vladtepes

PA CCW Laws in reference to a NJ resident carrying with FL CCW..

ok.. so I am finally trying to get my FL CCW permit.. which will allow me to legally carry in PA... I don't need any info on the whole view that some people think you can't legally transport to PA for the sole purpose of carrying.. but what I do need to know is if I face any crazy restrictions that I should OBVIOUSLY be aware of..

So I am legally carrying in PA..

* ammunition restrictions?

* location restrictions? school zones?

* can a city bar me from carrying within a specific city (Philadelphia to be specific)?

Anything else? I am sure this is all written out somewhere but would love to pick up a few pointers from those of you in the know..

Check out PAFOA, the forum there has stickies about all aspects of carry in PA. There are few restrictions in PA. No ammo or mag restrictions. Schools and federal facilities are a no-no, including the Post Office. There are no separate laws with regard to Philly and concealed carry (even though they'd like there to be - fortunately PA has pre-emption).

You can open carry in PA with no permit - but cannot open carry in Philly without one (in PA it is a LTCF) - that's codified in state law. If you are open carrying w/o a permit, you cannot do so in a motor vehicle. Since you will have a permit (FL) you can open or conceal carry anywhere that isn't restricted. as mentioned previously. Not wise to do so in Philly, even though it's legal. Sometimes the Philly PD makes up the law as they go along. There are people pushing the envelope now, but they know what they're getting into.

Since both open & concealed carry are OK in PA you don't have to worry if you print. There is no such thing as brandishing in PA. "No gun" signs do not carry the weight of law (again except for those places already mentioned) - but if you are found to be carrying and ask to leave, and you don't comply, you can be arrested for trespass.

Those are the highpoints. PA is pretty wide open, compared to most states that have CC.

Be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

With a PA LTCF or a license from any state that PA honors, you can carry openly or concealed in Philadelphia.

No restrictions on ammo, it's ok to use standard ammunition there.

Keep in mind what Pizza Bob said about Philadelphia PD as they are acting in violation of the law and essentially "bullying" any law abiding citizen who they presume to have a gun on them. They usually confiscate gun, permits, and detain the person as long as possible until they have to face the facts that they did nothing illegal.

They have a special hard-on for Florida permits (no clue why as FL's CCW permit process is far more restrictive than PA's) with city officials and representatives now calling it the "Florida Permit Loophole" and calling for it closed. So be aware of the situation and prepared to properly deal with the police should they decide to pick on you.

• Like 1

thanks for the heads up.. ideally no one will ever know I am carrying a firearm.. I do not intend to broadcast the info.. the thing as far as philly is this.. I go there from time to time.. so maybe they should spend some time cleaning up the friggin town.. if it was not like down town Afganistan I would not feel the need to carry..

Be aware that while its legal to carry in philly, they apparently make up rules on the go even for PA residents with PA LTCF's. Also be aware that some people will say that you cannot carry in a school zone (not just school property but the whole 1,000' thing) because your license isnt from the state. Being in philly, everywhere is basically a school zone. You can always go with the hope that its interpreted that your license counts as a PA license as far as that law goes.

I already have mine, gotten it thru Gun4Hire :icon_mrgreen: . I suggest u get on the PAFOA.org website, and read the stories about Philly on there. I have a house in the poconos, so that will be my excuse when they ask "where Im coming from". gotta love the PA gun laws (outside of Philly)

All Philadelphia's Police officers have recently received education about the permits that are honored in PA. This was a requirement for their jobs and had to be completed some time ago (I don't remember the exact dates). The education may have simply been the Sergent saying "Yo! sign this!" but they were required to complete this education. If they give you a hard time refer to the recent education. If they didn't receive it you have a decent case.

IIRC, there still is some gray areas when it comes to Federal Parks / Sites in PA. I need to review this. I now only camp in PA with my kids because I can carry. A couple of years ago had a odd situation where a drunk camper who had a distant site decided to stick around my site a little longer then I cared for and didn't take to my hints to leave me and my girls alone. I allowed my shirt to expose my 1911 when tending to the fire seemed to make him decide that he needed to go back to his site and check on his tent real quickly. I love PA.

Get the AZ Permit instead....it's cheaper than FL and no "FL loophole"... :icon_twisted:

The PAFOA thread mentioned above.

Interesting. I've been assigned a couple of Indian tribes to work with (if I can get the deal made) and this might be of great interest to me. Thanks for the link.

