Wojo

Holy Grail Sought - Carbine and Handgun that uses same mags

I am trying to find out if there is a carbine and handgun that uses the same magazine. I was hoping the HK 45c and the USC did, but HK told me they didn't. I know the CX4 Storm uses the same mag as the cougar, but I'm NOT (oops forgot to add) sold on Beretta's customer service or the cougar's platform. Does Sig have anything that I am missing from their rifle products. I'll keep rubbing my magic lamp until I run out of resources. BTW, it has to be from a serious MilSpec company, not some Taurus or other lesser quality crap.

Im sure you will stumble upon the TDI Kriss as it uses Glock mags. I have concerns about the field worthiness of the Kriss, however. For a range gun its fine. But for real use, I have concerns about its reliability. Specifically its ability to eject a live round. I have found it has trouble doing this. Its my opinion that they did not leave enough tolerance slack with the bolt and a cartridge rim AND the extractor is very stiff. I believe this is the cause of it leaving the live round in the chamber when you try and eject it.

But if I had to have this commonality.... the Kriss is probably what I would pick. Not many options out there for a same mag solution.

I know the CX4 Storm uses the same mag as the cougar, but I'm sold on Beretta's customer service or the cougar's platform.

I don't understand this part of your post.. to avoid making this post and a followup post the CX4 has been without question one of the easiest to shoot firearms I have ever shot.. it is small.. light.. commonality in ammunition and mags... incredibly accurate even with the basic folding sights it comes with.. has yet to fail a single time..

My bad, I meant to say Beretta's customer service sucks nuts.

It isn't the Storm that's the problem, but the Cougar isn't really a good option for a compact side arm. I want more then 8 rounds for a 45acp carbine. I might settle on 40 S&W, but the 40 isn't that common overseas and is a concern. 9mm is out of the equation and I'll 40 if I have to. The Cougar also has a front sight that will catch on everything on no rail to mount any lights on. If I can by 20+ round mags overseas for the Storm I might go that option. God knows it is a lot less then the HK carbine. But, the HK has a bunch of ways to modify it.

I am honestly looking to buy a couple of each for work and personal protection in India. The plan is to leave them there and keeping a set here state side to avoid having to bring them back and forth. I have to get a budget ready and am doing my research on everything. I have a meeting on Monday about some secure office space there and quite honestly, will have a micro bunker within a secure facility. The carbine stays in the hotel / office and the pistol goes everywhere including the shower.

What kills me is the friggin magazine costs for HK, what are they gold? 60 beans a pop is nuts.

My bad, I meant to say Beretta's customer service sucks nuts.

It isn't the Storm that's the problem, but the Cougar isn't really a good option for a compact side arm. I want more then 8 rounds for a 45acp carbine. I might settle on 40 S&W, but the 40 isn't that common overseas and is a concern. 9mm is out of the equation and I'll 40 if I have to. The Cougar also has a front sight that will catch on everything on no rail to mount any lights on. If I can by 20+ round mags overseas for the Storm I might go that option. God knows it is a lot less then the HK carbine. But, the HK has a bunch of ways to modify it.

I am honestly looking to buy a couple of each for work and personal protection in India. The plan is to leave them there and keeping a set here state side to avoid having to bring them back and forth. I have to get a budget ready and am doing my research on everything. I have a meeting on Monday about some secure office space there and quite honestly, will have a micro bunker within a secure facility. The carbine stays in the hotel / office and the pistol goes everywhere including the shower.

What kills me is the friggin magazine costs for HK, what are they gold? 60 beans a pop is nuts.

if you can get past potential availability issues of the 40S&W I think it is a good round.. good luck with the search!

I figured my search was going to wind up at a dead end. 9mm is just not going to happen and after my visit tentative visit in a couple of months I'll find out just how available 40 is. I wonder if there are any euro / commie calibers I haven't considered.

I wonder if there are any other bull-pup designs out there I am missing.

I've seen ar carbines using glock 17 mags in the last 3-gun match at OBRPC.

