Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Mystery missile of CA

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mystery-missile-launched-missile-off-california-coast/story?id=12097155

Most likely a launch by the US Navy, but thus far the Navy says they were not aware of any launches.

I'm betting they shot down a UFO. :icon_e_biggrin:

I have no idea nor have I talked to anybody who does (and we wouldn't discuss it over an unsecured phone of all things). But I'm going to venture to say it was a botched launch by a defense contractor. I could be totally off and it was some highly classified deterrent aimed at stopping doomsday :icon_e_geek:

Now they are calling it an "optical illusion", saying that it was an airplane and just LOOKED like a missile.

Them's guverment peoples must think we is purrty stoopid.

Of course it's an optical illusion. Just like 3/4 of BP's oil spill that "evaporated".

Mystery Solved? Missile Launch Could Be a Flying Monkey

Reuters

Published November 09, 2010

A video that appears to show a missile launch off the coast of California is so far "unexplained" by anyone in the military, an anonymous Pentagon spokesman told reporters Tuesday -- but what seems mysterious could be nothing more than a flying monkey.

Anonymous Federal officials do not consider the event a threat. And they aren't the only ones. The confusion between a missile launch and a flying monkey launch is caused by several common misconceptions, White House press secratary Robert Gibbs notes, explaining that the angle of launch, the direction of flight, and even the shape of the moon can lead to the illusion. And indeed, when you look at certain images of flying monkey launches, they do look a fair bit like missiles.

Meanwhile, an anonymous spokesman with North American Aerospace Defense Command/U.S. Northern Command, said officials are "very confident" the mystery missile "was not fired from a foreign military, that's not what we are working with.

"If it were a flying monkey attack we would have known it and we would have done something about it," the anonymous source said.

Maybe it was one of these guys taking it to the next level. http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2437/95/

Or else it was a military "oops". When I was in the USAF a crew chief in my squadron accidently fired 5 rounds from a A10's 30mm cannon. Luckily it was pointed out into the desert. The local public never knew about it. Something like this usually takes a perfect storm of several safety procedures being missed or bypassed by multiple people.

Maybe it was one of these guys taking it to the next level. http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2437/95/

Or else it was a military "oops". When I was in the USAF a crew chief in my squadron accidently fired 5 rounds from a A10's 30mm cannon. Luckily it was pointed out into the desert. The local public never knew about it. Something like this usually takes a perfect storm of several safety procedures being missed or bypassed by multiple people.

Ha! When I was at RAF Woodbridge, so long ago, two of the guys that I worked swingshift with as an ECM troop in the 91st AMU popped off about 30 rounds of chaff. THEY shoulda known better, they had to pull the pins in the wheelwells to get the steppers to fire! Nothing came of it we cleaned it up and went :icon_razz: about our business. A few weeks later some schmoes I used to work with at Bentwaters fired a half dozen flares! Luckily there was only minor paint scratches to the aircraft, but someone there told me the damn things bounced off the ground like softballs. The weapons people fired off 30mm rounds a few times, and there was one time a cluster bomb was dropped off a trailer and broke open and all the little baby bombs spilled out.

Fortunately none of that kind of stuff happened when I worked on B52s, but I did hear of people wigging out when working on aircraft that had nukes loaded.

My guess is that this is a secret launch of something, maybe by NRO or BMDO (or whatever its called these days) that is not directly connected with the military, so they can say I dunno what it is, man!

Also, note that the ash cloud from the Indonesian volcano will probably be making its way around the globe soon, maybe this has something to do with it?? :wacko:

BMDO = MDA (Missile Defense Agency), and they were actually a part of the news release. I honestly doubt they have anything to do with it because MDA relies on other means (I won't say much more then that). I also doubt its NRO or NGA for the same reasons.

our school was shot up by a war plane, the pilot accidently hit the trigger and spat off a few rounds..they would have never known until it rained but a janitor was cleaning that knight and heard them come through the roof but did not know what it was..

actually found the article..

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20041105/ai_n11482205/

LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. -- A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission strafed an elementary school with 25 rounds of ammunition, authorities said Thursday. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School in southern New Jersey shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday. The school is a few miles from a military firing range.

Police were called when a custodian who was the only person in the school heard what sounded like someone running across the roof.

Police Chief Mark Siino said officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms, and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside.

