e80hydro

2 litre Coca Cola bottles

Earlier I put a 2 litre bottle of Coke in my fridge door. Later on I open the door a bang, the bottle falls on the floor. I put it back and notice because of it's odd tapered shape, it won't stay there when I move the door. So I put it on one of the racks and it wont stand up well there either because of the way the bottom has those titties. WTF? So I have to lay it on it's side with the top pointing out so it won't roll. Why do they do this to us? Jerks!! :angry:

engineers, they dont have their head on straight...they want you to spill that coke so you go buy another one..

An engineer would've made the most cost-effective and simple shape possible. Your problem rests with marketing.

An engineer would've made the most cost-effective and simple shape possible. Your problem rests with marketing.

I agree with this post. A good engineer would have made it square with a flat bottom so it would stand anywhere and mind it's own business, maybe put a picture of a gun on it too. These bottles are purposly designed to go after us. :ph34r:

Guest schutzen-jager

the empty ones make great disposable silencers -

engineers, they dont have their head on straight...they want you to spill that coke so you go buy another one..

I disagree. Engineers love titties, both heads are on straight. That right there is reason enough. I am quite sure that the bottle engineer has to continue to come up with a design that uses less and less plastic. I am waiting to go to buy milk and find that it's no longer in a carton of some sort but in a poly bag as it is in Canada.

Yeah bagged milk.... such a PITA. They're really thin bags too so they're so easy to puncture.

I remember when 2 Liter bottles had a big black plastic cap on the bottom that was flat - held them perfectly. Stood up perfectly. Everything's "eco-friendly" these days causing for weird shapes and not very good stand-up'ability.

You're suggesting that marketing put 3 teats on the bottom of a 2L bottle? :icon_mrgreen:

I'm suggesting that marketing told the engineer to do it... and so the engineer did.

It is over engineered, i run into this all the time way too much thaught into it..

If it's over engineered, then it wasn't done by an engineer. My school of thought, and what was taught to me, is that the difference between an engineer and a regular person is that an engineer should never have to over engineer something if they have properly taken into account all the risks and stresses in a design.

Yeah bagged milk.... such a PITA. They're really thin bags too so they're so easy to puncture.

I remember when 2 Liter bottles had a big black plastic cap on the bottom that was flat - held them perfectly. Stood up perfectly. Everything's "eco-friendly" these days causing for weird shapes and not very good stand-up'ability.

I won't lie, the three tits may have a role in protecting the soda in case you drop it. By not having definitive corners, the energy may be dispersed throughout the design if you drop it.

I standard cylinder bottom may not provide that.

The bottom teats might have made the bottle bottoms stronger so they can get more vertical height in stacking the product. The teats and extra bends would yield a stronger design that the old school straight walled design. I'm still leaning it was some marketing angle to disguise the vanishing 1/2 liter.

Here is one for the group. Many are aware I am involved with a variety of security / business continuity consulting. When Katrina hit, Coca Cola's primary bottle supplier located in Ohio couldn't get the resin needed because the New Orleans port was shut down and the resin could make it up river. They informed Coke about their little supply chain problem and estimated they would be off line for about 6 weeks while trying to re-route the resin. Coke cx'd the contract and started having the bottles sent from China. The bottles weren't as strong or as clear, but Coke didn't have to stop their operations or miss having product on the shelf. Without a drop of rain from Katrina, a billion dollar company got shut down because a supply chain failure.