Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

New Jersey Politicians Want a List of NRA Members and Their Employers

From an NRA email alert;

In a blatant attempt by entrenched New Jersey politicians to strong arm citizens who oppose their re-election, Senator Barbara Buono (D-18) and Senator Loretta Weinberg have introduced legislation which would require certain contributors to "issue advocacy organizations", including the NRA and ANJRPC, to have their names, addresses and their employers' information sent to the government.

S2379, if passed, will mandate that any "issue advocacy organization" classified under IRS Code as a 501©(3), 501©(4) or 527 that engages in the election or defeat of any person to state or local elective office; the passage or defeat of any public question; or that provides political information on any candidate, must submit the names and addresses of contributors and their employers to the Election Law Enforcement Commission.

The State Government, Wagering, Tourism & Historic Preservation Committee will hear the bill on Monday, November 15th at 2:00 pm in Committee Room 7, 2nd Floor, State House Annex in Trenton, NJ.

S2379 is a shameless attempt to intimidate citizens who engage in the legislative and political process.

Here's the bill: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/S2500/2379_I1.HTM

Keep in mind that this effects ALL Gun Rights Groups who fall into this category.

• Like 1

I usually get some material from these stupid bills and laws, but this is just flat out SCARY! WTF is going on? These people just don't quit, do they? My wife and I were talking the other day about putting the house up for sale and I think it is time. I'd rather be "free" with little money that be under oppression with... well, no money!

kind of off topic.. and I ask this with all due respect to any NRA members.. but I am starting to drink that "hey NJ guy what has the NRA done for you" kool aide.. so seriously.. does the NRA do anything that matters on any level, besides call me more than ANY other telemarketer ever trying to solicit money from me..

• Like 2

kind of off topic.. and I ask this with all due respect to any NRA members.. but I am starting to drink that "hey NJ guy what has the NRA done for you" kool aide.. so seriously.. does the NRA do anything that matters on any level, besides call me more than ANY other telemarketer ever trying to solicit money from me..

While i have been critical of NRA's absence in NJ..I've turned away from that.. NRA is the NATIONAL Rifle Association, not the NEW JERSEY Rifle Association. The SHOULD concern themselves with national level issues, and we shoudlnt expect them to interfere on the state level, thats what state organizations like ANJRPC should be doing. As far as the Telemarkating and mail..call them and ask them to stop, and they do.

Now on this bill..I doubt ti will go through, IIRC it was hammered last time they tried it, To me it seems like a pretty clear privacy violation, and a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone's employer suddenly "Discovers" they are an NRA member and that somehow affects their employment.

While i have been critical of NRA's absence in NJ..I've turned away from that.. NRA is the NATIONAL Rifle Association, not the NEW JERSEY Rifle Association. The SHOULD concern themselves with national level issues, and we shoudlnt expect them to interfere on the state level, thats what state organizations like ANJRPC should be doing. As far as the Telemarkating and mail..call them and ask them to stop, and they do.

I totally agree.. and do NOT think that I am "special" lol I have taken quite a few NRA classes and appreciate that they do play that role of a national organization to unite shooters.. BUT even with that said that is where to me it ends.. they give the appearance of a pro-2a organization.. when they email, mail, etc.. they give the impression of a crusader fighting off the anti-2a world.. and the problem with that is this.. I live one of the top 5 worst places to live in regards to gun control.. granted.. that is my choice no one is forcing me.. but being a national organization crusading for the rights of gun owners.. what are they doing for me besides running nice noob friendly classes I can bring my friends to to get acquainted with safe firearms handling.. for me that is where it appears to end.. I can't buy "high cap mags".. I can not own a SBR.. or for that matter even a flash hider (on certain guns).. I am just saying for an organization that gives the impression of the white knight crusader.. I am not seeing a whole lot down on my end..

With regards to pro/anti gun legislation in NJ, not much. I hoped for awhile that ANJRPC would fill in the gap, but they seem to lack as well....but then again, the cards are stacked against us in this State. But hopefully when something big happens, forums like this will help wrangle everybody together.

But what the NRA does due is offer quality firearms instructors, and help various rifle/pistol clubs with reduced insurance rates, to help keep membership costs down.