I think Olympic Arms is one of the manufacturers.

As others have posted, there are also kel-tek, as well as Mech-Tech, Oly doesnt make the Glock-mag lowers anymore, now their Pistol Caliober R's use a proprietary magazine. There WAS another company making Glock-Mag AR's but i cant remember who it was. It was a small maker not one of the major ones.

I do appreciate the suggestions. There are lots of options in 9mm, but that caliber isn't even in the mix. I'd go paintball before 9mm...well maybe not that far.

As you might have guessed, I not a 9mm fan. The more air in, the more blood out is what I understand above everything else. Forget all the hyper expanding rounds. As I understand it, I need to keep to FMJ. It all boils down to a having a large entry wound that lets the air in so blood can get out. This is why I prefer a 45. 45 FMJ will cut thru a lot of material and at close range does a number on bones. A 9mm FMJ punches holes thru bones and keeps moving, a 45 breaks the bones into pieces and makes a surgeon play hide and seek amid the pieces. In a remote part of the world where trauma centers are far and few, I want the sucker to bleed out.

The desire of a compact carbine is being able to transport it in a case that is not going to draw attention to it. I have an AR set up that breaks down quite nicely and fits into a 5.11 carry-on bag. IF I could lose a couple of inches off the overall length of the upper, I'd be gold. But my goal is something even more compact. This is all about real world personal protection and not mall Ninja stuff. I have to consider firing from a car seat. If you have every tried to fire an AR from a car it is more challenging then you think. Especially if you have to move your torso around while firing. If it is more then 50 yards away, I need to evacuate the area or seek a better firing position. I would like something that I can have here in PRNJ that I can practice with and leave the non-NJ set up over there. Think Blackwater, but I'll be a two person operation protecting my own a**-ets. No risk, no rewards.

I know, its a tall order I am looking for, hence the Holy Grail reference.

Thanks for the collective use of your brains guys.

If portability and transport is that much to you, maybe get the Kel Tec? I know it sounds like a ghetto option but when it folds up it's so small.

b_0a2383ebe2c7f4d01af24df042e1a6c3sub2000_folded_left_6407hires.jpg

You can get it in 9mm (yes I know you don't want that) and .40 S&W. It can be configured to use Glock 22, Beretta 96, S&W 4006 and SIG P226 mags!

If portability and transport is that much to you, maybe get the Kel Tec? I know it sounds like a ghetto option but when it folds up it's so small.

You can get it in 9mm (yes I know you don't want that) and .40 S&W. It can be configured to use Glock 22, Beretta 96, S&W 4006 and SIG P226 mags!

Thanks, but again, mil-spec, not ghetto tech. I'd bet that would bend and be rendered useless falling hard into a prone position and landing on it. Doesn't look to sturdy to me. Thanks again, but the KelTec stuff isn't even close to the quality I am looking for.

I was looking for the same thing and did a lot of looking around. There are a number of companies that make carbines that use glock mags. There are a few AR uppers that use glock. Kel tec uses glock mags.

I sold my glock and don't intend o ever own another so glock was out of the question for me. Other options include the 1911 in 45 but your limited with mag capacity. There are carbines that use 1911 mags, I believe the camp carbine is an option. Beretta makes the CX storm which comes in 2 options; PX storm mags or 92 mags- 9 or 40. If you wanna go really cheap you can do Hi Point and get both for less then you would spend on a quality pistol. (I didn't want to go that cheap). I got a Ruger PC 4 carbine and a Ruger P94 pistol, both 40 cal and use the same mags. Like all Rugers these guns are built like tanks, a little heavy but very solid and high quality. The more Rugers I shoot the more I like Ruger guns.

Keep looking, there are options.

MedicYeti - There are a bunch of 1911 mags that have some decent capacity as you know. I love my 1911 and would have no reservation on buying another one to keep over there. I also have an old Ruger P90 with the decocker option. That think is a tank and I like using that as a training pistol because of the way is dissolves recoil and allows me to safety decock from a student. Thinking aloud here, wonder how I do a search on carbines that take 1911 mags via conversion kits or OEM.

