flank

NCIS Delay arrrgh!

I went into dicks sporting goods to buy the NEF Pardner Protector 12ga shotgun. The guy took it out of the box and put a trigger lock on it and let me hold it and it was just awesome, it felt like it was assembled very well and was solid as a rock. There was a older gentleman working at the counter who was extremely nice and helpful and took the time to show me how to fill out the required forms, he pulled out the forms and says "alright lets start signing your life away just so you can buy a gun" lol. Then I went upfront and paid for my NCIS check and then went back to the lodge and he called in and like 3mins later told me I got delayed and DSG will call me if/when I am approved. This upset me a little bit because I filled out the forms as instructed, double checked my FID number was correct and I even put my SSN. I only own 1 other gun which is a Mosin Nagant 91/30 which I bought at the end of August of this year, purchased at Cabela's in PA with instant NCIS approval. Are the background checks randomly delayed? I can't think of ANYTHING that would make me fail the background check, anything as in: never been convicted, never had to appear in court for anything aside from jury duty, haven't been pulled over by a police officer in probably 7-8 months, never had any charges filed against me. U-G-H I hope I get called later tonight or tomorrow with an approval :icon_evil:

• Like 1

Happens,

I ve been delayed in buying in PA for 2 hours once , one other time for 30min.........

Call DSG icon_e_biggrin.gif................Never heard of anyone refer to them as that icon_e_biggrin.gif.......its almost cooler than the sign Dick`s ...............maybe they should streamline their name like Kentucky Friend Chicken did....to KFC.

Happens,

I ve been delayed in buying in PA for 2 hourse once , one other time for 30min.........

Call DSG icon_e_biggrin.gif................Never heard of anyone refer to them as that icon_e_biggrin.gif.......its almost cooler than the sign Dick`s ...............maybe they should streamline their name like Kentucky Friend Chicken did....to KFC.

wow that stinks getting delayed out of state. that would be pretty cool if they advertised as DSG only if I get some % of profits and stock options of course lol.

come to think of it, when I was purchasing my gun at Cabelas the guy said I have to put my middle initial since its included in my name on my Drivers License and FID card, and I even checked its on my SS-Card like that, so I put my initial "A" only at Cabelas, when I was filling out the forms today at DSG I only put my middle initial but the guy said "write out your full middle name" which I did. I wonder if this is why I was delayed.

Common last name perhaps? Smith, Jones, etc.. When I was at "DSG" the other night this happened to a guy in line, his last name was Thompson or something, employees claimed it happens quite a bit with common last names or if you have the same first, last as someone else in your family...

I had a two hour delay a couple of years ago buying a shotgun at Ramsey's. I felt kind of dirty. :icon_razz: I ended up driving home, and by the time I got there, there was a message from them to come back, I was cleared. It happens.

My excitement over putting a SuperNova on reserve at Cabela's just 15 minutes ago is gone now that I realize I'll most likely have this to look forward to... And being 2 hours away it's not like I can just leave and come back.

I'm not exactly sure how the NICS works, but it must be possible that the more common names take longer to process due to the extra sifting that's necessary.

I paid $15 at DSG. Did you get approved for your shotgun?

Wow, by that point I'll have put down over $80 just to be allowed to buy a firearm.

I only called to have the shotgun put on hold for me; I'm going this Saturday to buy it. Can a NICS be initiated over the phone in advance?

Wow, by that point I'll have put down over $80 just to be allowed to buy a firearm.

I only called to have the shotgun put on hold for me; I'm going this Saturday to buy it. Can a NICS be initiated over the phone in advance?

No. The check is made after you fill out the 4473.

man that would be awesome if you could do an in-store pickup like that :) order online/by phone and you get notified when your NICS clears then you go pick up your gun.

Question though, say you have a delayed NICS check going at a store for a shotgun, are you allowed to have another NICS at that same store for another gun? are you allowed to do another NICS at a different store?

man that would be awesome if you could do an in-store pickup like that :) order online/by phone and you get notified when your NICS clears then you go pick up your gun.

Question though, say you have a delayed NICS check going at a store for a shotgun, are you allowed to have another NICS at that same store for another gun? are you allowed to do another NICS at a different store?

All questions are to be answered and your signature is required prior to the check.

NICS will cover all purchases at that store until you walk out the door (dealer completes 4473) with your firearm(s). You can have another done at another store, but it won't cover the original check.

got a call from DSG this morning and I was approved for the transfer :) I wasn't worried about not getting approved I was more concerned with the time it would take to do so. DSG actually said I was approved the next day but I didn't get a call from them till today :( all is good now. When I went to pick up my shotgun I just went ahead and bought the 22lr I wanted also to save myself from an future additional NICS $$ fee and possibly the dreaded "delay". I love both guns I purchased and will most-likely buy again from DSG when the time comes.....which isn't going to be for many months according to my girlfriend :hopechange2sp6nv4-1: and since I got 2 guns today 1 has to be a Christmas present to myself from my girlfriend, and I actually have to wait till then to use it :icon_e_confused:

oh and the guy that I dealt with "Glenn" who works at the Deptford DSG is an extremely nice/cool guy. When I told him I wanted to purchase the 2 guns at once to avoid a 2nd NICS fee he says "yep I don't blame ya"

so today I got the

NEF Pardner Protector 12ga pump shotgun

Savage Mark II GXP .22lr

got a call from DSG this morning and I was approved for the transfer :) I wasn't worried about not getting approved I was more concerned with the time it would take to do so. DSG actually said I was approved the next day but I didn't get a call from them till today :( all is good now. When I went to pick up my shotgun I just went ahead and bought the 22lr I wanted also to save myself from an future additional NICS $$ fee and possibly the dreaded "delay". I love both guns I purchased and will most-likely buy again from DSG when the time comes.....which isn't going to be for many months according to my girlfriend :hopechange2sp6nv4-1: and since I got 2 guns today 1 has to be a Christmas present to myself from my girlfriend, and I actually have to wait till then to use it :icon_e_confused:

oh and the guy that I dealt with "Glenn" who works at the Deptford DSG is an extremely nice/cool guy. When I told him I wanted to purchase the 2 guns at once to avoid a 2nd NICS fee he says "yep I don't blame ya"

so today I got the

NEF Pardner Protector 12ga pump shotgun

Savage Mark II GXP .22lr

I've made a lot of purchases in NJ and PA since the NICS went into effect in the mid 90's.

Only had one check that didn't go through right away, the system went down, had to back the next day to pick up my purchases.

In NJ I've been charged anywhere from $15 to $20 (thank you Christie Whitman) with and without sales tax (I still don't understand how the state can rationalize sales tax on a NICS fee, after all this is already a tax since you are paying this "fee" to the government, even if it is indirectly).

PA dealers usually charge $5 for NICS (their cost), some don't charge for it, others have charged $10-$20 - often it can be negotiated.

I was in Kentucky 2 weeks ago, stopped in a gun shop near my hotel, they told me there is no NICS fee there.

It was a huge hassle buying from Dicks. Paying the Nice and then going back upstairs etc....

I doubt I will buy from there again. Also, different rules depending o what store and saleperson you get. I'll just stick with TJ's.

I don't disagree - however, you do the same thing at motor vehicle - pay for registration (just another tax) and pay for sales tax on the car...

Agreed, all the "fees" you pay at motor vehicle are actually taxes.

My point is they are charging sales tax on a tax. You pay sales tax on the firearm and then also on the NICS check.

It would be like paying sales tax on the car and then also on the registration.