Ask yourself this, *What has any National Gun Rights Organization done for NJ?*. Lot's of people joined the 2AF after McDonald, but they're even less involved with NJ, then the NRA.

thanks for the responses.. they are all fair.. I guess it is just frustrating because you have one body of people in location A and then you have one group of people in location B.. and the one group is so grossly far behind the other.. I would think that groups like the NRA would be ultra focused on us.. at least trying to bring us up to the rights that the other states have..

I'll leave it at that for now because I really don't want to take the thread any more off topic than I have already.. and for that I appologize.. but thanks for all the info..

Now on this bill..I doubt ti will go through, IIRC it was hammered last time they tried it, To me it seems like a pretty clear privacy violation, and a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone's employer suddenly "Discovers" they are an NRA member and that somehow affects their employment.

I totally disagree. Gun Control has always been a battle of thousands of little cuts. This is dangerous for ALL gun owners. Until the NATIONAL rifle association gets its head out of its a** and starts helping NJ, NYC, Cali, Chicago (Mass) and Philly gun owners - they will continue to be an organization that loses members and has less and less of a relevant voice in all politics.

The hard work is the right work.

• Like 3

state organizations like ANJRPC

Can we all stop pretending ANJRPC is a gun rights organization?

They're nothing but an organization that makes a bunch of money running a gun club and puts out some feel-good newsletters. They have not done jack in 5 months now since McDonald, I have not heard a peep out of them. They waited days after McDonald to post some laughably generic statement from the NRA and that's it. Oh whoop-dee-doo. :rolleyes:

Not for plaintiffs in a suit, not for more information about Brian Aitken, not for the many people who have been denied permits wrongly, not even any effort from them to try and get some consistency from town to town with permits.

ANJRPC is basically just "The Cherry Ridge Gun Club"

• Like 1

They're nothing but an organization that makes a bunch of money running a gun club and puts out some feel-good newsletters. They have not done jack in 5 months now since McDonald, I have not heard a peep out of them. They waited days after McDonald to post some laughably generic statement from the NRA and that's it. Oh whoop-dee-doo. :rolleyes:

Not for plaintiffs in a suit, not for more information about Brian Aitken, not for the many people who have been denied permits wrongly, not even any effort from them to try and get some consistency from town to town with permits.

Does NJ even have a Gun Rights organization?

I totally agree.. and do NOT think that I am "special" lol I have taken quite a few NRA classes and appreciate that they do play that role of a national organization to unite shooters.. BUT even with that said that is where to me it ends.. they give the appearance of a pro-2a organization.. when they email, mail, etc.. they give the impression of a crusader fighting off the anti-2a world.. and the problem with that is this.. I live one of the top 5 worst places to live in regards to gun control.. granted.. that is my choice no one is forcing me.. but being a national organization crusading for the rights of gun owners.. what are they doing for me besides running nice noob friendly classes I can bring my friends to to get acquainted with safe firearms handling.. for me that is where it appears to end.. I can't buy "high cap mags".. I can not own a SBR.. or for that matter even a flash hider (on certain guns).. I am just saying for an organization that gives the impression of the white knight crusader.. I am not seeing a whole lot down on my end..

While i dont LIKE it..the political reality is the same i've been posting here for what seems like forever. Democrats outnumber Republican voters (Registered) by IIRC on the order of 100,000, Registered "Non-Affiliated" Outnumber both of them put together..yet invariably the state voted Democrat.. Pallone's win last week is an example of that. The legislature is on record of being anti-gun, even most of the "Republicans". The AG's for decades have been Anti-gun, as have the Majority of the County Prosecutors. So, does NRA come in here, guns a-blazing and pour money down an endless hole, or do they spend it where they feel it will do some good? SAF is going about it in a different direction, through the courts, which will be MUCH more effective than trying to do anything through the Legislature. We are a VERY small Minority in this state, and we are NOT unified. Those of us who are EBR fans, or who believe in CCW are an even smaller minority within an already small group. I still belong to NRA ebcause i'm expecting them to keep an eye on the national arena, and I Donate to SAF because they are here doing fighting the Good Fight in about the only way we'll see any results. While i'm ANNOYED with NRA for some of the things they've done Vis-a-vis SAF's court battles, they are still the only game in town when it comes to our rights on the National level.

