kenw

Are there any shooting leagues in NJ?

While I've been doing research for the the various projects I've been working on, it occurred to me that I've never seen any reference to any sort of shooting leagues in the state.

You know, like bowling leagues. With teams that compete against each other over the course of a fixed season.

I may have missed it, but if there isn't any such thing, what would it take to start something like that up? Anyone here ever organize anything like a bowling league?

Would it be feasible to do something like that within the shooting community? I have no idea how such things are organized. It's been a hundred years since I've bowled, and even longer since I've been involved in a league, and I was just a kid then and really had no idea how it was set up and run.

Someone smarter and more experienced than I am (nearly anyone) may want to weigh in on this. Could it work?

My mother shoots in a league @ SCFGPA. I don't know the name of it though.

j0n,

If you can, try and get some details on the league. Maybe we could set up something a little more formal than the casual meetups among the forum people. Could be fun.

j0n,

If you can, try and get some details on the league. Maybe we could set up something a little more formal than the casual meetups among the forum people. Could be fun.

Yea I already emailed her. Should know by later today.

One of my techs shoots in a league in Riverdale....

Franklin Revolver & Rifle Association has Sunday morning league shooting.

If anyone can get details about how the leagues are set up, how they handicap the various sports, etc. maybe we could set something up. Do any of the leagues have web sites?

Cherry Ridge has a High Power League. Look on the calendar to see. Ed Demsey used to run it.

I've shot it a number of times and is loosely based on the NRA 80 shot match but they do 50 and are a little looser on the spotter being able to coach on the shot. Not a team event just individuals shooting against each other. You scores will count towards your ranking in the NRA Classification.

There is a league over at cjrpc. I saw something about it. might be a kids league.

There's a women's league too but I think it's more of a informal group of shooters. Not a league of shooters who travel to compete against other teams. I'll look into it. I have the contact information for one of the guys who runs it.

Rhere is a Tri-County high Power Rifle League in Southern NJ. I used to shoot with SJSC. Every Sunday we would shoot a match at our range or another teams range. At the end of the season there would be a banquet and prizes for teams and individuals. This is based on the NRA High Power Rules, and targets could be used for NRA ranking.

I have a friend who used to do a Skeet league but I don't know all the details. I do know he shot at Ft Dix a number of times.

I would be interested in a high power league just not on Sundays. I'd also be interested in a pistol league, somethig like a bianchi competition perhaps. A rimfire league would also be cool.

The NRA has a number of books for shooting competitions. Decide what type of gun you want to shoot and what distance you want to do it at and let us know. I'd be availabe to help.

It looks like most, if not all, of the leagues are sort of informal groups supported in some way by a single range or facility. I have no idea how a "traveling" league would work, with fixed teams playing both home games and away games. It would be nice to have teams in a variety of disciplines, since everyone enjoys different sports.

The more I think about it, the more my brain hurts.

I just don't know enough about the logistics to think it through any further than that, but it seems like something that could be fun, and that would draw the shooting community a little closer together.

In any case, the season is soon over, so there's plenty of time to play with the idea for next year.

CJRPC has a rimfire league and pistol league. Not sure what the season length is, as someone else mentioned there's the Jr. League going on now, at the indoor on Thu nites. The pistol league was on Thur nites also, at the outdoor. Strictly bullseye shooting. There may be skeet/trapleagues also,ceck the website & contact the folks that run the events.

BH vs SS vs BA?

That's what I'm talking about!

We got Bayonne and Cherry Ridge and Central Jersey and Fort Dix and a whole bunch more! Now, how to set this up? And who's on what team?

Ok this sounds interesting. But what will the "league" consist of? What shooting disciplines? What will the course of fire be like? Rules? Handicapping? Long guns, pistols, or shotgun? Level playing field so that there is not griping over gun x vs gun y? Logistics? And how do you keep it from not being boring? I have shot bullseye, Tri-county (bulleyes light)and PPC. All of which were insanely boring, but can be somehow modified into a team event or league.

Ok this sounds interesting. But what will the "league" consist of? What shooting disciplines? What will the course of fire be like? Rules? Handicapping? Long guns, pistols, or shotgun? Level playing field so that there is not griping over gun x vs gun y? Logistics? And how do you keep it from not being boring? I have shot bullseye, Tri-county (bulleyes light)and PPC. All of which were insanely boring, but can be somehow modified into a team event or league.

I don't know... but at least we're thinking about it and trying to make some sense of the logistics involved. That's a step forward. A small step, but something.

A statewide, multi-discipline shooting league has almost certainly never been tried in NJ before. No history to look back at. We're thinking about plowing new ground.

How do they handicap players in bowling or pool leagues? How do they solicit sponsor support? So many questions... If only we had an official NJGF Community Organizer who could investigate further.

Bowling handicaps are generally calculated from the first games in the league - you bowl a game and that's your "target" score. Which can be good or bad, especially if you have an exceptional game the first time around. That has happened to me, personally - screwed up my season.