The pilot of the single-seat jet was supposed to fire at a ground target on the firing range 3 1/2 miles from the school, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, which is responsible for the range. He did not know what led to the school getting shot up.

The plane was 7,000 feet in the air when the shots were fired. The gun, an M61-A1 Vulcan cannon, is located in the plane's left wing. It fires 2-inch-long bullets that are made of lead and do not explode, said Webster.

"The National Guard takes this situation very seriously," said Lt. Col. Roberta Niedt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "The safety of our people and the surrounding communities are our foremost concern."

The jet that fired the rounds was assigned to the 113th Wing of the District of Columbia Air National Guard, based at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. The plane returned there after firing the shots, Webster said.

He would not identify the pilot or detail possible disciplinary measures.

Mike Dupuis, president of the township's Board of Education, said school workers are mindful that the firing range is nearby.

"Being so close to the range, that's always in the back of our minds. It is very scary. I have children in that school and relatives that work there," he said.

Schools in New Jersey were closed Thursday because of a teachers convention.

The 2,400-acre Warren Grove range, about 30 miles north of Atlantic City, has been used by the military since the end of World War II, long before the surrounding area was developed.

In 2002, an Air National Guard F-16 that had been practicing attacks at the range crashed along the Garden State Parkway. The plane's pilot ejected safely, and no one on the ground was hurt.

Errant practice bombs were blamed for forest fires that burned more than 11,000 acres of the Pine Barrens near the range in 1999 and more than 1,600 acres in 2002.

Copyright C 2004 Deseret News Publishing Co.

Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

I remember that happening!!

X2. I think it was eventually determined that the school hadn't actually been "strafed" but instead a couple rounds were discharged aways away that inadvertently struck the school.

I haven't heard anything from any former colleagues. If this was something serious like a foreign launch or a precursor to something more ominous, there would be more overt chatter.

As for this not being an alphabet-agency launch, I come to that conclusion based on my own experience-- meaning it very well could have been. They use different methods of delivering overheads into orbit, often time very public.

Considering that Boeing and smaller aerospace/defense contractors, as well as a large NASA presence, are all in CA, it wouldn't be surprising that it was a botched launch or maybe even a private demo (though the later of those is doubtful as private demoing can be done at more secluded locations).

Sorry I don't have a legit answer :(

our school was shot up by a war plane, the pilot accidently hit the trigger and spat off a few rounds..they would have never known until it rained but a janitor was cleaning that knight and heard them come through the roof but did not know what it was..

actually found the article..

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20041105/ai_n11482205/

LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. -- A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission strafed an elementary school with 25 rounds of ammunition, authorities said Thursday. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School in southern New Jersey shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday. The school is a few miles from a military firing range.

Police were called when a custodian who was the only person in the school heard what sounded like someone running across the roof.

Police Chief Mark Siino said officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms, and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside.

The pilot of the single-seat jet was supposed to fire at a ground target on the firing range 3 1/2 miles from the school, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, which is responsible for the range. He did not know what led to the school getting shot up.

The plane was 7,000 feet in the air when the shots were fired. The gun, an M61-A1 Vulcan cannon, is located in the plane's left wing. It fires 2-inch-long bullets that are made of lead and do not explode, said Webster.

"The National Guard takes this situation very seriously," said Lt. Col. Roberta Niedt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "The safety of our people and the surrounding communities are our foremost concern."

The jet that fired the rounds was assigned to the 113th Wing of the District of Columbia Air National Guard, based at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. The plane returned there after firing the shots, Webster said.

He would not identify the pilot or detail possible disciplinary measures.

Mike Dupuis, president of the township's Board of Education, said school workers are mindful that the firing range is nearby.

"Being so close to the range, that's always in the back of our minds. It is very scary. I have children in that school and relatives that work there," he said.

Schools in New Jersey were closed Thursday because of a teachers convention.

The 2,400-acre Warren Grove range, about 30 miles north of Atlantic City, has been used by the military since the end of World War II, long before the surrounding area was developed.

In 2002, an Air National Guard F-16 that had been practicing attacks at the range crashed along the Garden State Parkway. The plane's pilot ejected safely, and no one on the ground was hurt.

Errant practice bombs were blamed for forest fires that burned more than 11,000 acres of the Pine Barrens near the range in 1999 and more than 1,600 acres in 2002.

Copyright C 2004 Deseret News Publishing Co.

Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

Pale in comparison to this whoopseedaisy :lol::lol:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/476163/when_the_air_force_accidentally_dropped.html

You forget the BOMARC explosion in 1960 at the site off 539 in Plumsted. That STILL isn't all cleaned up, there was plutonium washed into the soil. Don't have a link handy. Also the Nike explosion in Middletown in 1956 or so, 8 were killed, there is a marker that was moved to Sandy hook years ago. NJ & you & military accidents, perfect together ;)

Big Brother has the answer!

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_16574871

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon says that an airplane and not a missile launch was the likely cause of a large vapor trail in the skies off Southern California's coast.

A CBS affiliate on Monday videotaped the vapor trail that many viewers thought resembled the cloudy track of a missile in flight. But military officials said they did not know of any rockets being launched in the area.

Defense Department spokesman Col. Dave Lapan says that officials are satisfied the phenomenon was an airplane vapor trail distorted by camera angle, winds and other environmental factors.

He says military experts studied the video and talked to all the government agencies that might have been involved in a missile launch and none reported having launched one.

Sounds like a whole bunch of:

All right, Beatrice, there was no alien. The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

--Agent Kay (Will Smith) to Beatrice, Men in Black (1997)

Actually, I'd believe the swamp gas story long before the load of horse-sh*t the Pentagon expects us to eat as their explanation.

I promise you, it wasn't an airplane. If it were a jet large enough to make a contrail that size, there would have been a flight plan filed and record of take-off from the control tower and we would have had an answer within minutes. The military already said they didn't know what it was, so it wasn't one of their planes, unless a defector stole one (a-la a few Mig pilots did during the Vietnam War and the Cold War) Last I checked, commercial aircraft didn't have afterburners capable of making the open flame you see coming from the source of the trail.

What makes me the angriest is all the news corporations are accepting this answer and broadcasting it as a fact. It's a sad day when they just eat whatever the Government puts in front of them and don't even report it with a hint of questioning.

The guy from Jane's Missiles and Rockets says it was a missile. If that guy can't tell, I don't know who would. There are lots of other people that would know and are saying the same thing. It's not an aircraft.

-----

But Expert Interviewed by London Newspaper Is Sure It Was; Mystery of California Contrail Continues

November 10, 2010

More than a day after a CBS camera caught video of an unidentified projectile leaving a condensation trail off the California coast, the situation remains a mystery, with the Defense Department insisting that it was not a missile.

The Pentagon is still not sure what that was in the sky off the coast of California -- except that it was not a missile fired by the U.S. or some other country, reports CBS News Pentagon correspondent David Martin.

The video of what looks for all the world like the contrail of a missile was shot Monday evening by KCBS cameraman Gil Leyvas from a news helicopter over Los Angeles.

"I saw a big plume coming up, rising from looked like beyond the horizon and it continued to grow," Leyvas said.

He zoomed his camera in and stayed on it for about 10 minutes. To him it looked like an incoming missile.

"It was unique. It was moving," he said. "It was growing in the sky."

The Pentagon spends billions of dollars a year making sure it is never surprised by a missile launch - so finding out what the camera saw became a top priority. Both the Navy and the Air Force insisted they had not launched any missiles and the North American Air Defense Command - which is supposed to track incoming missiles - declared it had not been fired by any other military. But nobody could say what it was.

But Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London and said he was left with little doubt.

"It’s a solid propellant missile," he told the Times. "You can tell from the efflux [smoke]."

Richardson said it could have been a ballistic missile launched from a submarine or an interceptor, the defensive anti-missile weapon used by Navy surface ships.

The Twitterati had a field day Tuesday, tweeting comments like "Can someone please tell me how our Department of Defense has no idea who launched a missile from California's coast?"; "So nobody in our government or military knows? Scary."; and "If you misplaced a missile off the coast of California, the U.S. government would like to have a few words with you."

The Federal Aviation Administration did not receive any reports of a missile from other pilots in the area or track any unusually fast objects. The Air Defense Command determined the object was not traveling fast enough or have a big enough exhaust plume to be a military missile.

The best guess right now is that it was either an airliner or an amateur rocket, but we may never know for certain.