shazbot

Picked up a Sig Pro 2022

So on Monday I picked up a new Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm and thought I'd share as it's not that popular. I guess it's kind of the bastard child of the Sig lineup. They were going to cancel it this year, probably in favor of their other polymer pistol, the P250, but it got brought back. I wanted a 9mm and always liked shooting Sigs in my childhood, and for <$500 this was an affordable option into the Sig world. After I had placed the order and waited 2 months for my permits, I was curious what was going to come in the box. I had read online about them coming with different combinations of mags, finishes, int/ext extractors, LCI, backstraps - not that I would care too too much about what I got. This model came with only 1 mag in the box (boo... so I picked up another), Llaflon finish (I think) and no extra backstrap. The 9mm mags are 15 rounds, so no worry about not being NJ-compliant.

DQF1I.jpg

I've always liked Sigs, I remember enjoying shooting my Dad's P226 and P220 over 15 years ago because of the nice trigger pull. I really like this trigger and think it still has that same 'Sig' feel I remember - very smooth. The grip takes some getting used to coming from a 1911, as the slide release and decocker are where I normally put my thumb. Not sure why the release was made so big. The sights are standard (non-night) and have a dot on the front and single white line down the middle on the rear - not too crazy about this setup, so I might need to upgrade these later. (I think my rear line is not very centered - looks off to the left to me) After 250 rounds, I left the range happy with my purchase. Had 2 stovepipes in the first 50 rounds, had no troubles after that (maybe it was the 30 year old ammo I was using up).

lrGCm.jpg

I picked up a Sig STL-900L light for $90 to go with it. A bit bulky but is bright, mounts solidly, has a strobe mode and a laser behind the glass. The laser is actuated by the red button, so it's not easily accessible with your index finger like the light buttons.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading the forum and wanted to share. If I get my butt out to a meet-up anyone is free to check it out and put some rounds through it.

A little off topic...I was looking at purchasing the P250 and a neighbor who is the head tactical officer / SWAT team leader for a very problem prone Hudson County town advised against it. His bleeds Sig Blue so for him to advise against the P250 I found surprising. Their department was considering the modular P250 for on duty / off duty flexibility. But the overly long trigger pull was a no go for them. He equated it to a revolver pull for every round. It was smooth, crisp and predictable, but was loooong. The 2022 looks to be another nice offering from Sig. Sigs are THE weapon of choice in the EP field world wide for good reason. Me, my next pistol is going to be a 45 Sig...I like making bigger holes what can I say?

The 2022 is the most underated SIG ever produced. They have good triggers, work every time and are accurate. Large though compared to a G19 or S&W MP. I dont think they are produced anymore, but there are plenty of old/new stock out there.

Wojo... do yourself a favor and go try a 250 out. It does have a revolver like trigger by design, which is not an issue if you were trained on or like revolvers. The gun itself is over all a very good design, simple, tough and handy. People love to express their opinions, like I just did, but my advice is go see what works for you and what you like. You may love the 250... you may hate the 220s size and crappy trigger release. You might be more comfortable with a HK45 or a 1911 someday... stay flexible.

My own example... I hate glocks... yet I have owned in order the following handguns the last five being the only survivors in my safe. You eventually find what you like and keep them... but dont discount anything on hearsay. Find what works for you. Learn from an old mans mistakes...

SW 66

BHP

CZ85

Springer 1911 Loaded

Beretta 92FS

Ruger Bearcat

Walther P22

SW 6903

SW 1076

HK 45C

SW M19

XD40

FN BHP

Walther P99

G23

SIG 226

SW 617

CZP01

Beretta 92C

SIG 228

Springer 1911 Loaded Commander

Taurus Pt92

CZ PCR

Walther P99 (again)

SW MP 9mm

SIG P220

*G19

*G20

*SW M19

*SW M14 K

*Ruger 22/45

The 2022 is the most underated SIG ever produced. They have good triggers, work every time and are accurate. Large though compared to a G19 or S&W MP. I dont think they are produced anymore, but there are plenty of old/new stock out there.

Wojo... do yourself a favor and go try a 250 out. It does have a revolver like trigger by design, which is not an issue if you were trained on or like revolvers. The gun itself is over all a very good design, simple, tough and handy. People love to express their opinions, like I just did, but my advice is go see what works for you and what you like. You may love the 250... you may hate the 220s size and crappy trigger release. You might be more comfortable with a HK45 or a 1911 someday... stay flexible.

My own example... I hate glocks... yet I have owned in order the following handguns the last five being the only survivors in my safe. You eventually find what you like and keep them... but dont discount anything on hearsay. Find what works for you. Learn from an old mans mistakes...

SW 66

BHP

CZ85

Springer 1911 Loaded

Beretta 92FS

Ruger Bearcat

Walther P22

SW 6903

SW 1076

HK 45C

SW M19

XD40

FN BHP

Walther P99

G23

SIG 226

SW 617

CZP01

Beretta 92C

SIG 228

Springer 1911 Loaded Commander

Taurus Pt92

CZ PCR

Walther P99 (again)

SW MP 9mm

SIG P220

*G19

*G20

*SW M19

*SW M14 K

*Ruger 22/45

That's a lotta handguns you went through!

btw. I also bought a SIG 2022 on GB, not yet in possession (PP wait), so no opinions yet ...

Radek... the funny thing is the keepers were mostly bought early in my gun life... G19 was fifth.... G20 was 8th.... 22/45 was 9th....M19 was 10th.... M14 was late... matter of fact it was second to last.

You try them out... you like or dont like and you move on. Funny thing is how your tastes mature or change. That is when you find out what works for you as a shooter.

axeman, thanks for sharing your handgun history with us and addressing the opinion shared to me about the P250.

I like short triggers, a personal choice. I am quite happy with my 1911's, in particular my SA loaded operator MC, which is my primary carry when out of state. If the opportunity presents itself, I'll shoot a 250. I have a Springfield XD45 and think the trigger is marginal, but the trigger reset is entirely too long. I have had a couple of revolvers in my early 20's and stopped buying them because of the trigger pull. I didn't need to buy a dozen different guns to figure out my likes and dislikes. I've shot agency Glocks and shoot them pretty good, but do not like them, at all. I am still leaning towards a 1911 Sig as my next sidearm. I've been fortunate to have researched and bought well and the result has been only selling a few over my thirty years of shooting. YMMV.

I have the p250 and love it. Very ergonomic and smooth. My buddy is a cop so he is use to glocks and also has a hk but he loved the gun too. He kept wanting to shoot it. I went with the .40 compact. If ever in the Salem county area let me know and you can take it for a test drive. The trigger does take getting use to but once you learn it it's nice.