EvolutionX

So I got denied. For a incident as a Juvenile.

Here's my long trip through the process of trying to apply for a permit and FID.

Had my application filled and handed in along with references, fingerprinted twice(once at PD and once at Morpho), and told by the detective at my PD that he would be contacting me soon. This was all between late-July and Sept. Late Sept, I got married and went on my honeymoon for 2 weeks so after I returned I contacted the detective since I didn't yet receive a reply.

The detective told me that he never received responses from my references(despite one of them personally bringing it to the PD, lives 2 blocks away). I politely ask if he could resend the letters and if I can personally bring them in. He tells me that he would send them out but that he "preferred" they be mailed.

References get their letters. I tell them to fill them out and seal them in an envelope, that I would personally bring them to him so they don't end up "missing".

I go to the PD late October and personally hand the sealed envelopes to the detective and he tells me that I would hear from him soon.

So fast foward to two days ago, I receive a letter from the Dept of Public Safety which states that I was being denied because of a "criminal record" from a 1998 arrest.

Rewind back to 1998. I (15 at the time) was with my brother(13 at the time) riding around our bikes in the next town. We pull into a empty field behind an old building and there was a what-looked abandoned car trailer parked in the tall grass & weeds. Us being young(and dumb I guess) decided to check out what was inside since it looked abandoned. It was an old race-car trailer with a bunch of really old photos and race-related equipment looking to be dated from the late-80s or something.

Next thing you know, here comes a cop car and arrests us. Turns out they track down the owner and we're in trouble.

We ended up having to go to court and I think(it's been a while and I was too young to remember the details) they charged us with tresspassing & theft. The theft was a bogus charge as the owner came out with this ridiculous list of "missing" items. The Judge new these claims were bogus as we were on a set of bikes and it was impossible that we took that stuff. One of the items I will always remember was a chainsaw. LoL. We were on BMXs. How could we possibly?

Anyway, to shorten it up...we settle and the Judge gives us a year of probation and a huge fine.

We were supposed to have these records Expunged at the age of 18 according to our Judge.

Fast foward back to present day. Why is this even coming up as an issue when applying for a firearm permit & FID? It wasn't armed robbery or anything. We were kids in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I now have 30 days to appeal the decision. And there is NO WAY in hell I am not going to put my tail between my legs and cower away like a dog.

This state seems to get more and more aggrivating.

Can anyone here offer any advice on what I should do?

Fast foward back to present day. Why is this even coming up as an issue when applying for a firearm permit & FID? It wasn't armed robbery or anything. We were kids in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"They" don't know you were kids in the wrong place at the wrong time making a stupid decision. They just know the charges on your history and the outcome of those charges.

I would say time for an attorney to help you rectify your criminal history issues.

Guest megaman

Here's my long trip through the process of trying to apply for a permit and FID.

Had my application filled and handed in along with references, fingerprinted twice(once at PD and once at Morpho), and told by the detective at my PD that he would be contacting me soon. This was all between late-July and Sept. Late Sept, I got married and went on my honeymoon for 2 weeks so after I returned I contacted the detective since I didn't yet receive a reply.

The detective told me that he never received responses from my references(despite one of them personally bringing it to the PD, lives 2 blocks away). I politely ask if he could resend the letters and if I can personally bring them in. He tells me that he would send them out but that he "preferred" they be mailed.

References get their letters. I tell them to fill them out and seal them in an envelope, that I would personally bring them to him so they don't end up "missing".

I go to the PD late October and personally hand the sealed envelopes to the detective and he tells me that I would hear from him soon.

So fast foward to two days ago, I receive a letter from the Dept of Public Safety which states that I was being denied because of a "criminal record" from a 1998 arrest.

Rewind back to 1998. I (15 at the time) was with my brother(13 at the time) riding around our bikes in the next town. We pull into a empty field behind an old building and there was a what-looked abandoned car trailer parked in the tall grass & weeds. Us being young(and dumb I guess) decided to check out what was inside since it looked abandoned. It was an old race-car trailer with a bunch of really old photos and race-related equipment looking to be dated from the late-80s or something.

Next thing you know, here comes a cop car and arrests us. Turns out they track down the owner and we're in trouble.

We ended up having to go to court and I think(it's been a while and I was too young to remember the details) they charged us with tresspassing & theft. The theft was a bogus charge as the owner came out with this ridiculous list of "missing" items. The Judge new these claims were bogus as we were on a set of bikes and it was impossible that we took that stuff. One of the items I will always remember was a chainsaw. LoL. We were on BMXs. How could we possibly?

Anyway, to shorten it up...we settle and the Judge gives us a year of probation and a huge fine.

We were supposed to have these records Expunged at the age of 18 according to our Judge.

I now have 30 days to appeal the decision. And there is NO WAY in hell I am not going to put my tail between my legs and cower away like a dog.

This state seems to get more and more aggrivating.

No doubt you should seek legal help.

Haha, sorry. I didn't mean it that way.

I meant that the pictures looked very dated(colors, clothes people were wearing) for that time.

Stop. Right. Now. You're digging yourself a bigger hole. I don't just remember the 80's - part of me is still stuck there.

:blink:

Stop. Right. Now. You're digging yourself a bigger hole. I don't just remember the 80's - part of me is still stuck there.

Hell my iPod is now housing all the "vintage" stuff that the kids I work with like to check out for "cool stuff they never heard." :blink:

Would it make sense to join anjrpc and utilize one of the legal services they offer? Kind of a 2 fold action, joining a good group and getting proper legal advise from a professional? I haven't used any of their legal services, so I can't attest to the benefits.. maybe someone that has can chime in?

People have said lawyer up but I just can't justify that expense. Expungement plus appeal and you could be talking $2000-3000.

Seems to me that the local PD will just deny for any reason they can find and figure if you want the permit bad enough, you'll go and appeal it and fight for it.

I was denied for a 26 year old disorderly persons offense. I chose expungement which is due to conclude around the end of the year and reapply for my permit. In hindsight, I think I should have appealed it right off.

People have said lawyer up but I just can't justify that expense. Expungement plus appeal and you could be talking $2000-3000.

Seems to me that the local PD will just deny for any reason they can find and figure if you want the permit bad enough, you'll go and appeal it and fight for it.

I was denied for a 26 year old disorderly persons offense. I chose expungement which is due to conclude around the end of the year and reapply for my permit. In hindsight, I think I should have appealed it right off.

That's the first time I've heard of someone denied for disorderly conduct. Let me ask, were you denied because of omission?

Deep breath here. You can do the expungement yourself. It's really just procedure and a lot of patience. Read the expungement PDF I posted, print out the forms and go for it. I know a couple of people that did it, and they laugh at what lawyers charge, because with a bit of patience, you could do it yourself.

My disorderly was resisting arrest by not immediately stopping my car when the state trooper pulled me over for speeding. The local PD said it wasn't in the public interest for me to have a permit.

Actually, I did forget to put it down on the application but it seemed to be a 6 month disorderly so I think I was accurate to write "no" as the application asks if there is an offense with possible sentence over 6 months.