Get the AZ Permit instead....it's cheaper than FL and no "FL loophole"...

There is NO Florida loophole. It is an invention of the libtard politicians and the toady press. Even by their skewed definition (in the Lentz bill) it would not affect NJ residents carrying on a FL permit, only PA residents.

You had but to only see one of Lentz's pre-election campaign ads to realize how far they were willing to try and stretch credibility. They categoreically stated that a criminal, denied a PA LTCF, could get one through the mail from Florida. The factors that are codified into PA law, that would prevent the issuance of a LTCF are the same that are in the FL law. The "criminals" of which he speaks are those people denied in Philadelphia for such heinous crimes as late child support or having your guns stolen (yeah, let's kick the victim while they're down). Shall issue laws, spell out, in no uncertain terms, what precludes issuance - and it ain't traffic tickets or being a victim.

It is actually harder to obtain a FL license than a PA LTCF. Florida requires a training component in order to show competency with a firearm - PA does not. A FL license costs appx $117 vs. PA at $25.

Please stop furthering the myth of the "Florida Loophole", there is no such thing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Interesting. I've been assigned a couple of Indian tribes to work with (if I can get the deal made) and this might be of great interest to me. Thanks for the link.

For what it's worth....FL and AZ have almost identical reciprocity...so would be worth getting even if you never went to AZ.

There is NO Florida loophole. It is an invention of the libtard politicians and the toady press. Even by their skewed definition (in the Lentz bill) it would not affect NJ residents carrying on a FL permit, only PA residents.

Please stop furthering the myth of the "Florida Loophole", there is no such thing.

I am well aware of the Lentz fiasco...that why i used quotes aroud "FL loophole"... :icon_e_confused:

Be aware that while its legal to carry in philly, they apparently make up rules on the go even for PA residents with PA LTCF's. Also be aware that some people will say that you cannot carry in a school zone (not just school property but the whole 1,000' thing) because your license isnt from the state. Being in philly, everywhere is basically a school zone. You can always go with the hope that its interpreted that your license counts as a PA license as far as that law goes.

Sadly Philly still hasnt recovered from the Frank Rizzo days, whhere they basically declared themselves independant of the rest of the state, and Rizzo was poweerful enough Politically that he pretty much got away with it.

I have a somewhat odd, but related (I think), question. How exactly does one go about getting their legally transported gun holstered and concealed? Do you discretely go to your trunk and unpack everything and holster up? Obviously, I'm not referring to someone that's going to a home they own in PA or something... but I often get the impression that the minute a CCW permit holder crosses the border into PA, the guns come out (so to speak)...

I have a somewhat odd, but related (I think), question. How exactly does one go about getting their legally transported gun holstered and concealed? Do you discretely go to your trunk and unpack everything and holster up? Obviously, I'm not referring to someone that's going to a home they own in PA or something... but I often get the impression that the minute a CCW permit holder crosses the border into PA, the guns come out (so to speak)...

I wondered about that transition myself..

I wondered about that transition myself..

***Our story begins one Sunday afternoon, with an idiot yuppie wannabe weekend warrior who pulls his volvo into a Pennsylvania gas station parking lot, exits the vehicle, and heads to the trunk***

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

When I know I will be carrying in a free state, I wear my IWB holster empty while I am driving and when I cross into freedom, I grab my PC bag that contains my pistol from the trunk and bring into the car and load it up. Last trip I did it in a Starbuck's bathroom as I crossed into VA. I also have a zippered daily planner that holds a standard open carry holster in the rings of the binder really well and has room for two magazines. So I just my pistol of choice from that holster and insert into my IWB and away I go.

I enjoy the irony of your actions in a West Coast Establishment of anti-gun wackos!

Uh? I think you should read this. Starbuck's Corporation takes an entirely neutral stance on gun politics and follows the laws of the state/city in which that location is.

And they told the Brady Campaign to basically get lost.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/starbucks-redux-money-talks-and-b-s-walks

• Like 1

Uh? I think you should read this. Starbuck's Corporation takes an entirely neutral stance on gun politics and follows the laws of the state/city in which that location is.

And they told the Brady Campaign to basically get lost.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/starbucks-redux-money-talks-and-b-s-walks

that's awesome!

When I know I will be carrying in a free state, I wear my IWB holster empty while I am driving and when I cross into freedom, I grab my bag that contains my pistol from the trunk and bring into the car and load it up.

i'll be doing that Sunday! :icon_e_biggrin: