CageFighter

Mossberg 500 Tactical shotties?

im looking for a HD shottie. thinkin the Moss 500 Tactical, PN 50420. it has the adj stock, pistol grip, strap under the forearm & 18.5 barrel. i like the size of the 500 w/ the adj stock closed, since I got over just a pistol grip from a previous post.

i saw a Moss 500 this weekend @ the gunshow and regret not buying it. this one had a breacher at the end of the barrel. cant see it online anywhere & i didnt get the guys card.

please chime in with your comments...

You know I was thinking about doing the same exact thing as KRDSRK with my 500. Its my HD gun. The only time it wont be used for HD is when I am messing around at the range with it. I have another gun for hunting. However I don't know if it's a good idea. Let's say I actually do shoot an intruder with it. First off, they are prob going to die. There are 5 3" Double O buck shells in the tube. I think one would do the job but who knows. If they live then they are either very lucky or very tough. So lets say they do die.

My shotgun is getting confiscated. Let's say it goes to a trial. I think I would rather have a stock 500 then one thats all tacticalled out. Jury sees that and instantly sees me as trigger happy wanna be. Not good in my eyes.

I will be adding a light to it though.

My shotgun is getting confiscated. Let's say it goes to a trial. I think I would rather have a stock 500 then one thats all tacticalled out. Jury sees that and instantly sees me as trigger happy wanna be.

This is Jersey. It would be too late. They'll confiscate ALL of your firearms until after the trial. They'll show all of it to the jury and paint you as a "trigger happy gun nut".

it comes STOCK with all the bells & whistles, cheap price too! (no mods needed)

If you really like it I would switch the trigger group with a Maverick 88 trigger group which will have a crossbolt safety and be easier to manipulate with your shooting hand. Disabel the tang safety of course. I have an 88 trigger group I am not using too, if you decide to go that route. Just my preferences.

You know I was thinking about doing the same exact thing as KRDSRK with my 500. Its my HD gun. The only time it wont be used for HD is when I am messing around at the range with it. I have another gun for hunting. However I don't know if it's a good idea. Let's say I actually do shoot an intruder with it. First off, they are prob going to die. There are 5 3" Double O buck shells in the tube. I think one would do the job but who knows. If they live then they are either very lucky or very tough. So lets say they do die.

My shotgun is getting confiscated. Let's say it goes to a trial. I think I would rather have a stock 500 then one thats all tacticalled out. Jury sees that and instantly sees me as trigger happy wanna be. Not good in my eyes.

I will be adding a light to it though.

If you don't mind sharing, why is your shotgun being confiscated?

Look at the Mossberg website for the models. If you want a shotgun for purely HD/Tactical situations, I would look for the Mossberg 500 Persuader models. Shotguns with a pistol grip only will be different than aiming a shotgun with a stock. I would check with the forum vendors for prices first.

I just upgraded my shotty minus the Trijicon. Not sure it will be any better than the mossy 500 it replaced but not being a shotty guy, having no aiming indexes was f'ing me up :)

100_2970.jpg

Shane,

REALLY Neat gun!!......how does this compare with the standard 500? Is this just a modified 500? Where to find the best price for one like this?

Incidentally, what is the Trijicon?

Spectre

I dont think they import the TPS anymore. Last ones I saw were in CDNN's catalog.

Or http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215254078

weak sauce! and they basically want full retail for a used one.. i guess you gotta suck it up if you really want it.

Does anyone have trouble with "only the pistol grip" ? Where can I test fire / rent one? Are there any good ranges for the 500 in South Jersey?

Spectre

i bought and currently own a 12 gauge mossberg persuader 500 series pump with only the pistol grip attached. i figured i would share my insight as it may be useful to you. first off, i love my shotgun. it has never failed me at the range with jams or the such and just looks sleek. now, i also bought mine for home defense, and decided to go with the 12 gauge for power and pistol grip for compactness and movement ease. i also prefer the pg as opposed to the full stock since on my 12 gauge the full stock hurts my shoulder more than the pistol grip hurts my hand. i can honestly say that firing one does not hurt whatsoever. i have seen postings about people bashing pg shotguns and sharing stories of spraining or braking hands or wrists, please dont listen to them or make them scare you. is it possible to cause injury to yourself firing a gun? of course - if it is not held properly or your stance is wrong. however the trick is to keep a 90 degree angle at the elbow. keep your hand, wrist, and forearm straight and tight (almost like making a muscle), hold on tight to the gun, and to be ready for the kick. my 12 gauge has a pretty mean kick; does not hurt, just is powerful - which i actually like. i shot about 48 birdshots with no problem, and then about 30 buckshots with no problem. have not shot slugs yet since some ranges i go to dont allow them for some reason. while firing the gun, i had no discomfort, zero. right after firing i have to say my palm was beat red and felt warm but went away about 20 minutes later. the next day i was able to feel a very slight sore palm muscle, right under my thumb where the kick would cause the grip to hit. this lasted about 2 days and gradually got duller and duller. will this stop me from shooting it? no. it is perfectly fine to shoot as long as you have SOME degree of muscle and body weight and to put a little more weight on your forward foot so you dont get off-balance with the recoil. just dont be afraid of it and theres nothing wrong with it. i ordered mine from like... washington state from sportsman center in bordentown nj. and i have never seen a pg shotgun available for rent at my ranges but that may be just my area. if you see someone shooting one at the range ask them if you could fire a few shells. most guys at the range enjoy shooting each others guns from my experience.

Similar to mine?

Mossberg500.jpg

I bought this from junkmanted. Not sure which stock it has but it's nice smile.gif

I love shooting it!

I love this gun, and the one above me. Minus the stock and light.