy a gun. But back to the subject... 3 months is insane! I'm hoping they told me 3 months just as a precaution, but in reality it might be faster... I guess time will tell. On the positive side, the troopers at the Perryville station seem to be very cool guys, especially the guy I worked with do my paperwork.

Tony

Hunterdon county ftw! Took me about 3 months (all summer) to get my permit. I wanted to get an XDM 9 too but the stupid mag sizes killed that dream. Check out the FNH FNP-9, thats what I ended up getting and they are kinda similar

Damn, that sucks! Sorry to hear that you had to wait that long. Did you go through the Perryville station as well?

Come on out to one of our meets. We have all sorts of stuff for you to try. You can get an XDM in NJ - someone here just did. The mags just have to be pinned to 15. Full sized Glock 17's are ok but you can only get 10 round mags for them. P226's you can't go wrong with. I also highly recommend Berettas - especially the Px4 Storm :D

Thanks! I will have to take you up on that, one of these days. How can I found about when the meets are scheduled for?

Damn, that sucks! Sorry to hear that you had to wait that long. Did you go through the Perryville station as well?

I went through the Kingwood barracks on route 12 near Flemington. No complaints with them, just wish the process was faster. I'm definitely gonna wait till I move to WY to buy my next pistol