• Like 1

If you are going to Quote me Skippy, do it properly and dont cherry-pick.

thats what state organizations like ANJRPC should be doing

While i dont LIKE it..the political reality is the same i've been posting here for what seems like forever. Democrats outnumber Republican voters (Registered) by IIRC on the order of 100,000, Registered "Non-Affiliated" Outnumber both of them put together..yet invariably the state voted Democrat.. Pallone's win last week is an example of that. The legislature is on record of being anti-gun, even most of the "Republicans". The AG's for decades have been Anti-gun, as have the Majority of the County Prosecutors. So, does NRA come in here, guns a-blazing and pour money down an endless hole, or do they spend it where they feel it will do some good? SAF is going about it in a different direction, through the courts, which will be MUCH more effective than trying to do anything through the Legislature. We are a VERY small Minority in this state, and we are NOT unified. Those of us who are EBR fans, or who believe in CCW are an even smaller minority within an already small group. I still belong to NRA ebcause i'm expecting them to keep an eye on the national arena, and I Donate to SAF because they are here doing fighting the Good Fight in about the only way we'll see any results. While i'm ANNOYED with NRA for some of the things they've done Vis-a-vis SAF's court battles, they are still the only game in town when it comes to our rights on the National level.

And don't forget the gun owners who actually don't have a problem with NJ's gun laws, actually don't see what the big deal is, or just. don't. care. Some of them are on this very forum.

• Like 1

And don't forget the gun owners who actually don't have a problem with NJ's gun laws, actually don't see what the big deal is, or just. don't. care. Some of them are on this very forum.

I don't think "don't care or no big deal" is the issue. I think it's more like "it's an uphill battle, We're outnumbered, and our big guns (NRA) don't want to send in reinforcement."

• Like 2

Yes, we have TONS of people like that, it is likely the biggest obstacle to gun rights.

I don't think "don't care or no big deal" is the issue. I think it's more like "it's an uphill battle, We're outnumbered, and our big guns (NRA) don't want to send in reinforcement."

Actually, if you heard, what I was told by various NJ gun owners when One Gun a Month when I was trying to get them to call their rep's....... :icon_e_surprised:

But what reinforcement is the NRA gonna send in when NJ is so anti gun?

Yes, we have TONS of people like that, it is likely the biggest obstacle to gun rights.

Let me help you with that >

*Yes, we have TONS of people like that, they are the biggest obstacle to anything that could be considered gun rights in NJ*.

There.

I would agree that the NRA should do a lot more for us here in NJ, but keep in mind that they just laid the foundation for the repeal/overturning of the draconian laws we have here in NJ.

This is only likely to happen in federal court and will take many years, but at least now there are rulings to base lawsuits on.

But what reinforcement is the NRA gonna send in when NJ is so anti gun?

Help the SAF a bit, or more lobbyists, or even some funds for TV ads during elections. When the democrat brought up the expensive CCW bill, the NRA could have done something to at least bring attention to how ridiculous the proposition was.

• Like 1

Big words from a picture. 4 out of 5 people in here are afraid to speak up when their gun permit is given to them with illegal forms, who the fugg you think is gonna join you in your little "THIS IS SPARTA" fantasy?

The number is more like 4.9 out of 5 people. Just use the same kinda math that they use when they say the average nuclear family has 2.3 children.

• Like 1

I would agree that the NRA should do a lot more for us here in NJ, but keep in mind that they just laid the foundation for the repeal/overturning of the draconian laws we have here in NJ.

This is only likely to happen in federal court and will take many years, but at least now there are rulings to base lawsuits on.

Actually the Second Amendment Foundation did. The NRA has a bad habit of jumping on the bandwagon when it looks like they will win.

Read for yourself: http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1185527215310

Big words from a picture. 4 out of 5 people in here are afraid to speak up when their gun permit is given to them with illegal forms, who the fugg you think is gonna join you in your little "THIS IS SPARTA" fantasy?

Probably not you... It's just a piture, I havn't laid out any battle plans yet. Relax. Take a deep breathe.

Again, once you read this bill you realise that this bill does not say they want a list of NRA members. The NRA merely falls under the definition of an "issue advocacy organization."

A small point to split hairs on since the end result is the same thing if you re to contribute more than $2,100 pre year, but the alert headline sounds a little bit like a manipulation.

And your numbers come from where?

Again, once you read this bill you realise that this bill does not say they want a list of NRA members. The NRA is merely fall under the definition of an "issue advocacy organization."

As does PETA, MADD, The Anti Bear Hunt nutjobs, Ceasefire NJ, and a whole bunch more.

I don't see this going anywhere.