Soju

AR-15 Upper Receiver

I'm looking for some opinions on a NJ legal complete upper receiver. I'm looking for an A3 design flattop style, barrel chambered for 5.56, chrome lined, 1/7 twist. Mid-length gas system, M4 feed ramps would be preferred. I really don't know much about AR's, and want a completed upper that is already Jersey legal. I don't want to have to modify the barrel, or grind off any bayonet lugs. I plan on building my own lower. As little as I know about AR's in general, I know even less about BUIS's and the different variations (ie. flip-up, fixed) and how they work when you have optics mounted. I'd like to run a RDS on it, but of course some irons sights are always nice to have.

Any recommendations?

Do you want a traditional upper w/ a front sight base? The only vendor I can think of that has the option of making the upper NJ-compliant prior to shipping is Spikes Tactical, with this possibly being what you're looking for: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_134&products_id=392

That is pretty much the type of upper you have described, and includes the front sight base. I don't own a Spikes upper, but I've heard good remarks regarding their quality.

Otherwise you could consider any type of free-floated type upper as they utilize gas blocks, and, normally, no front sight base with bayonet lugs. BCM offers their 14.5'' uppers with a choice of permanently attached [NJ-complaint] muzzle devices if you're looking for a bit more variety: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-14-5-Mid-Length-Group-s/135.htm

As long as the upper is free-floated and has no front sight base, there is no bayonet lug (I confirmed this first-hand with them). The muzzle devices that would make the upper legal length by Federal law (and state law of course) that are NJ-compliant are: PWS FSC556 and Battle Comp BC 1.5 (not completely sure regarding the PWS SM556). These devices, as stated, are permanently attached, and would need no further work on your part.

BCM does NOT have these options with any other types of uppers they sell, only the 14.5'' models. I'm a big fan of BCM, and stand by their products.

There are other companies out there as well that may provide customization to their uppers prior to being shipped-- however this can only be confirmed by contacting them. Sorry if this only seems like a sliver of info, but I have to admit there are almost too many manufacturers to list (even with the parameters you've named). I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.

As for BUIS and optics, well... flip up sights are nice and have a certain "coolness" factor. However, if you're running a 1X optic (like a red dot or holographic weapon sight), I would recommend running fixed BUIS, like: http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=177 (also sold separately if you only need the rear). Larue and LMT, off the top of my head, also sell fixed BUIS. Its recommended because it takes away any need to slap the BUIS to activate them if need be. As for folding BUIS, there are countless types on the market (if listed, this post would be even more unnecessarily long :icon_razz:).

Hope that helps for now, and welcome to the AR community B)

I wouldn't dismiss the option of having a non-NJ compliant upper shipped from the manufacturer to a shop that does gunsmithing, have them perform the work to make it NJ-compliant and then shipping it to you.

It's more time, expense and a little more coordination, but it opens up your options to just about any non-NFA upper out there. Get the exact upper, front sight/gas block and muzzle device you want without having to settle.

I wouldn't dismiss the option of having a non-NJ compliant upper shipped from the manufacturer to a shop that does gunsmithing, have them perform the work to make it NJ-compliant and then shipping it to you.

It's more time, expense and a little more coordination, but it opens up your options to just about any non-NFA upper out there. Get the exact upper, front sight/gas block and muzzle device you want without having to settle.

You wouldn't even have to have it shipped to them, you can just order it online to your house, the features are only illegal when paired with a lower, since the upper isn't considered the firearm, There are tons of good uppers out there, nj legal and not, but it only takes about 80 bucks to make a non legal upper legal. Shave the bayo lug, and attach the muzzle break.

You wouldn't even have to have it shipped to them, you can just order it online to your house, the features are only illegal when paired with a lower, since the upper isn't considered the firearm, There are tons of good uppers out there, nj legal and not, but it only takes about 80 bucks to make a non legal upper legal. Shave the bayo lug, and attach the muzzle break.

I could be wrong but I don't think any company will ship anything that is non NJ compliant to a residential address. How are they to know that you aren't just going to slap it on a lower that you already own.

I could be wrong but I don't think any company will ship anything that is non NJ compliant to a residential address. How are they to know that you aren't just going to slap it on a lower that you already own.

It's only illegal when paired with one of the other options, so yeah if they ship out an upper with a bayonet lug and a threaded barrel there may be an issue. However just like you said how are they to know that the lower will not have a pistol grip? It's at there discretion, when i was trying to order my pistol they wouldnt send it to NJ because of the 17rd clips, even tho i specifically said my ffl would dispose of them, there wasn't really a legal issue there, but they just wouldnt ship it for what ever reason. So if the upper has only one of the things on the list, it should be 100% legal, what ever lower u use is up to you and its your responsibility to make sure its legal.

Just for an example, you buy adjustable stocks in NJ, even though there illegal on an AR or rifle with a pistol grip. Since the lower is the only FFl required part, thats really the only part that gets heavily scrutinized. People build there own AR's all the time, order threaded barrels and gas blocks with bayo lugs, they get them smithed and legalized, and then complete the build. i guess you wont know until you try. Most sites you will look at to purchase usually state what states they will not ship to, i've never seen NJ on a list tho.

http://www.smartgunner.com/danieldefenseliteurg.aspx

Build your own NJ Compliant AR Upper...

I was planning on buying:

14.5" bbl with midlength and low-profile gas block. DD Lite Rail 10.0. BCG, and charging handle.

Maybe get the lower and LPK too.... maybe.

I'm looking for some opinions on a NJ legal complete upper receiver. I'm looking for an A3 design flattop style, barrel chambered for 5.56, chrome lined, 1/7 twist. Mid-length gas system, M4 feed ramps would be preferred. I really don't know much about AR's, and want a completed upper that is already Jersey legal. I don't want to have to modify the barrel, or grind off any bayonet lugs. I plan on building my own lower. As little as I know about AR's in general, I know even less about BUIS's and the different variations (ie. flip-up, fixed) and how they work when you have optics mounted. I'd like to run a RDS on it, but of course some irons sights are always nice to have.

Any recommendations?

PK Firearms has these two AWB Compliant uppers. I bought the M4 upper and love it. All Bushmaster with a RRA BCG.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Assault_Weapon_Ban_Compliant_Uppers/54/c

If you need a place to ship to that will do gunsmithing, paterson gunsmithing accepts non-legal AR's and will make it legal. I called a bunch of places in North Jersey and they were one of the only ones i could find.

On another note, i just ordered a AWB compliant AR from Rock River Arms, i believe they sell AWB uppers and will ship to your house, you can customize your order with them too. There are a ton of options out there.