MedicYeti - There are a bunch of 1911 mags that have some decent capacity as you know. I love my 1911 and would have no reservation on buying another one to keep over there. I also have an old Ruger P90 with the decocker option. That think is a tank and I like using that as a training pistol because of the way is dissolves recoil and allows me to safety decock from a student. Thinking aloud here, wonder how I do a search on carbines that take 1911 mags via conversion kits or OEM.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.html

or for Glock lowers:

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.html

I forgot all about a buddy that had a Marlin Camp Rifle that took 1911 mags. I wonder if they are still around and what kind of after market stocks are available. I wonder about how much it breaks down though....hmmm.

I forgot all about a buddy that had a Marlin Camp Rifle that took 1911 mags. I wonder if they are still around and what kind of after market stocks are available. I wonder about how much it breaks down though....hmmm.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=199014528

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=199014494

Hey Brother,

Without delving too deeply into PERSEC, I'm admittedly a little confused by your question. As I understand it, for overseas assignments with contracting companies, weapons are provided by assignment, and personal weapons are verboten. Supplemental gear, yes, but weapons are a no no. You can't get them through the various levels of customs and security in multiple countries, en route to your AO. Many guys in the field have commented over the years about having weapons related items like spare magazines confiscated. So, like I said, if you are moving into an armed assignment, weapons are provided. If you're moving into a supplementary civil engineering type assignment and you want to go armed, generally against policy, then you are buying in country and making due with what you can find...I have seriously considered the contractor thing a few times over the years, and have friends who are in the field. Generally speaking, think AK, Glock, Beretta, and the occasional M4 with a couple PMCs. Specialized weapons for a few special assignments...

Respectfully,

Harry

Well.... I know its not a mag compatible system but with 50 round mags available ouside of NJ, a PS90 might be a solution. Who needs mag compatibility with 50 round mags! You could have a Joisey legal one for practice and the "hack sawed" version abroad. Hell the US legal one is only 26.5 inches. Toss some elite ammo at 55grns @ 2400 fps in there and your GTG.

Harry, this is not a Blackwater or Triple Canopy gig, It is me, opening offices up in India and with other businesses. We will be working with various agencies within India, private companies and elements of the infra-structure (power, rail, water). This is personal security at the core. I mean me and my partner who spent 8 yrs with the Marines and 12 with the State Dept doing embassy work covering each other at all times.

Some of the elements we are in discussions with, will help assure we are allowed firearms for personal protection. As much as I would like to think everyone is friendly, I ain't stupid, I'm from NJ. There is a risk being a pale face in India. The biggest concern is having some Mao-ist / LeT groups finding out that we are consulting and helping to harden potential targets. These business ventures could put us on the X. We have a verbal understanding about having sidearms and long guns. Our first and main office is going to be within a few miles of the Embassy for many reasons. Contacts and relationships are being made with your band of brothers in country. It is all about relationships (greasing the wheel) and having them in the right places.

It looks like I am going to fall back on my two most trusted weapons that I started serving my country with, my 1911 and an AR. Between the two, many a BG has met his maker. I just wish I could simply.

Well you COULD get a Kel-Tec.. lol.

My Kel-Tec rocks, cost me 350 bucks and takes glock 22 15 round mags. They make this to accept Sig mags also. Shoot mine in .40 S&W and you'll buy one just for the hell of it.

I wouldn't say it's a holy grail combo tho...

One thing to note with the Marlin Camp guns is that they supposedly need to be cleaned aprox every 250 rounds to function properly. Not something I'm familiar with first hand, but something I ran across when doing research on them.

I really don't understand this whole thread. Everyone has given you viable answers to your beginning question but you turn them all down.

9mm? NO!

Kel-tec? NO!

Cx4? NO!

Mech carbines? NO!

PS90? NO!

Good luck in your search for the perfect be-all and end-all gun! Though I doubt you'll ever find it.

• Like 1